Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Inverter System Controller Coolant

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMilwaukee
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Explorer

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

Checking fluids today after a road trip and it appears this coolant is just below the "MIN" line. Checking the owners manual, it states to immediately refill. It directs the reader to "Capacities and Specifications" to find the prediluted coolant meeting Ford specs. When I check that page, it lists every fluid except the Inverter System Controller Coolant. Anybody know what type to buy and from where?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

I researched this before. It is in our manual, but I guess you have to look carefully.

VC-3DIL-B

They don't trust us to mix the concentrated stuff to 50/50....

Only 50/50 preduluted ORANGE coolant.

Spec. WSS-M97B44-D2

Edited by jzchen, 09 July 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMilwaukee
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Explorer

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. Has anyone ever had to add this coolant? Think my dealer would take care of it for me under warranty?

#4 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

On other forums I get a notice in my email inbox of a response to threads I follow or quotes of my posts.  I'm afraid I got used to that and didn't check back here, which doesn't seem to do the same.

Yes, I have added to both the inverter controller and engine reservoirs.  I believe I used fordparts.com to order it from a local dealer at a slight discount, for local pick up.  The inverter coolant reservoir cap does not seem to seal well, and I find the reservoir top quite dirty after a while with what looks like dirt which collects and sticks to the coolant that seems to seep out.

They are supposed to top it off during a normal service, ie. oil change, but I would not think topping it off would be a warranty concern, although I feel the leak I've explained is.  They might do it as a courtesy...

#5 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 410 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:01 AM

I have 42K miles on mine and had to add about a pint or so to mine I was kind of surprised since where would it go?  But the cap does seem to be the issue.

#6 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

The Inverter Controller Coolant volume is small/very small, that is why it is important to keep it up to the proper level....

The area around the cap gets really dirty, like caked on dirt, most likely coolant absorbing it, and sticking like paste.  Cleaned the cap and reservoir area where it sits very carefully this time.  (I have a feeling, although I do not recall, having done this before though, when I've added in the past).  Coolant for the engine was perfectly fine this time around.

#7 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

Good idea to check Inverter Controller Fluid, mine was below minimum mark, just added about a 1/2 cup of ICE Coolant to the reservoir not worth messing around diluting it.   :smile2:

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:30 AM

Good idea to check Inverter Controller Fluid, mine was below minimum mark, just added about a 1/2 cup of ICE Coolant to the reservoir not worth messing around diluting it.   :smile2:

Paul

Should be 50/50 Paul.  If it is too concentrated it has poor heat transfer properties, meaning it doesn't absorb heat well.  Just to be clear, you added the non-prediluted/concentrated stuff straight?  The specifications are for prediluted fluid ONLY.

#9 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

We are slitting hairs here, cooling system holds 35 oz and I put in 3-4 oz or 10% which would change the % from 50% to 51-52% overall, this fluid doesn't get that hot. The ICE cooling system is a different situation. :smile2: BTW the NASCAR guys don't use coolant and they go up to 260-280*F. 

Paul

#10 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

The coolant keeps it from freezing and the water is better for heat transfer. More water is better but the coolant does raise the boiling temp too.
2-5% off isn't going to matter on a low heat item like the inverter.
  • ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·