Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

EV Later gaining charge

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:23 AM

So, for kicks I decided to keep the car in EV later for my driving.  Unfortunately I hadn't done this(not for my commute without starting at 100% anyway) before the injector replacements, so I can't confirm if I'm getting better mileage now.

But assuming that mpg meter is reasonably accurate, I was able to pull close to 35mpg for my round trip yesterday and I even took the route with up and down hills and wasn't going super easy like I do in EV mode.  That's definitely better than I expected based on what little I had seen before on gas.

The OTHER interesting thing I noticed this morning is that I seem to be gaining significant battery charge...  I was at around 50% when I picked it up from my mechanic Yesterday morning.  As of this morning I'm over 80%.

I could guess this is a matter of my circumstances...  Basically that you have to reset back into EV Later every time you start the car, so it chooses the new set point from there.  And definitely the way I came in yesterday and today, there is significant downhill that adds about 10% charge...

Also, I guess I hadn't noticed before that in EV Later, it doesn't seem to raise the ICE threshold much at all even if I'm like 10% over the set point.  I can come down that hill, gain 10% battery charge, and the ICE threshold is still like 1.5 bars so the ICE still kicks on from a stop unless I'm very gentle.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,237 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

Answering in reverse order...:

On your last paragraph, no it does not.  Ice threashold remains the same.  Goes up somewhat to a max limit with speed, is less while stopped.  If will however go down as you use up battery from your initial set point.

If you recycle EV later, and the HVB was lower than the setpoint, then the ice threshold will go up.  If you are 10% more and you cycle EV later, it will stay the same.

There isn't any situation really when I've parked the car at 50% and next morning it was at 80%, impossible for my car.  It can go up and down based on battery temperature, but in ALL cases its within 10% for me.   So 50 to 60 or 50 to 40 possible, but not 50 to 80%.  Maybe you charged the battery some and forgot you did?

Your gas mileage can certainly go up from a tune up.  You had bad injectors in your car and that will hurt gas mileage if the engine is not running good.  I remember you complained about gas mileage all the time, this could have been your issue for a while now.  Mine is much better than I expected when I bought this car, like I said before I'm netting over 69mpg in 4 years time and I can net in the mid 40's going down the highway at 65mph without the use of the HVB (EV later).

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 26 May 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It didn't gain 30% overnight. I had 50% then used EV later for a day and a half and noticed I was up to 80%. I believe that's just a product of my circumstances where I gain significant charge coming down hill, then shut the car off, then restart and ev later gets reset at a higher charge level. And repeat a few times.

Yes I'm thinking those injectors were the major culprit with my mileage. I made the trip today on a couple different roads, still hills, still not really babying it and got home from today's round trip at 40mpg.

I also think it feels a tad smoother. It wasn't bad before but I've always felt like it wasn't as smooth transitioning the start/stop of the ice, etc as my Prius with like 150k miles. I think Max might have smoothed out now more than I realized.

I'm finally starting to like this car a bit more.
Now if I could brighten up the Sterling gray color. I wish I had that bright blue color. I wonder if there's some sort of vinyl accents or wrap or something that would brighten it up at a low cost...

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,237 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

OK sure that makes more sense now, you can charge it anywhere from something to all the way if you keep going down hills and not using the battery to drive in between and such.

I'm glad to hear you're liking this car more now, it really is a great car for me, the best I ever had to be honest.

I'm driving a Toyota hybrid 2017 modem something you're never heard of probably, called a Toyota Auris, its like a station wagon, now while on vacation in Sweden and I don't like the fact that the engine just starts on its own.  It has an EV button but it says not available most of the time as there isn't enough charge in the battery.  Its not a plug in, the battery doesn't last that long once you start it and go on EV for a few seconds then boom the engine is running.  Even starts the engine by itself after some time if you stat it up and are just sitting there in Park.  Nothing like a plug in hybrid where you can stay on battery for an hour or so.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 26 May 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

Yeah big difference between a hybrid that doesn't really have a battery large enough to be useful in EV and a plug-in. Unless you just need to move across a parking lot and never start the engine it generally doesn't make any sense to use EV in a hybrid where best case scenario is that you just came down a big hill, have a full battery and if you are super careful you might get 3 miles without starting the ice.

#6 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

I'm wondering if your increased charge is from turning off and on. In my hybrid it seems to try and keep the SOC at 60% so if your set point is 50% of the plugin battery size the observed SOC could be 45-55%. When you stop it might be at 51-52% so your new set point at startup would be 52% and your observed SOC could be 47-57% on the next drive cycle.

#7 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:18 AM

I'm wondering if your increased charge is from turning off and on. In my hybrid it seems to try and keep the SOC at 60% so if your set point is 50% of the plugin battery size the observed SOC could be 45-55%. When you stop it might be at 51-52% so your new set point at startup would be 52% and your observed SOC could be 47-57% on the next drive cycle.

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is what happened.  It was just odd seeing it happen after the course of a couple days and not realizing it was what was happening and since I hadn't tried to keep the car in EV Later like this before I didn't realize I had to re-set EV Later at every startup so I hadn't thought about the fact that it's not actually the same as standard hybrid mode.  Though it makes me a bit happier yet to see 40mpg AND at the same time see my battery level rising...  (:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·