Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Sounds like the transmission is going in mine-assistance please

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 378 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:26 AM

I'm surprised that is not considered part of the powertrain?  I always thought powertrain includes everything that transfers power to the ground, axle being part of that.  I guess I need to read the warranty manual more carefully!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,150 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:15 AM

I'm surprised that is not considered part of the powertrain?  I always thought powertrain includes everything that transfers power to the ground, axle being part of that.  I guess I need to read the warranty manual more carefully!

I did too till I found out that Toyota doesn't think the eCVT is part of the hybrid warranty (the longer 8 or 10 year one) even though the electric motors are an inherent part of the assembly.  That's when I found there is a list of exceptions, usually in very fine print, in nearly every warranty. :detective:  :reading:  :nono:

Edited by fotomoto, 29 June 2017 - 05:17 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:32 AM

In my case, they input the part number into their system to determine warranty coverage.  So at this point after 25 ish miles, it seems that most of the noise is gone, but I do still hear noise at some speeds. I am documenting this with the dealer, in case I have issues down the road. I think that a large part of it is solved, but it hasn't totally gone away. At least now I can hear when the ICE kicks in as opposed to before when I couldn't hear it over the whine. Time will tell I suppose.

#24 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

The ECV is covered. The bushing inside the ECV is covered. If it was the CV at the outer end of the axle, that wouldn't be covered. After having mine replaced under warranty I had a friend in the car.......he noted that if not for the tire noise one would hear nothing. (You do get a slight electric motor wind at the end of deceleration). 

#25 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

So...to the current update.  The repair they did on the intermediate axle helped, but did not solve the problem totally, (as I have seen in other posts.)Noise is still present, though not as loud.   The dealer is aware and going to schedule me in to go into the transmission. Updates to follow as they become available!

• ptjones likes this

#26 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 378 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:15 AM

We had a 2007? STS-V lease in the household.  There was an issue with the rear differential leaking.  It was replaced/resealed.  Upon getting it back, I could hear a noticeable whine.  Turns out the axle shafts were not torqued enough/properly, and luckily it wasn't driven enough that damage could have resulted.  I observed the tech get out a huge wrench and re-tighten the axle shafts.  (Might be worth looking into).

#27 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 378 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:18 AM

I did too till I found out that Toyota doesn't think the eCVT is part of the hybrid warranty (the longer 8 or 10 year one) even though the electric motors are an inherent part of the assembly.  That's when I found there is a list of exceptions, usually in very fine print, in nearly every warranty. :detective:  :reading:  :nono:

I've seen all that mess!  (What a headache)!

I wonder what CA laws have to say about that.  (They're more strict over here.  I noticed that anything that may affect MPGs seems/needs to be covered).  Would this affect MPGs?

#28 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

Interesting that when my Trans was making alot of noise it didn't hurt my mileage on the HWY. :smile2: 

Paul 

#29 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 378 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

Interesting that when my Trans was making alot of noise it didn't hurt my mileage on the HWY. :smile2:

Paul

Guess that answers my question. Stick lead weights all over the place if tranny starts making noise! 😏

Edited by jzchen, 04 July 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:56 AM

I have not noticed an improvement in miles after getting mine replaced.

#31 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

Guess that answers my question. Stick lead weights all over the place if tranny starts making noise!

I guess I missed this one. :headscratch:

I have not noticed an improvement in miles after getting mine replaced.

I didn't either and I didn't think I would. :smile2:

Paul

#32 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

Here is the latest update. I took it into the dealer this morning, they are looking into the issue as the axle repair did not do anything substantial toward solving the issue, and in the interim ( about 300 miles), it has gotten louder, and makes noise more often, so we will see what the verdict is. They did give me a loaner, and my understanding is at this point the transmission will be examined.  More to come!

• ptjones likes this

#33 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Here is the next update. Today marks the 8th day the car is in sick bay.  I received a call from the dealer Friday evening that they determined that the bearing in the transmission is faulty and they were ordering parts (in the service writers words..." I believe they are having me order a new transmission, I haven't checked the actual part number however.") Comforting isn't it?  In any case, it seems as though progress is being made....Looking beyond this, for those of you who have had either a repair done, or a full replacement of the transmission, how many miles and or how long ago was the procedure done, and have you had any issues since then?  With any luck, the part should be in soon, and I will be back on the road. Thanks for the input!!

#34 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

Here is the next update. Today marks the 8th day the car is in sick bay. I received a call from the dealer Friday evening that they determined that the bearing in the transmission is faulty and they were ordering parts (in the service writers words..." I believe they are having me order a new transmission, I haven't checked the actual part number however.") Comforting isn't it? In any case, it seems as though progress is being made....Looking beyond this, for those of you who have had either a repair done, or a full replacement of the transmission, how many miles and or how long ago was the procedure done, and have you had any issues since then? With any luck, the part should be in soon, and I will be back on the road. Thanks for the input!!

#35 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

Welcome to the final update! Just got my baby back tonight. 11 days in the shop. They replaced the transmission. Upon inspection, there was damage to the transfer shaft bearings and there was metal all through the transmission as per the service write up. They referenced a new tsb which is 17-0039. I have searched quite a bit online for it but it isn't published out in the world yet. But this may be valuable to others that may have to go thru this. I am trying to get some relief on the intermediate shaft repair that was unnecessary. The business manager is supposed to reach out next week. I really can't thank all the contributors to this forum enough for sharing their stories and information. Education is key when dealing with these issues. Also having a good dealer to work with has helped a lot. If anyone has further questions that I can answer I'm happy to help. It's really nice to have a silent ride again. My mileage is 72780 at failure with a build date of 10-27-12. And yes covered under warranty for the record.

Edited by Roadmasterbear, 28 July 2017 - 07:14 PM.

• jdbob, ptjones and sporkinum like this

#36 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:05 AM

Good. Much nicer car without dealing with the damaged transmission. For anyone in the future that runs across this looking for answers, yes the transmission still works as it should it's just noisy. Part of the appeal of electric is how quiet it is supposed to be. 

As I've noted, my experience was the same. Once it was determined that the transmission was damaged they simply replaced the entire thing as opposed to fixing the old one. 

#37 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Ditto, It's been 1.5 yrs/60k mi. and no problems. :smile2:

Paul

#38 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

I'm curious if anyone has figured out, or of it has been officially published, the cutoff date where this issue was supposed to be resolved. This is a mild nail-biter for me and counting down my warranty period. Would be cool to know around what time they resolved it at the factory. If memory serves my build date was 6/2013.

#39 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

I developed an issue this weekend with mine. Things were going well after the CVT replacement, however, I have a fairly good sized coolant leak.  I noticed it Saturday evening --I have an appointment tomorrow to have them see what happened.  I thought I read somewhere that one of the posters here had the same or a similar issue with theirs after repair (coolant loss) , but I can't find the post. does anyone remember this or what might have happened in that case?

#40 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

If I recall, I was told the entire front of the car has to be removed to get the transmission out. If so, while not something that should happen I could see something not getting put back right. (or tight enough)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·