Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2017 c-max energi 12v battery problems

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ke6mji

ke6mji

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Locationca
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 c-max energi

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Purchased a new c-max energi last April.

Starting in May have had a random dead battery, only after sitting parked over night.

Been back to dealer 3 times, they cannot diagnose.

Have had to jump start so often have been carrying jump pack in back seat, the count is now up to 15.

I have heard about this problem in earlier models but this is a brand new 2017 car.

Any help out there, need to tell dealer what to do, I really don't want to have to use the  lemon law.

Steve

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

Don't know if you just have a bum battery - they are very small and only have a 36-month expected life warranty.  I'm surprised  the dealer did not just swap thew battery - even if new, the battery may have been a year old when installed??  It costs around $120 retail including installation by dealer (BTW, not as simple as most cars, as it's located in an awkward spot under the read cargo floor), so probably only $45 to the dealer.  I had to replace my 2013 in 2016 after getting stranded, now trickle charge it every 3-4 months to bring it upo to full voltage.

Edited by dontfret, 29 June 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   ke6mji

ke6mji

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the reply, forgot to mention ford already replaced the battery once.

Syeve

#4 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

The dealer needs to do a load test to find out if there is a load when the car is off and after it's sat for a while.
Then that should give them warranty approval to find where the old is coming from. Could be bad module or crossed wire.

#5 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 375 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:57 AM

My wife's is old compared to yours, but I'd check for any sync updates, and try to verify if the rear hatch door is completely closed before leaving it for the night, (no trunk light on for example).

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,142 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:09 AM

I have a 2013 that before purchase sat on the dealer lot for nearly a year with less than 200 test miles put on it in that time.  It just recently sat for 2+ weeks in a parking lot while I was away.  I got a power cell just in case. No issues.  

I don't get it.

Edited by fotomoto, 30 June 2017 - 06:12 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the reply, forgot to mention ford already replaced the battery once.

Syeve

What I would suggest for you is different than what I would suggest for me with a 2013. I would not live with the condition. Next time it happened it would go back to the dealer and tell them you want a loaner until the problem is figured out or that you are starting the process to have the car bought back. 

That said, I had the issue with my 2013. Installed a new battery and it happened again. I also believe as noted above it has something to do with the auto/lock and or hatch release system. Either something is not fully connecting or the software glitches. The car has had software glitches. There is no excuse after all of this time for it to still be happening.

I quit using auto lock (where you simply touch it to lock it) and I never use the foot release for the hatch. Since doing that I have had zero problems. Is mine all a coincidence and I will have problems in the future? Perhaps. I will live with it on a used car. I would not on a new one.

#8 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

Have you read this thread.  

http://fordcmaxenerg...sue/#entry46291

Unidentifiable software glitch and a dead 12v is not something a new car owner or a four year old car owner should be forced to live with.

• Perry Knopp likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

I've seen Escapes where after the car is locked the instrument cluster goes wild and drains the battery.
The tech sat in the car while another locked it and after a minute the gauges started bouncing around and never stopped till it was unlocked. They replaced the cluster

#10 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 381 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

Maybe try pulling one of the battery cables and putting in a multi meter to see if there is any phantom draw. 

The dealer is having a hard time since it does not happen all the time.

have you tried to keep track of what you do when it does or does not happen?

use garage door opener

Lock the car

charging times

Did you try turning off the dome lights and radio?

Do you have your car set up for wifi?

have you tried deleting the car from MFM?

it could be something as simple as a bad ground on a door switch or more of a software glitch.

#11 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

Steve,

This same exact issue is happening to my wife's car, a 2017 built 1/17 that we bought in April.  My wife has a very short commute (2 miles round trip) so the car gets driven 10 miles a week and then typically sits in our driveway over the weekend (my car is usually "first" in the driveway so we drive my car during the weekend).  It was over one of these weekends (around 5/20) that the car died and fortunately, the car has died in our driveway everytime.  By "died" I mean you had to unlock the door manually and had to jump the car to get it started.

I brought our car to the dealer 3x.  First time they just recharged the battery.  Second time they told me I had to keep the car charged! (which I disputed and eventually had to show them the C-Max Energi web page on Ford.com that I indeed did NOT need to keep the car charged).  The third time they couldn't find the issue and told me I could take the car back.  I told them they could keep the car until they find the problem (they gave us a loaner).  A few days later they found a Service Advisory had come out on 20-June, #46661, a reprogramming of the TCU.  They applied this reprogramming and we just got the car back today.  I'll provide updates later this week. 

