Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Sounds like the transmission is going in mine-assistance please

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

Hello all,

I have followed this forum for quite a while and I am a first time poster.  I have a 2013 Energi, 72k miles, which in the past couple of weeks sounds like i am running knobby snow tires at any speed over 10 mph or so, in Drive or Neutral, and at 40-50 it sounds like its very high pitched (aka running flat out -ish-although i know it isn't) It also has a low speed (0-5 mph) forward & reverse "gravel in a can" type noise frequently.  Is this consistent with what others have found in regard to the CVT going bad?  I have located several TSB's on this repair, the original one being 14B07 which is expired ( i bought the car one week after the expiration of this, and was not having issues at the time), also TSB14-0214, and TSB 16-0105B.  If anyone can provide me with additional  information into their experience, along with anything else that might be handy, I sure would appreciate it. It has an appointment next Monday at the dealer. I am hoping this is an issue covered under the 8 yr /100K warranty. Thanks in advance!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

People have described the noise many ways. Gravel in a can came close to mine. I thought it sounded a lot like when your car sits for a month and you initially scrub the rust off the disc brakes. 

Your transmission should make no noise. I had no problems getting mine replaced last month. The thing is as you note, it makes noise even in neutral. It's absolutely covered. It's a bit of a procedure for the dealer but mine arranged for me to get a loaner. Took a couple weeks total. The dealer has to remove it and take it apart for inspection. Send pics to Ford and Ford makes the determination. For mine I got a complete new transmission. Zero cost. 

• ptjones and miboje like this

#3 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the information...I really appreciate it.  I hope my dealer is as cooperative as yours was. 

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

I hope you transferred the warranty, I'm not sure it is automatically done. :headscratch: I had mine replaced for a new one at no cost too. :smile2: 

Paul 

#5 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

I did not transfer it, but I would think it would go with the car and not the owner, and If there is original warranty coverage on it, I would be covered.  I know Kia/Hyundai has an exception which shortens some warranty coverage if you are not the original owner.

#6 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

Additionally, I just came across this...

Most manufacturer warranties, including Ford’s, are transferable between owners. That means if you were to buy a 24-month-old Ford vehicle from a dealership or through private sale, you would now also own the remaining 12 months of basic coverage on the warranty term. (This is assuming the kilometer/mileage allowance has not already been surpassed.) You would also assume the remaining coverage on the powertrain warranty, as well as any other minor warranties, such as Corrosion, Safety Restraint, or model-specific coverage like the Powerstroke Diesel Engine Warranty.

I think the car would have warranty coverage based on this.

#7 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

I was thinking there might be a transfer fee, I would look into it before taking it to the dealer to be safe. :smile2: Let us know how it turns out.

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

Will do. I am hoping for the best on this one.

#9 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

Will do. I am hoping for the best on this one.

I did nothing. I bought mine back in December with 40,000 miles. Just took it in, they checked it out, said yep, bad, and replaced it. Changed my oil for $31.50 also. 

"You bought that here, didn't you"? 

Me: No I didn't.

"Oh well, we will say you did".

• miboje likes this

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:42 AM

Good to know, but I'm not sure all Dealers would react the same. Better to be safe than sorry. IMO :smile2:

Paul

#11 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

Well --I dropped it off today.  The service writer asked me if it had an engine or did it run only on batteries.  Its an Autonation dealer. I hope my mechanic knows more.

• ptjones and miboje like this

#12 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

Well --I dropped it off today.  The service writer asked me if it had an engine or did it run only on batteries.  Its an Autonation dealer. I hope my mechanic knows more.

That's Not A Good Sign! LOL I hope everything goes well. :smile2: I can't wait to hear the final verdict. :headscratch:

Paul

#13 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

So...Here we go...I was advised this afternoon that they need to replace the axle shaft, at a cost of $700 (roughly) which is stage 1, then they will road test it to determine if the noise is still present. If it is still present then we get to stage 2 which is the rebuild/replacement of the transmission depending on the severity of the internal damage. I believe I have read in other places here that this is the general process of events that occurs in this situation.  I am just wondering if there have been any cases where the axle replacement has solved the issue or have they all escalated to the second stage.  Thanks all for your input!

• miboje likes this

#14 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:26 PM

So...Here we go...I was advised this afternoon that they need to replace the axle shaft, at a cost of $700 (roughly) which is stage 1, then they will road test it to determine if the noise is still present. If it is still present then we get to stage 2 which is the rebuild/replacement of the transmission depending on the severity of the internal damage. I believe I have read in other places here that this is the general process of events that occurs in this situation.  I am just wondering if there have been any cases where the axle replacement has solved the issue or have they all escalated to the second stage.  Thanks all for your input!

I have never heard of the axle shaft being replaced period, I'm sorry but I don't feel good about this. It is very easy to determine if the trans is bad by taking a long stick and putting on trans when car is on the lift and listen. Someone needs to be in the car running it so the wheels are turning. I was with the mechanics when they checked mine, it was obvious. :( 

Paul 

• miboje likes this

#15 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

When I had mine done they explained it could just be the axle but they went a entirely different way. They disassembled the transmission and took pictures of the worn parts and sent them to Ford. Ford told them to replace the transmission.

If you wanted I could give you the name and number of the local dealer that did mine. 866-980-7735. Ask for Steve. 

• miboje likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

Thanks so much for the info..I will use that if necessary... From what the service advisor told me, this is the procedure they have to follow to see what the actual cause is...which I understand and really don't have a complaint with, I guess my actual issue may be if/when the transmission turns out to be the root cause and not the axle, will I still have to pay for the axle or will they give me some reduction on that...(such as labor cost). I will know more in the next 24-48 hours after they install the axle and do a road test.  The mechanic working on my car is a trusted friend who I have known for years. He just switched dealers last month after 15 years at his old dealership. I'm sure some of how its handled is out of his hands, so I just have to see where we go next.

#17 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

Either way it was covered under warranty according to the dealer.

#18 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

I don't think the axle would be covered unless you have an extended warranty for at least 5 years.

Paul 

• miboje likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Roadmasterbear

Roadmasterbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

So, pending pickup, and me driving it, the dealer called and indicated that the axle fixed it (Right front intermediate axle -with bearing). Not under warranty, but I knew that coming into today. They say the noise is gone, fingers crossed. I will update after a few days/miles of usage.  So my wallet is lighter, but I have high hopes.

• miboje likes this

#20 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:46 PM

Your issue could be with the outer bearing. That would not be covered.

• miboje likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·