Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

AC Cutting Out When Stopped

air conditioning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Julius8

Julius8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin Tx
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max energi

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

During city driving (i.e. Lots of traffic lights) the ac cuts out every time I stop the car whilst still in drive but with my foot on the brake. I'm convinced this is a fuel saving measure and have owned previous hybrids that did this in 'super eco' mode. In other hybrids just changing the eco settings solved the issue.

Does anyone know how to do this on the Cmax Energi? Having my passenger passing out in 105 degree heat in Texas traffic....again......is something I want to avoid!
Unless anyone knows a work around?
We have tried all the settings menus, read the manual and gone through all the CC controls...... any ideas anyone?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMilwaukee
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Explorer

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:05 PM

I've never experienced this

#3 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

Never had it on mine either. Older hybrids used to do it because they still used a belt/engine operated AC compressor and would cut out when the engine stopped. Ours are electrically run and are not tied to engine operation and could run at any time. HVAC system doesn't even have an Eco mode to speak of (Other than Max Deforst as an anti-Eco thing as if memory serves, I have not had a chance to test myself, it will turn on the engine to generate quick heat).

By 'cut out' exactly what is it doing? Does the A/C light go out? What's the climate energy gauge doing?

One possibile issue that I have run into personally is having the evap core freeze up when running Max A/C at low fan speeds. Symptoms will be air flow will be severely reduced even at max blower speed regardless of vent mode. I am convinced Ford still has not gotten the hint of adding an Evap core sensor to prevent freezeups as this has been a recurring theme going all the way back to at least the 90s. If you think this may be your issue, next time it happens turn off recirc and A/C but leave everything else set. What will likely happen is you'll start getting actual water sprayed out of the vents depending on fan speed. If that's the case, then there you go.

• sporkinum likes this

#4 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:25 AM

Never had it on mine either. Older hybrids used to do it because they still used a belt/engine operated AC compressor and would cut out when the engine stopped. Ours are electrically run and are not tied to engine operation and could run at any time. HVAC system doesn't even have an Eco mode to speak of (Other than Max Deforst as an anti-Eco thing as if memory serves, I have not had a chance to test myself, it will turn on the engine to generate quick heat).

By 'cut out' exactly what is it doing? Does the A/C light go out? What's the climate energy gauge doing?

One possibile issue that I have run into personally is having the evap core freeze up when running Max A/C at low fan speeds. Symptoms will be air flow will be severely reduced even at max blower speed regardless of vent mode. I am convinced Ford still has not gotten the hint of adding an Evap core sensor to prevent freezeups as this has been a recurring theme going all the way back to at least the 90s. If you think this may be your issue, next time it happens turn off recirc and A/C but leave everything else set. What will likely happen is you'll start getting actual water sprayed out of the vents depending on fan speed. If that's the case, then there you go.

Had this very same problem happen on vacation a few weeks ago. Had to shut down AC for about 30 minutes to allow it to thaw out, then everything was fine after that.

Edited by sporkinum, 21 July 2017 - 05:09 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Julius8

Julius8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin Tx
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max energi

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.
To answer your questions:
The climate control remains in Lo and all other settings remain the same. Ac and Max ac lights still on.
The only thing that changes is that the air stops blowing cold and the power management screens show that power to the climate control is reduced. After driving again for a few seconds the air blows cold again. I did a 200 mile journey this week and the air blew ice cold all the time. It just stops blowing cold when parked at lights or stationary for a few seconds which is exactly what my old hybrid used to do. But thanks for the explanation...at least I haven't missed something in the manual.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,952 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

Sounds like you have some issue.  Shouldn't do it.  The AC is electric and can run in Park while you're stopped.  Try to park at a charger, plug in, power up and car with your foot on the brake (ready to drive) and run the AC.  Did it work then all the time with the car on external power?

Look at the climate screen,  if the AC is running it should have some white bar draw.  If you turn off the AC it should go totally blank.  When you experience the cut out, it should be totally blank, but you say its "reduced"?

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 21 July 2017 - 06:36 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: air conditioning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·