Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

C-max won't start, battery scenario

battery starting

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bembem88

bembem88

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSilicon Valley
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C max energi

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:39 AM

Raja- you were right. It only aplies to low FOB battery. 

I found this video on yt that might be the root cause of the 12v battery issues:

After testing, they found out that his c-max energi had a faulty ACM (Audio Control Module)which was drawing 400mA when the car is turned off. I am suspecting that mine also has the same problem. A year or so ago, I had an issue with the radio staying on despite attemps of turning it off or powering down the car itself. The radio controls did not work and I could not change the station, adjust the volume etc. even when the car is running or not. It happened to me 4 times the first time it just went away. The second time, it drained the 12v battery and I had to jump start it. FInally. I pulled the fuse # 79 (and re-installed) for the ACM and I was able to reset it and the did the same the 4th time to fix the issue. However, recent dead battery experience did not have the radio staying on symptom. What I'm suspecting is that the ACM just like the man above in the video was stuck and did not power down. This resulted in current flow even when the car was turned off. I do not have time to replace the ACM but what I did was remove and replace the # 79 fuse. I don't think there was an issue with the fuse itself but removing and plugging it back will reset the ACM. 

This morning I did not plug in the charger and left the car outside the garage and It started fine.

Edited by bembem88, 05 September 2017 - 06:50 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   bembem88

bembem88

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:41 AM

dele

Edited by bembem88, 05 September 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

There you go, sometimes things like this can happen which would cause the 12v battery to die.  That's very good info for someone having 12v battery issues to pull fuse 79 and see if the problem goes away after a couple of weeks they will know for sure.

Whenever I go on long trips and leave the car at home, I jump it with another big battery (a deepcycle battery) and leave it jumped so that the 12v battery will be 3x+ bigger in capacity and can last alot longer like over a month without being used.    I do this just as a precaution as having the 12v battery die while not attended will harm the battery life, those batteries do not like to be discharged all the way.

I do the same with my Ranger truck by the way, I own two big deepcycle batteries so I put one on each car.

-=>Raja.

#24 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Interesting. I have had to pull fuse 79 a couple times because the radio locks up. I had mentioned awhile back that if I ever had the battery problem again, I would start pulling fuses. Hopefully someone who gets the initial warning message will see this topic and pull the fuse and see if it goes away.

#25 OFFLINE   bembem88

bembem88

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

So far pulling the fuse 79 seem to work for me. However, There is no guarantee that the ACM will not lock up again and no warning signs. It will be a pain to do this every week or so. Perhaps I should try taking my c-max to the dealer and have them install an ACM software update. I read this from fusion owners and seem to have fixed similar battery drain problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·