Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Cmax SEL Energi vs 2017 Cmax Titanium Energi

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

I thought I'd take a moment to log some differences between the two models.  As you all may well know, I had a 2013 Cmax until earlier this month and just recently replaced it with a 2017 model after a couple of people ran into my 2013 and ended up getting it totaled even though it was still very well driveable (just cosmetic body damage).

Anyway, putting that behind us, here are things that I note right off the bat.

On the left screen, the removed several screens like inform, enlighten if I recall correctly, and the climate screen.  The only 2 that they left is engage (engine and EV) and Empower.  Only way to see the climate draw now is by adding it in myview.

The trip meters have been truncated to not show the gas burned, however, you can still find the gas burned information in the ET screen.

They removed the MPGE option and the whole fuel economy selection screen (gas or gas and electric).  The car is permanently reporting in MPG now, which is what I always used when burning some gas combined with electric.  However for electric only I used MPGe.  Funny thing is, if you go to MFM, the trip log reports MPGe.  So when you drive 100% EV you can find your MPGe number there.  Its a pity its not available to me when I'm driving as I used that as a gage to see how well I'm doing.  Now its pegged 120+ all the time since the MPG always show 999.9 and practically the MPG gage on the right of the empower screen is useless - might as well not have it.  At least with MPGe it used to go down from 120 when you stepped on the accelerator.  In reality MPGe option should be there and that gage should have a range of 0 to 200 mpge to be ideal.

They removed the lifetime summary.  That used to be really nice to tell you how much gas vs electric miles are on the vehicle and you could calculate how many miles on your engine.

The removed the miles from the battery and moved them to the right screen.  That's OK I don't mind that, and now you can see the coach bars on the right screen, which is a good thing also.  I do wish that they would have put the battery % level on the battery itself, so this way I don't have to look at that on the MFT screen.   Would allow me to leave that screen on something else more useful such as the navigtation map.

They removed the ^ and down arrows above and below the battery, which indicated if you were charging the battery or discharging it.  That information used to be useful when for example you're plugged in and you're in the car running the heat or the AC, you could tell if the plug in power was overcoming the draw from the climate or not.  Now there is no way to see besides watching the battery % on the MFT screen.  Loss of a feature not necessary to delete.  Also it was nice to see when you took your foot off the gas that you're charging the battery vs using it.  Now they make the regen circles go around and around on the battery all the time when your foot is off the gas.  Before you could see if you are braking or not with that indicator, now its blended in with foot off the gas so if you brake you don't see if its happening or not.  For example, if you needed to stop hard in the past, you could shift to L and brake ever so slightly until you see the circles going around on the battery to know you're at maximum regen.  Now you don't know as the indicator is gone.

They added a Miles/Full charge screen which shows me 32 miles per full charge now.  It defaults to 20 miles per full charge when the car is new.  When you finish the ride, on the right side it shows you "next full charge" range in miles based on how you did, plus if you drove better or worse, if the climate was used or not, and if the temperature was better or worse.  That's new for the right side screen.

The MFT has been updated to Sync 3, that's a plus as its quicker and better than Sync 2.

They added some aerodynamic parts to the car.  If you look from below in the front you will see they covered up some gaps under the engine.  They also added some fins in front of the rear tires and some aerodynamic parts on the rear windshield.

They changed the engine oil from 5w-20 to 0w-20.

The front grill is a little smaller air inlets and there are some improvements in the hood sealing.

The headlights now have LED daytime running lights.

They seem to have a plastic cover now where you used to access the cabin air filter.  Not sure if you have to remove that cover now to access it or its in a different location.  Also in that plastic by the front passenger is a net to put something there, like maybe they phone.

The center console has a tray on top and has lost all the rgb and sd card ports.  All there is now is two USB ports and the 12v outlet.  

The glove compartment is shaped differently now on the inside and is in my opinion worse than the original.  It can't even fit my ipad in there now left to right.  I have to put it vertical and it tends to ride up when you're trying to close the door.

They changed all the trim inside to all black around the registers and stuff.  Used to be chrome on black, now its black on black.  Even the area next to the parking brake is all black now, no more silver there.  There is a small bin next to the 12v outlet where the heated seats dials used to be.

They removed the buttons on the ceiling to change the ambient colors inside the car.  Now they are controlled from the Sync 3 screen.  There doesn't seem to be a brightness option any more. used to be a knob for that in the ceiling.

They reduced the lighting inside the cabin.  Used to be more buttons on top of the driver, now all those are gone.  Just have two buttons in the center front to light either the left or right side lights, like in an airplane. 

The backup camera now has a zoom + button, to look in closer and see if something like a baby is on the ground behind you.

The wheels have been change to black on silver, all black inside with silver on the outside.  I like that as the black inside doesn't show the brake dust and such.

