Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

MFM will not Update...suggestions?

mfm not updating

Best Answer altabrig , 19 July 2017 - 07:25 AM

Disconnect of positive worked! MFD setting want from a 2010 date and no value charge to my previous settings and MFM BACK ONLINE!

The positive clamp is bulky and awkward in the tight space - that is all. To do it right, removing the negative clamp require removing the air vents with multiple push pins, torx bolts, etc.

The failure to sync and remote start alerts came through and a false Chunk fully charged came through at plug in with only 14% on the HVB. Otherwise all is working with MFM!

I have almost chopped the plug and put on a heavy duty. Not sure to go with 15 or 20 amp and don't want to screw with it yet being this is the second cable in less than four years. Due to the fact that both have failed in the same manner, I plan on seeking some recourse and don't want to void that attempt via DIY plug mod. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

It is in the panel behind the rear drivers side door.

You can pop that panel loose and access it from the side while standing there in the rear door area. That's what I observed them do when they replaced mine.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 17 August 2017 - 04:04 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford C-MAX Energi

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:32 AM

I don't see a panel I can remove, can you describe it further?

You can pop that panel loose and access it from the side while standing there in the rear door area. That's what I observed them do when they replaced mine.

-=>Raja.

Edited by danielmcross, 18 August 2017 - 03:39 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:44 AM

I found it - you're right, I see what you mean now - that very large plastic interior panel.. I popped it open enough to see the TCU in there. That's a tough location to access.

Thanks! Going to see if I can get enough access to actually see the part #.

I don't see a panel I can remove, can you describe it further?

#24 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:47 AM

I found it - you're right, I see what you mean now - that very large plastic interior panel.. I popped it open enough to see the TCU in there. That's a tough location to access.

-=>Raja.

#25 OFFLINE   cat-max

cat-max

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationillinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Energi 302a

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:08 AM

Local dealership has advised me that "Sync Service is no Longer Available, Has been Discontinued."  :(

#26 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:10 AM

Local dealership has advised me that "Sync Service is no Longer Available, Has been Discontinued."  :(

You should not accept that answer. Talking to your local dealer about this issue is probably not worth your time. In my experience they simply do not understand MyFordMobile, or how it works and SYNC is not MFM. Whoever you talked to just didn't feel like talking to you and they shouldn't be talking to customers.

#27 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:14 AM

Ok well I couldn't get the panel off enough to see the part # the car is going into the shop in less than an hour so I guess my curiosity will have to wait.

It seems like to remove that panel requires removing a few bolts in addition to popping loose the plastic bits that retain it.

I'll update to this thread once we get the car back and then I'll do a photo tutorial of removing that panel and inspecting the TCU to find out if it's still an old 2G modem in there.

• miboje likes this

#28 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:14 AM

Daniel would you take a picture of the popped panel and post it when you try to get the part number.

Thanks
Bob
  • miboje likes this

#29 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

I definitely will - this is information that could be important to a lot of people. I'l just have to figure out exactly how to get the panel all the way off and that may take some time.

My worry is that is the dealership did install the wrong part last year and just replaced the 2G modem with another 2G modem they won't admit it. I was hoping to see for myself as I doubt they'll want to admit to a mistake if they don't have to. Easier for them to put in another modem and claim it "went bad".

I have radio frequency analysis software on my laptop and it shows 2G frequencies being emitted in my garage. Car is the only thing in the house I'd expect to be trying to use those frequencies and modulations and they stop when you pull fuse F67.

Local dealer is jam-packed wall to wall with dummies in the sales and service management area. I have no beef with the techs who do the work and I imagine their work is more frustrating than it needs to be when Ford has a poorly organized recall program and their local management is about as useful as glitter on sushi.

NULIUS IN VERBA - "See For Yourself"

Daniel would you take a picture of the popped panel and post it when you try to get the part number.

Thanks
Bob

#30 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:22 AM

Update: At Dealership now. Service Writer does not understand the problem so nothing to do but sit here and let them run through every step in whatever half-assed protocol they have in the shop manual and wait.

Trying to save them a few steps but they aren't very receptive.

I predict they won't have the new TCU/modem in stock anyway.

#31 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:07 AM

Still at dealer. They did replace the TCU back in February of this year but when they did they did not update it to its newest software so the SDR was still acting as a 2G radio.

Technician has updated this TCU twice now and it still shows CPPM ESN unknown.

I really feel bad for the technician - the information available to him from various technical resources Ford provides is really terrible. He has an enhanced vehicle control module that plugs into the OBD port on the car where he has access to tons more information than your typical diagnostic device. The TCU passes a diagnostic but the cellular radio is clearly not working.

I think they are going to give up soon and replace the TCU, which of course is not in stock so I probably won't have any information to add for a week or so.

• miboje likes this

#32 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

Local dealer is jam-packed wall to wall with dummies in the sales and service management area. I have no beef with the techs who do the work and I imagine their work is more frustrating than it needs to be when Ford has a poorly organized recall program and their local management is about as useful as glitter on sushi.

NULIUS IN VERBA - "See For Yourself"

Obviously you are more technically adept than the service writers.    

Write a letter to Ford if you have not and then back it up with calls to the Ford Customer Service line in Michigan.

Ford should back you up in getting this issue resolved with the correct flash/TCU or whatever module update is needed.  The TCU is a problem for many and should be a FORD covered issue as needed short of a full recall (probably not needed because most are probably fine).

