Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2017 c-max energi 12v battery problems

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SyNRG

SyNRG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAnaheim, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

We have a 2013 and have not experienced this problem.  

Curious, do you keep anything plugged into the USB ports or 12v, constantly?  

None, of the interior lights are accidentally left on?

How often do you plug-in your car?

Lastly, have you checked what your 12v battery readings are?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ke6mji

ke6mji

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Locationca
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 c-max energi

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Never plugged the car in, no accessory's plugged in to the 12v outlets, always walk around car looking for anything on,

every time i lock it.

Haven't had to jump start it now that the weather is warm.

Steve

#23 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

I got it.  Takes an Rbort not a dealer to fix your problem!!!

The glove compartment light is staying on.  Check it in the dark, you open you close the damn thing, light doesn't go out for a while until it finally times out.

Please confirm is this what you have?  If so that very well is part of your problem.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 13 July 2017 - 06:27 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:03 AM

Update:

After the car died for a second day in a row, we had the car towed to the dealer.  The Service Manager has basically admitted he's at a loss for what could be happening and he has spoken to Ford to get an engineer to look at the problem, but Ford will not send an engineer until the problem can be repeated by the dealer.  So the dealer is mimicing my wife's driving habits to try to reproduce the problem. 

We've decided to invoke the Lemon Law and we're starting the paperwork to get Ford to buy the car back.  I explained the issue to Ford Customer Service over email 5 days ago but I have not heard from them as of yet.

Will continue to provide updates until the situation is resolved.

#25 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:26 AM

Did you even look to see if the glove compartment light stays on?

-=>Raja.

#26 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

No, we did not check the glove compartment as my wife has not opened the glove compartment for quite some time.  

#27 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

Ok then, maybe you ought to take a look at night so you can see the light and see if its going out when you close it.

Looks like you and I are neighbors... :)

-=>Raja.

#28 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

Update:

After the car died for a second day in a row, we had the car towed to the dealer.  The Service Manager has basically admitted he's at a loss for what could be happening and he has spoken to Ford to get an engineer to look at the problem, but Ford will not send an engineer until the problem can be repeated by the dealer.  So the dealer is mimicing my wife's driving habits to try to reproduce the problem. 

We've decided to invoke the Lemon Law and we're starting the paperwork to get Ford to buy the car back.  I explained the issue to Ford Customer Service over email 5 days ago but I have not heard from them as of yet.

Will continue to provide updates until the situation is resolved.

I am off warranty and no lemon law option, but we thoroughly documented the issues and sent a letter certified mail in early June. They received the lengthy documentation about the battery issues and TCU flash scam and incorrect TSB service. They have not responded. Tried to follow up with the Ford customer care number, but we are not sanguine.

Hope Ford makes it right. On another note MFM hasn't updated my car since Friday at noon.

#29 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

Sorry to hear that you're not getting a satisfactory resolution, Alt.  Ford has to know about this problem and not making it right has to be frustrating.

Raja, we are indeed neighbors.  I live on the North Shore and work right up 495 from you in Hopkinton.  I also cannot look at the car as the dealer has it trying to replicate the problem.  

The service manager asked that we also bring the second key fob to them as they are theorizing the fob is an issue. You would think that Ford has enough telemetry data to get close to the problem.  I'll be talking to a Lemon Law lawyer tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes.

#30 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

Hi spl,

What dealer did you buy it at, or where is the car now which dealer is working on it?  I also have a 2017 now, had a 2013 but it got whacked by another driver(s) and their insurance decided to total it.  On the new one the glove box light doesn't go out, I was at the dealer today and they are ordering a new box for me.  Go back next week to get it sorted.

-=>Raja.

#31 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

I bought mine at Kelly Ford in Beverly.  They still cannot reproduce the problem so I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I called 1-800 lemon law.  They were actually quite nice but after explaining the situation to them, they felt I did not have a case given that the car has very low miles and is driven 5 miles/day.  They felt Ford could make the case that the car is not being driven enough.  Never mind the fact that our previous car did the same commute with no problems over 4 years, and the loaner we have from the dealer starts every time we get it. (the loaner is an Escape).

I'm going to suggest to my wife that we switch cars for awhile.  I have a 120 mile round trip commute so THAT should put some miles on it.  We'll see what happens.

Also, we looked at my wife's Ford Pass app and we see the following messages.  Nowhere can I find from Ford what these messages mean and how to remedy them, especially the "12 volt battery is low" message.

Does anyone know?  I'm looking for answers from Ford, not any guesses.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 07/19/2017 4:31:11 pmElla: Your vehicle is scheduled to begin charging soon and needs to be plugged in.
  • 07/14/2017 2:20:30 pmElla: Charge complete
  • 07/13/2017 8:20:29 pmElla: 12-volt battery is low
  • 07/13/2017 8:14:37 pmElla: 12-volt battery is low
  • 07/10/2017 8:32:59 pmElla: Your vehicle had an accidental unplug while charging.
  • 07/06/2017 1:31:13 pmElla: Your vehicle is scheduled to begin charging soon and needs to be plugged in.
  • 07/06/2017 12:46:04 pmElla: Charge complete
  • 07/06/2017 6:42:13 amElla: Your vehicle is scheduled to begin charging soon and needs to be plugged in.
  • 07/06/2017 6:28:19 amElla: 12-volt battery is low
  • 07/06/2017 6:27:46 amElla: 12-volt battery is low
  • 07/05/2017 9:11:38 pmElla: 12-volt battery is low

#32 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

Hi Everyone,

After some consideration, my wife and I decided to turn in the CMax and get a traditional Focus that will hopefully start when we need it to.  Our monthly payments went up $30 a month for a three year lease but in the end it's worth it for the peace of mind.  Of course the dealer could never replicate our problem but we experienced it at least twice a week so we had to get rid of the car.

Thanks for listening and for the advice. I wish those of you with this problem the best of luck finding a solution.   

Sean

#33 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Sorry to hear that, I know I would miss my Cmax if I didn't have it.  Maybe you didn't have yours long enough to make a difference in wanting to keep it.

-=>Raja.

#34 OFFLINE   Jbro

Jbro

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

We experienced a dead 12 V battery multiple times when the 2013 CMax Energi had sat idle for 24 hours or so.  Sears could not check the battery status because there was a draw on the battery when trying to check.

So we took it to the dealer.  We had a scheduled recall on the internal modem, so we scheduled that at the same time.  Once they replaced the modem, they checked the battery:  no drain and it checked out strong even thought it is about 5 years old and worked for 36000 miles.  So everything points to the modem constantly drawing on the battery when the car is off.

Bottom line:  if you are experiencing this problem, get the modem replaced on recall (no charge) and recheck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·