The climate control is all different now.  Heated seats are incorporated into that panel instead of rolling switches as before.  It seems to work better selecting different temperatures, where in the past it used to be sort of like ON or OFF, you turn the AC from 67 to 70 to 72 its the same thing in the past, and at 75 it turns the heat on.  I think this is an improvement for sure.

This time around I got the 501a package with self parking and driver assist.  I like the warnings it gives for approaching cars.  Self parking works like a champ, I tried it a couple of times.

Cruise control now automatically regens down hills, like pushing hill assist to not let the car run away downhill.  In the past you needed to manually select hill assist or L to hold your speed.

I may have missed something, but this is what comes to mind so far.  Any questions please ask.

-=>Raja.

• SELT likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

Battery performance, new vs 4 years old for me:

If you watch the kWh meter along with the charge % of the battery, you see the following:

2013 Cmax:

1.1 kWh, battery at 82%
2.2 kWh, battery at 59%
2.6 kWh, battery at 50%
3.3 kWh, battery at 37%
4.4 kWh, battery at 12%
5.5kwh, battery completely used including hybrid.

2017 Cmax:

1.1kwh, battery at 85%
2.2 kWh, battery at 65%
2.9 kWh, battery at 50%
3.2 kWh, battery at 45%

This is as far as I got today driving to the dealer 18.6 miles, estimated total range 33 miles.

You can use those numbers to compare your battery to both my old and new Cmax.

As the battery gets older, it nose dives faster towards the end of the charge, because some cells crash sooner than others and take the pack down with them. I made a couple of mistakes charging the battery too many times in a day or charging it in the baking sun with the old car. I won't do that again with the new one and hopefully have an even better battery life this time around now that I know better.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 25 July 2017 - 07:05 AM.

• miboje and Amkis like this

#3 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

wow, it looks like a lot of changes from 16 to 17.  most of the things missing are still on my 16.

#4 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

I was about to say that it sounds just like my '16, except for the heated seat and ambient lighting controls (and different headlights)

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

Yes Josh a big change in the 17, the 16 was just like the 13 but with the cut out stuff like lifetime warranty, number on the battery, and mpge if I recall correctly.

Two more thing I remembered now:

a) The passenger chair is powered now, wasn't before.

b) The windows are easier to move up or down just a little bit.  In the past if you didn't blip the button, it went all the way up or all the way down.  Now it seems you have more leeway in tapping the button to move them just a little bit without having the go the whole way.

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

On the way to Indiana, filled up the gas tank for the first time after the 500+ mile trip from the dealer home, I had about 1/4 left.  Range to empty showed 661 miles (compared to dealer's tank at 490 or something like that).  Now in CT heading west.  We will see how it fares out when I fill up next in Ohio.  Personally I think the engine is still tight and needs more breakin before the MPG numbers come up more.  

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 27 July 2017 - 02:09 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

Good luck!

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:54 AM

Real world comparisons.

So I have my friend Ansy following me to Indiana, we met up in CT.  He's in a 2013 Cmax and I'm in the new 2017.

We're talking on the phone the whole time.  I had him reset his MPG meter at the same time I reset mine.

On the highway at 65mph in cruise, the new 2017 Cmax net on average between 2 to 3 mpg.   I had him check the RPMS and in most cases his engine revs more than mine, about 300 rpms more on average.  Seems like Ford changed something with the gear ratio or the programming of the engine vs battery assist.

When we got off the highway, I had a little more battery than he did.  I burned mine down to 55% same as his and then we reset the trip meters again.  Drove 40mph and we used up the battery slowly, switching to EV later to climb any and all hills.

Ended up with 3mpg more than he did, 77 for him, I got 80.

Today we're leaving from PA to IN, will do the same see how things go.  He's burning more gas than I am too, his range seems to be less than mine even though we drove about the same, well it makes sense right, since he's got less MPG numbers.

I do have my gas pods on my roof, he doesn't.  He is running 50psi in his tires, I'm running 46.  Below is this morning's Angel's range.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 28 July 2017 - 04:58 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:53 AM

Your in front too right? So your not getting a draft from him.
Ford does claim better numbers on the 17.

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Yes I'm in front.  We're cruising at 65, most people are passing me all the time in the left lane, even trucks, so not really drafting anyone.

I have to say I'm impressed!  The MPG numbers all day long were averaging over two and many times closer to 3mpg better.

He burned like 19.2 gallons of gas, going about 900 miles, I burned 16.7 gallons going almost the same distance about 10 miles less than him.

When I finally filled up my tank all the way in Lima Ohio, I got 648 miles range.  He filled up his, same gas station, got 606.  

