Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

Hi and Happy Monday,

My Cmax keeps on loving.   The handle on the driver's rear door came off today when my wife opened the door to get a screaming kid out.

The handle popped out and blew out the trim piece that holds the handle itself in place.  Handle will not stay in place when pulled without the trim piece restricting reward travel by the handle.

DSCF4855

I am not sure if the handle is tampered with or removed to install the latch for the recall, but the trim piece has several small trim tabs that are broken and not sure how they got that way.

DSCF4854

I wonder if Ford carries one of those little pieces in Oxford White.

DSCF4850

If anyone knows the secret to popping the little bugger back in, please chime in.   I think the tabs are destroyed and I will have to replace it.

Between the second charge cord going down, the 12volt mystery and $$$ TSB that didn't fix the issue, and the 3.5Kwh I now get out of the HVB,  the handle falling off is icing on the cake.  Oh brother.

She said it just fell off when she pulled it.   

Edited by altabrig, 26 June 2017 - 07:01 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:17 AM

If it doesn't stay put you're probably correct that the tabs are broken.  (I can't quite tell from the pics).  Could have broken for a number of different reasons.  We were visiting the Cosmopolitan in Vegas once, and when we came out to go back to our hotel I noticed that the signal in one outside rear view mirror was blinking unusually as compared to the other side.  When we got to the parking I looked and found someone had carefully pried out and taken the lamp housing/lens, leaving just the bulb in the socket in place!  I had to order another lamp lens and as carefully as I could install it.

Found your part here if I'm not mistaken:

http://www.fordparts...ord&model=C-Max

Unfortunately it comes primed, but the reason why I like Oxford White as opposed to the "diamond/pearl" pain in the you know where is that you can actually match it easily.  I can never quite get the pearl effect exact, no matter how vigorously or not vigorously you shake the paint....

#3 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

Yeah and even if I paint it, I am not 100% sure it just pops in. The trim tabs are tiny and 3 were broken. Online after marketers call it a bezel.
https://www.tascapar...5oIoaAhY48P8HAQ

#4 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:57 AM

Try a junkyard, already painted.

#5 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

Try a junkyard, already painted.

Good idea.  These guys are a treat to deal with.   http://www.allfordautowrecking.com/

Long shot for the bezel in oxford.  Anyone know where to get spray in Oxford with the vinylizer (for plastic) in the paint?

Ebay has the bezel for 14.47 shipped.  Gonna at least check a dealership.

#6 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

Anyone know if these bezel trim pieces just pop in?  Without the three trim tabs ours just pops out.

#7 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

Good idea.  These guys are a treat to deal with.   http://www.allfordautowrecking.com/

Try these guys too.  Lots of affiliate yards.

https://www.hollanderparts.com/

#8 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

I had a sliding door handle come off in my hand on our old Mazda MPV 300 miles past warranty but they covered it.

#9 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

That was only right^.   Seems like the bezel tabs are under-engineered.  I bet they were beefed up in later years.    

I am reading on aftermarket rattle cans of Oxford White.   Seems like none are good matches.   Dealership wants $35 to paint the little dingle.    Anyone know the best match?   

The reviews of the duplicolor sold at Autozones etc.  Says it is off.  One reviewer recommended Krylon.

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

Why don't you just buy some goop or E6000 and glue the original part back on?  Goop is removable if necessary in the future, peels off like rubber and leaves no marks that it was ever there.

Holds very well you will never know its glued vs clipped in.

-=>Raja.

#11 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Goop is decent stuff.  Used some last night for some gloves. Used it a lot on kayaks.  The E6000/GOOP adhesive would work, but the way the bezel is designed it is immediately forced out without the trim tabs.  It gets forced out by the handle lever internal mechanism.  A giant c-clamp with the door open may get purchase if you were using a permanent adhesive like 3M 5200.

I ordered a new one off ebay and bought some gloss white automotive rustoleum at Home Depot.   Too many reports on the duplicolor exact match not being very close in tint.   I also read that Krylon Fusion gloss white is very close.  

After reading a few forums,  the oxford whites will vary by model and manufacture location.  They can be a code YZ paint or a Z1 paint.  I could spend a lot of time trying to match it.  

https://www.ford-tru...tml#post9486280

I painted the half the bezel with the Rustoleum Auto enamel gloss white and it is real close.  Can't tell the difference in the sun.   WIll post a picture later to show the difference and get your opinions.

New bezel should be here in a day or two coming from a Ford shop in Vegas.

I am at the point where I am just trying to keep this thing charging and running.   Hopefully more trim doesn't start falling off.

Edited by altabrig, 27 June 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

Here are some pics in flouro lighting and overcast.  Sunny was no good, too bright to see more than glare.

The Rustoleum White Gloss Auto Enamel is a brighter and a bit purer in tint with less grey tone than the oxford white IMO.

What do you think.  Any better matches?

DSCF4858
DSCF4860
DSCF4861

New primed bezel part should get here today.  Not sure if I should paint it  or get a better oxford white match.  Read enough bad reviews on the duplicolor that I wouldn't expect a good match unless someone here has had a positive experience with the stuff.  (Long shot I know.) 

#13 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

So,  this thread just became a how to fix thread.   

After searching the interweb, I finally found a youtube vid in Spanish showing how to get the bezel in/out.   

In our Cmax  door (photo below ) there is a torx bolt (probably a t-20) that needs to be loosened to to get the bezel in our out, and then tightened to hold it in.  You can easily pop the little push cover off with a fingernail.

DSCF4864

My guess is that it wasn't properly tightened during last months latch recall (guess), and the bit of play caused the retainer (not push) tabs to break and the bezel to pop out.

But I do not know.  I am a bit ticked at myself for not figuring out that they are not push tabs but retaining tabs.  I may have gotten away with reinstalling and tightening down the bezel torx bolt with the original tab-less bezel.   Oh well.

Over-tightening  could cause the bezel to crack, and the lack of tabs may have caused it to pop in the future.  Hope this helps someone pops a bezel.   

Painted product was meah and a bit too bright.  So try the torx screw first.

DSCF4863
DSCF4865

Edited by altabrig, 01 July 2017 - 08:41 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: latch recall, broken handle, handle trim broken, handle trim piece, handle trim, door latch recall install, latch recall handle, latch handle, handle trim push tabs, replacement handle trim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·