Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Cmax SEL Energi vs 2017 Cmax Titanium Energi

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:54 AM

Just came back from my long range trip to Indiana and back.  My buddy Ansy was following me there with his 2013 Cmax and we found out that the new 2017 Cmax gets around 3 mpg more on average for each segment of the trip.  I searched through my phone and found the trip to Indiana from last year with my 2013 Cmax.  Below are the pictures, see for yourself.  I did go into the ET screen and pull out the fuel burned for the 2017 Cmax for this trip, shows 33.91 gallons.

The trips are very similar, same exact destinations pretty much and the length of the trip is exactly the same amount of days.  Varied only by 28 miles over 2k miles.

Bottom line is, the 2017 Cmax gets better gas mileage than the 2013 version  :happy feet: And I still had 10% HVB when I got home last night meaning I burned a little bit too much gas -- new strategy I don't like to burn the battery climbing hills if the engine is hot.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 09 August 2017 - 05:57 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

That's great! I didn't understand your comment " new strategy I don't like to burn the battery climbing hills if the engine is hot." :headscratch: 

Paul

#23 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:53 AM

If the engine is already hot (that is, it won't keep running after it's needed), go ahead and use it to climb hills instead of sucking the battery dry.

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

Yes I'm in front.  We're cruising at 65, most people are passing me all the time in the left lane, even trucks, so not really drafting anyone.

I have to say I'm impressed!  The MPG numbers all day long were averaging over two and many times closer to 3mpg better.

He burned like 19.2 gallons of gas, going about 900 miles, I burned 16.7 gallons going almost the same distance about 10 miles less than him.

When I finally filled up my tank all the way in Lima Ohio, I got 648 miles range.  He filled up his, same gas station, got 606.  

I burned the battery nice and easy the last 50 miles of the trip, going between Auto and EV later about 100 times.  Auto every level section or downhill, EV later for any inclines.   This morning it showed 36 miles range.  We drove 100% EV today, about 24 miles, and didn't recharge during the day plugged in now to recharge at 3am.

A picture is a 1000 words, so check out the logs from the Cmax's in MFM below.

-=>Raja.

I noticed you got a better driving score, what does that mean?

Paul

#25 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

Paul,

If the engine is warm or has been used, then ignite it to climb the hill and go back on battery at the summit.  Using the battery to climb the hill:

a) drains it fast and

b) puts alot of stress on it and makes it temp rise faster.

If you're running with no engine (100% EV trip), then you have to use the battery to climb a hill.  However, if you are running in hybrid mode, never use the battery to climb any hills.  Yesterday I drained the battery without hills, and its showing next charge estimated range of 47 miles due to this.

As far as the driving score, its based on 3 things:

Your acceleration,

Your braking, and

Your speed.

We were driving pretty much the same speed, though if he fell behind he probably stepped on it harder to catch up.  That hurts your acceleration score and your blue bar for that.

Braking, if you don't get 99% braking for the trip or 100%, then your driving score drops.  A 98 brake score will mean 98 driving score max, and lower the lower the driving score.  You only get 1 mistake with braking, meaning a 99 brake score, and you can still get 99 driving score on a 100% EV trip.

Once you speed up past 40mph, the speed is too high and your driving score drops, from 99 downwards.  If you drive 65mph, its impossible to get a driving score higher than in the 80's.  

Hope this helps explain it.  Basically he was more harsh with his driving, hence the lower driving scores.  Lower scores means less efficient, and hence less MPG as well.

-=>Raja. 

Edited by rbort, 09 August 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Is it possible to figure out how much MPG's he lost because of driving score?  Also do you know if there was a difference in OT between the 2 trips you made that could account for some difference in MPG's for your 2 trips? Sorry just trying to cover all the bases. :smile2:

Paul 

#27 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

I was wondering why your mileage is so good. I got around 42-45mpg driving to Oklahoma and back, but a fair amount of that trip was at 65-75 mph. Probably would have been 45-48 ish with a new C-max.

Braking, if you don't get 99% braking for the trip or 100%, then your driving score drops.  A 98 brake score will mean 98 driving score max, and lower the lower the driving score.  You only get 1 mistake with braking, meaning a 99 brake score, and you can still get 99 driving score on a 100% EV trip.

Once you speed up past 40mph, the speed is too high and your driving score drops, from 99 downwards.  If you drive 65mph, its impossible to get a driving score higher than in the 80's.  

Hope this helps explain it.  Basically he was more harsh with his driving, hence the lower driving scores.  Lower scores means less efficient, and hence less MPG as well.

-=>Raja. 

#28 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Paul,

Hard to say, it was a year ago, the same week in August or there abouts.  Maybe slight differences, but nothing to write home about.  I think the new 2017 does better than the old 2013, I've proven that with having Ansy follow me all the way there and back and comparing instant MPG, average MPG and gas burned.

I was mowing the lawn and thought about this Paul, you need to sell your Hybrid and buy a 2017 Energi.  It would open up so many doors for you, having a battery to make choices with is WAY nicer than being stuck in hybrid mode 100% of the time.  You could even make new videos on how to driving the Energi, I'm sure you would enjoy that as well.   I did some but haven't really promoted them like you do, I think you really like getting views the Energi has your name all over it waiting for you!!

Sporkinum, I drive the car a certain way, I take my time to accelerate, in fact I wait for a downhill to pickup speed to 65mph, otherwise I'm at 2 bars waiting for the speed to get up there.  Little things like that, strive for 100% brake score, etc.  I also have the gas pods on my roof, I was pretty sure they made a difference in the past, so I continue to use them.

-=>Raja.

#29 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

It would be great if I could get rid of the HVB bump in the back. :smile2: My Life Time just went up to 49mpg with 159.6k mi. and I need to fillup so I'm hoping my Fuelly will go up to 48mpg. :happy feet:  I was thinking of renting a new Hybrid for next trip, putting Grill Covers and wheel covers on and see what MPG's I get. :headscratch:

Paul

#30 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

Does the hump really bother you that much?  Just imagine, you can add 20mpg more to your lifetime with a HVB hump.  I had 69.4 on mine after 4 years and all electricity I got was free due to charging on the road at free stations or at home on solar panels.  So the bottom line was 69mpg vs 49mpg with yours in hybrid mode all the time.

I don't think they rent Cmax cars, I haven't seen that as of yet.  Too expensive for the rental world I think, but maybe its different in your area.

-=>Raja.

#31 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

I don't think they rent Cmax cars, I haven't seen that as of yet.  Too expensive for the rental world I think, but maybe its different in your area.

-=>Raja.

Try Turo

#32 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

Try Turo

I just looked and there is a 16 NRG available not too far from me.

• ptjones and RubyMax like this

#33 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

Looks like it will take some serious looking. I did rent a FFH 2.5 yrs ago.  My Fuelly just went up to 48 mpg. :happy feet:

Does the hump really bother you that much?  Just imagine, you can add 20mpg more to your lifetime with a HVB hump.  I had 69.4 on mine after 4 years and all electricity I got was free due to charging on the road at free stations or at home on solar panels.  So the bottom line was 69mpg vs 49mpg with yours in hybrid mode all the time.

-=>Raja.

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 10 August 2017 - 01:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·