I burned the battery nice and easy the last 50 miles of the trip, going between Auto and EV later about 100 times.  Auto every level section or downhill, EV later for any inclines.   This morning it showed 36 miles range.  We drove 100% EV today, about 24 miles, and didn't recharge during the day plugged in now to recharge at 3am.

A picture is a 1000 words, so check out the logs from the Cmax's in MFM below.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 29 July 2017 - 07:39 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

Things I've noticed:

The new 2017 doesn't seem to charge the battery as hard in EV later.  In general when you set EV later the car wants to use the battery whenever possible.  It tends to hover 1 to 2 points on average below EV later set point.  If I push it at 93, its hanging around 91 to 92 most of the time.  If it gets to 90 then the car wants to charge it a little faster it seems from my observations, but otherwise its content on using the battery more often.  It seems to be working and the old trick of keeping the engine running to get 45 to 50mpg with the 2013 model is hard to do now, that seems to be something of the past with the new model.

Also I noticed that the car is much easier to fire up the ICE when you're switching from Auto to EV later to climb an incline.  The accelerator pedal seems to be better, less "blank" room in it, just a little nudge and the engine is up and running.  

2nd the brake pedal seems to be more well balanced, easier to brake and regen and you can push on it a little more and get the regen you're expecting to get.  I don't know how to explain it in good words, but it just feels more natural to me and not as "finniky" if that makes any sense?

I would say the Ford really could raise the MPG numbers of this car even more, back into the mid 40's even.  I mean I drove 900 miles, yes I used the battery to help me get into the 50's mpg numbers, but even without the battery as you can see from above I was well into the 40's even at 65mph cruise.

-=>Raja.

• Xmp99 likes this

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

One more new thing I noticed today, if you leave the tailgate open after some time all the lights go out.  With the old 2013 the outside lights time out after some time but the inside white lights on the inside of the hatch stay on.  I noticed today they are off with the 2017 model, happy to see that.

-=>Raja.

#13 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

I find it fairly easy to keep the ice running on level ground at 65, but go down a gentle slope and it's EV. Could be a different threashold on the NRG however.

Edited by Joshg678, 30 July 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

One 2017 novelty might be the "DISP" button on my Sony stereo. A Ford tech was surprised to see it there, anyhow. I was delighted -- literally -- when I discovered that it turns off the central display screen. One push, and a blessed blackness takes the place of a bright distraction. Perfect for night driving, and distractible drivers like me. 

#15 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

Yes I'm in front.  We're cruising at 65, most people are passing me all the time in the left lane, even trucks, so not really drafting anyone.

I have to say I'm impressed!  The MPG numbers all day long were averaging over two and many times closer to 3mpg better.

He burned like 19.2 gallons of gas, going about 900 miles, I burned 16.7 gallons going almost the same distance about 10 miles less than him.

When I finally filled up my tank all the way in Lima Ohio, I got 648 miles range.  He filled up his, same gas station, got 606.  

I burned the battery nice and easy the last 50 miles of the trip, going between Auto and EV later about 100 times.  Auto every level section or downhill, EV later for any inclines.   This morning it showed 36 miles range.  We drove 100% EV today, about 24 miles, and didn't recharge during the day plugged in now to recharge at 3am.

A picture is a 1000 words, so check out the logs from the Cmax's in MFM below.

-=>Raja.

Did you both fillup to compare Numbers and how many miles on Ansy CMAX?  Would HVB capacity have anything to do with it? :smile2: 

Paul 

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

Yes we both filled up at the same gas station on the way over here to Indiana.  Once the tanks were full, the indicated range was different between the two cars.

We were running pretty much 100% hybrid mode, not using the HVB so in essence its like your car Paul.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#17 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

Yes we both filled up at the same gas station on the way over here to Indiana.  Once the tanks were full, the indicated range was different between the two cars.

We were running pretty much 100% hybrid mode, not using the HVB so in essence its like your car Paul.

-=>Raja.

I wonder if they changed the  NRG gearing to the Hybrid gearing, the difference in RPM's. :headscratch:

Paul

#18 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

I wonder if they changed the  NRG gearing to the Hybrid gearing, the difference in RPM's. :headscratch:

Paul

Since it's a CVT. wouldn't that just be a software change?

#19 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

When the CMAX Hybrid and NRG first came out for the 2013 Model FORD said the NRG had a little lower gearing, I'm guessing to compensate for additional weight. :headscratch:  I believe part # weren't the same for the Trans. Also Hybrid got better MPG's and NRG in hybrid mode.

Paul

#20 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

There is still a final drive gear ratio in the differential (What sits mechcnically between both the left and right axles and the final transmission output/MG1). I believe it has been mentioned it varies between hybrid/NRG's and some years. I don't know the exact details off the top of my head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·