I had very similar issues with the service writer at the local dealership.   Ended up with Ford making sure it was resolved correctly with far better customer service.  The tech at the original dealership did not follow the TSB steps correctly and they overcharged 250% based on the Ford time allotment for the TSB.

Hope you are able to see it through.  Took us two months.

• miboje likes this

#33 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Last update for now: My original theory was right.

When the dealership did the recall they replaced the TCU with the same part that was under recall instead of the correct new TCU. As a result, the new TCU was still a 2G modem so when AT&T shut down all their 2G networks it stopped working. I imagine this problem is a problem for more people than just me.

Further, when the technicians try to re-program the old model TCU it will actually TAKE THE UPGRADE and report it is successful because the TCU part is fine but the modem in the TCU is not. The diagnostics are not specific enough for a technician to see the actual problem with the modem inside the TCU.

I've been in the service bay with the technician for about 3 hours helping figure all of this out and I will try to make sure all of this information gets pushed up the chain in Ford so all dealerships and techs can better solve this.

So far now I am driving around with no TCU. Dealership has no new TCUs in stock so I have to wait for the part to arrive to try this all again.

As far as panel goes, the technician did not fully remove the interior panel. He popped it open enough to pull the TCU out. He used a long handled tool with a wide blade type end to pry the TCU off. It is held to the car with four plastic posts. I will do the same in my garage and take some pictures once I can rig up adequate lighting.

#34 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Yes, its crazy, they reach in there to pop the modem out.  When I got my car back, the panel was no all the way back in properly.  I popped it back in, and in doing so I heard a screw or a clip drop inside.  I hated that part, they take stuff out but they don't put all the screws back in properly.

-=>Raja.

#35 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

PICTURES: http://imgur.com/a/2SRMR

Update: Now with pictures of how to locate your TCU. I don't know if it is in the same location in all C-Max Energi vehicles but it likely is. Sorry for the less than awesome picture quality. I am not much of a photographer, I'm using an old iphone and it's cloudy and raining hard today so I am not getting as much light as I would have liked. As you will see I am also not a graphic artist. ;)

In my 2015 C-Max Energi the TCU is located behind an interior plastic panel on the driver side of the car most easily accessed by folding down the rear driver side seat - thanks to forum use rbort for leading me to it. http://fordcmaxenerg...ser/1065-rbort/

I added captions to photos to try to clarify for anyone else who wants to find their TCU. Apologies for not including pictures of the TCU, mine was removed by the dealership today. If possible when they replace the TCU I will add pictures of how the TCU is mounted to the car.

• miboje and sporkinum like this

#36 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

How to tell if your TCU is the wrong one. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE C-MAX ENERGI. THERE ARE DIFFERENT PART NUMBERS FOR OTHER FORD MODELS.

If you can get to your TCU the part number should be GM5Z-14G229-BD

The important part is the GM5Z. The OLD TCUs are GM5T.  Even if the recall work was done if they put a GM5T TCU in your car as a replacement it is the wrong hardware.

If your TCU is GM5Z then you have the correct hardware but it still might not have the latest software and might need to be re-programmed at the dealer.

Hope all of my posts are helpful to anyone out there whose MyFordMobile quit working. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case I can answer any questions.

• miboje likes this

#37 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

How to tell if your TCU is the wrong one. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE C-MAX ENERGI. THERE ARE DIFFERENT PART NUMBERS FOR OTHER FORD MODELS.

If you can get to your TCU the part number should be GM5Z-14G229-BD

The important part is the GM5Z. The OLD TCUs are GM5T.  Even if the recall work was done if they put a GM5T TCU in your car as a replacement it is the wrong hardware.

If your TCU is GM5Z then you have the correct hardware but it still might not have the latest software and might need to be re-programmed at the dealer.

Hope all of my posts are helpful to anyone out there whose MyFordMobile quit working. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case I can answer any questions.

Great information.  Thanks for posting pictures.   Very helpful posts.

#38 OFFLINE   cat-max

cat-max

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationillinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Energi 302a

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Good info and the pics are worth a thousand words each. I'm going to take a look and see what I have in there. Please keep us updated. THX

#39 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for the Picts.

Bob

#40 OFFLINE   danielmcross

danielmcross

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

Update: Dealer got the part this morning so I took the car over and they replaced the TCU/Internal Modem. It's back on MyFordMobile now and working perfectly.

So - important notes for anyone troubleshooting this. The part # on your TCU probably starts with GM5T. It seems this old part # sticker is still used on the new TCUs and in Ford's parts ordering system it is still starts with GM5T and the "engineering part number" (some sort of internal number) also starts with GM5T but the new part number starts with GM5Z in some of the recall paperwork. Super confusing for the service writers and techs - Ford is really not doing the dealerships any favors in the way they are handling this recall.

There is another part number sticker on the TCU, I didn't get the whole part # but the important two characters are AD or AG. If you see AD - you have the OLD hardware and it will not work. Even though the TCU takes the new programming and the onboard diagnostics say all is good - IT IS NOT GOOD. The diagnostics are lying. You need the "AG" part number.

I will try to get my TCU back out and take pictures of these part number stickers but in the meantime if anyone is having trouble getting their dealership to be able to fix your MFM problem tell them to make sure the correct TCU is installed - just because they did the recall doesn't mean they used the right hardware.

If you just can't get them to understand, tell them to look for notes from a technician named Tucker at Rowe Ford in Westbrook, Maine. He and I figured this out and he should be able to explain this all to the service department at any dealership who is struggling with this fiasco.

Good luck to all, I'll keep monitoring this thread for questions.

• miboje likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·