First thing you should do is call Ford Customer Care (1 800 392-3673) to get your problem registered.  I did that Friday (6/30) and I've been assigned a rep who will call me back on Wednesday (7/5).  The more Ford hears about this issue the more they'll take it seriously and get a SA out for the issue (if 46661 does not solve it).   I plan to still get Ford Customer Care involved as I too am thinking Lemon Law if this happens again.  I want everything documented because with the Lemon Law you have to deal with Ford directly (although I'm hoping our dealer will "work with us").

TL;DR  Happened to me too.  There is an SA that was put out 20-Jun (46661) that MAY solve the problem. Contact Ford Customer Service and get your issue recorded with them.  I'll provide updates as time goes by.

Sean

#12 OFFLINE   ke6mji

ke6mji

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

HI Sean;

Thanks, at least I'm not the only one with this problem. My commute is only 3.8 miles one way. My car always dies in my parking space at home but never in the evening when

I get off work, sounds like we are having exactly the same issue. I'll ask about SA 46661 and see if they already did that.

Again thanks for the post.

Steve

#13 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

When parked at home, try putting BOTH the key fobs inside a metal container overnight (or you can wrap them in foil).  See if that prevents a dead battery the next morning.

#14 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

LB,

I think you're on to something.  The dealer could never duplicate the problem no matter how long they had it (in some cases 2 weeks).  We park our car in the driveway, the CMax closest to our back door and my wife keeps her keys on a counter near the door.  The key fob is no more than 10 feet from the car at night.

We're going to give that a try.  We'll do this for two weeks.  If the car does not exhibit the problem, we'll go back to putting the key where we usually keep it.  If the car then does not start after a few days, then I think we can say it is the fob/car communication.   If the car continues to start then we'll figure the TCU reprogramming did the trick.

Stay tuned!

#15 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

Update

Sandy Osten from Ford Customer Service reached out to me via email today.  She indicated that she spoke to the Service Manager at the dealership and she basically recapped the diagnostic steps and the remedy. Since I now have the car and the TCU was re-programmed, she'll reconnect with me on Monday (7/10) to get a status.

Day #2 back from the dealer.  Keys kept in metal tin as far away from the car as possible, no issues yet.  I will report back on Monday (7/10) or earlier if the car exhibits the problem before then.  We are debating if we use the EV or wait a few weeks.  So far, no EV until we're satisfied the problem is fixed.  Which is a bummer as there is an EV charging station where my wife works and driving in EV mode is really cool.

Sean

#16 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

Well that didn't last long.

Went to start car this morning, it was dead.  Needed a jump.  Moved it out of driveway.  Tried to re-start an hour later, dead.  Jumped and drove around for 20 minutes.  Parked car for an hour after which time it did re-start. Have called Ford Customer Care.  Waiting for them to return my call.

#17 OFFLINE   nmorrisii

nmorrisii

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationWashington DC
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi Titanium

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

I got my modem replaced in my 2017 Energy since it had failed completely.  Not related to a battery drain, but

I googled "TCU ENERGI 2017" and found these...

https://ford.oemdtc....016-2017-ford/3

and this

https://ford.oemdtc....cs-control-unit

Not the same models or years, but it sounds like the TCU continues to be a thorn in the Energi line.

• fotomoto likes this

#18 OFFLINE   spl5

spl5

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, the TCU seems to be problematic.  Cool website.  Thanks for the links.

I have not heard back from Ford yet.  Given that this issue seems to have been around since at least 2013, you'd think they would know the root cause of this problem by now and have it solved.

#19 OFFLINE   sunnysd

sunnysd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2016 302A

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

I've got a 2016 and received notice from Ford about 17B07.  I never had an issue with battery drain, so didn't think about taking the car in.  A week ago, my car was dead and I jump started it.  Just got the 17B07 performed.  We'll see if a dead car problem happens again.  Mine's not brand new though.  It's almost a year old and about 14K miles on it.

Ask your service department if applying notice 17B07 could help?

#20 OFFLINE   ke6mji

ke6mji

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for noticing the TSB 17B07 I'll ask if my car complies with this one.

Also sense last Sunday (7-3) which was the last night when the hot weather set in, (I'm in southern California), my car has been working perfectly, haven't had to jump it once ?!?!

Could this phenomena be temperature sensitive? Interesting,.. any body experienced this?

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·