Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

level 2 charge, disappointing results

level 2 chargepoint

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayheyBj

SayheyBj

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSalem MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:C-max energi

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

I have been charging my 2017 Energi with a 110 volt outlet and had good results 20 mi + since May. Today I went to a local Chargepoint Level 2 charger at the municpal parking garage. After receiving a full charge, the battery discharged after just under 10 miles. No change in driving style, just started drifting down at a fast pace. Is this common when changing the type of charging station? 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jpf44736

jpf44736

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationnew england
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

I have a 2017 C-Max Energi which I normally charge at home with 120V. I typically get about 25 miles per charge. I've used level 2 Charge Point on occasion and have not noticed any significant difference. I can't think of why there would be a difference. Once that battery is charged to a certain level it shouldn't matter how it was charged. There are some questions about Level 2 charging in hot weather having more potential for battery degradation but this would be more long term if it is true.

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

No shouldn't make a difference at all.  Maybe you had the heat on by mistake, or the AC to say the least but only heat would kill the miles that fast.

I now have a 2017 Cmax also and my EV range is 32 to 34 miles per charge.  Its all how you drive the car.  If your coach bars are not full blue, expect less range.  If you want more range, make them all full blue.

-=>Raja.

#4 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

it could be that the battery was hot to start with and that is why the charging ended?

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

No, never seen that.  If its hot you just bake it some more and take some life off, but nothing noticable that day.  Its just slowly additive day after day depending on your actions.

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,172 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:44 AM

My guess:  the OP's battery was warm from the first drive when they got to the 240v charger and then heating up a lot more when charging it at the higher rate in the summer heat.  This got both the battery and the interior of the car very warm so the A/C load was at maximum for a major portion of the next drive.  So, the range estimator took this into account and kept dropping the miles left accordingly due to these factors:  heavy sub-system loads, heat (battery, cabin and outside), and "normal" driving.  The range estimator will also skew a lot when one drives up steep mountain grades and very high speeds.  Battery temps are impossible to see for most owners who don't have a way to monitor them using a third party gauge.

Currently, my estimator is way down to due A) short trips with heavy a/c loads in high heat (100+) and B) long sessions of teaching son to parallel park (again with heavy a/c loads but very few miles traveled).  Folks up north can see the same thing in their winters if they use electric heat a lot.

Bottom line:  120v vs 240v charging had nothing to do with this range issue.  Electrons are electrons; some aren't less efficient than others.  It is also possible there was a charge error with either the public charger or the car and an operator error of not noticing a complete charge didn't happen.  Lots of stories on plug-in forums of incomplete/failed charge sessions.

Edited by fotomoto, 25 July 2017 - 05:44 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

Bottom line:  120v vs 240v charging had nothing to do with this range issue.  Electrons are electrons; some aren't less efficient than others.

Range, true, no difference.

Efficiency, kinda sorta. Charging @ 240V is probably about 2% more efficient.

#8 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,172 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

Range, true, no difference.

Efficiency, kinda sorta. Charging @ 240V is probably about 2% more efficient.

True I was talking about range not charge efficiency.  A full battery whether charged by 120 or 240 will have the same amount of electrons (range).  

#9 OFFLINE   SayheyBj

SayheyBj

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSalem MA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max energi

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for all of the responses. I'll give the charging station another try. The station is only 1+ miles from my home and it was drizzling when I drove there. Temps were in the 60s and I didn't have the ac on, though the fan might have been on a low setting. Always glad to read about electrons:)

#10 OFFLINE   mrc59

mrc59

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMetro DC
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

Sounds more like the charger cut out early?  Have you checked the online record of the charging session.  The graph may show you something.

#11 OFFLINE   bob_ninja

bob_ninja

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOntario
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi 2017

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

I use L2 at home every night. I always wait 2+ hrs for battery to cool down before plugin. I get over 50 km range, no issues.

Indeed, sometimes there may be connection issues. ChargePoint should report energy charged when you unplug.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: level 2, chargepoint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·