Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Taking 12+ hours for a full charge and only 11 miles at that

batteries dying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zoombabe

zoombabe

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Jose
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

I have 65k miles on my energi and over time the max range has slowly but surely started petering down. When I first got it, a full charge would show a range of 23 miles (highest I have seen it) but mostly around the 19-20 mile range. 4 years later today, the max range shows as anywhere between 9-11 miles. Whaaat happened???

Also, on a 240v charger, it used to take 1.5-2.5 hours for a full charge. Now, I leave it plugged in overnight and still 14 hours later it shows "75% charge". Charging around 4 hours gives me less than 20% charge. What is going on here? Is this a dud? 

The dealer says he can look at it but it will cost me $200 to run diagnostics (even though I have Ford Premium ESP. Worth it?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Well, the range could be anything, including driving changes...

BUT...  If it's taking that long to charge and not working in the first place on more than one EVSE (have you tried charging elsewhere?) then I'd sooner think your HV battery is not in good shape and the car/charger is just doing the best it can with what you've got left of a battery...

Although I've also heard some talk of people trying to charge in locations where it was too hot or the battery was otherwise too hot and the car would stop charging...

If it were me, I'd make sure I found another charger to try it out on, hopefully where it's not like 100F+ and just confirm it behaves the same way.

If so, you could try to get Ford to give you a new battery, but I think I may have only ever heard of one occasion where that happened...  More than likely they're going to tell you to just pony up however many thousands of dollars they decide to charge to put a new battery in.

The other option is going to be to start Googling and otherwise searching for companies that are refurbishing battery packs and might sell you one at a cheaper price.  Or find a used battery from a junkyard.  Then get that installed...

Unfortunately Ford seems to have about the least amount of batteries out there in the first place so they seem to be harder to find...

Good luck.

#3 OFFLINE   zoombabe

zoombabe

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSan Jose
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

Well, the range could be anything, including driving changes...

BUT...  If it's taking that long to charge and not working in the first place on more than one EVSE (have you tried charging elsewhere?) then I'd sooner think your HV battery is not in good shape and the car/charger is just doing the best it can with what you've got left of a battery...

Although I've also heard some talk of people trying to charge in locations where it was too hot or the battery was otherwise too hot and the car would stop charging...

If it were me, I'd make sure I found another charger to try it out on, hopefully where it's not like 100F+ and just confirm it behaves the same way.

If so, you could try to get Ford to give you a new battery, but I think I may have only ever heard of one occasion where that happened...  More than likely they're going to tell you to just pony up however many thousands of dollars they decide to charge to put a new battery in.

The other option is going to be to start Googling and otherwise searching for companies that are refurbishing battery packs and might sell you one at a cheaper price.  Or find a used battery from a junkyard.  Then get that installed...

Unfortunately Ford seems to have about the least amount of batteries out there in the first place so they seem to be harder to find...

Good luck.

Thanks Levi Smith - will try out another charger and update

#4 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

I have 65k miles on my energi and over time the max range has slowly but surely started petering down. When I first got it, a full charge would show a range of 23 miles (highest I have seen it) but mostly around the 19-20 mile range. 4 years later today, the max range shows as anywhere between 9-11 miles. Whaaat happened???

Also, on a 240v charger, it used to take 1.5-2.5 hours for a full charge. Now, I leave it plugged in overnight and still 14 hours later it shows "75% charge". Charging around 4 hours gives me less than 20% charge. What is going on here? Is this a dud? 

The dealer says he can look at it but it will cost me $200 to run diagnostics (even though I have Ford Premium ESP. Worth it?

1.  as LiOn batteries degrade, they take LESS time to reach a full charge, because their capacity is reduced.  Sounds like you may have a different issue, my 240v charger always fills it up around 1.5 - 2 hours.  You seem to be charging at 110 - may be a charger fault?!?

2. To get the kW capacity a.  fully charge. b. on your left dash screen, select trip (either 1 or 2) and reset.  c. Drive the car in EV Now until the big battery depletes, engine starts.  If you look at the bottom line of the trip it shows you kW delivered.  If you keep driving it will vary 0.1 - 0.2 kW as you gain from regeneration, but that should give you a good idea where your battery capacity is.  New battery (or rbort :) ) will be around 5.3, mine is around 3.9.  Some dependency on driving style, but should give you a good idea if you do it a few times (all surface streets, some hwy, etc.).

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

Even on an E1 charger it should be done in about 5 hours. Something has got to be wrong. The only way I could fathom it working correctly and 14hrs and only 75% charged is if you were running the ac full blast or the heater the entire time...

#6 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

1.  as LiOn batteries degrade, they take LESS time to reach a full charge, because their capacity is reduced.  Sounds like you may have a different issue, my 240v charger always fills it up around 1.5 - 2 hours.  You seem to be charging at 110 - may be a charger fault?!?

2. To get the kW capacity a.  fully charge. b. on your left dash screen, select trip (either 1 or 2) and reset.  c. Drive the car in EV Now until the big battery depletes, engine starts.  If you look at the bottom line of the trip it shows you kW delivered.  If you keep driving it will vary 0.1 - 0.2 kW as you gain from regeneration, but that should give you a good idea where your battery capacity is.  New battery (or rbort :) ) will be around 5.3, mine is around 3.9.  Some dependency on driving style, but should give you a good idea if you do it a few times (all surface streets, some hwy, etc.).

That's about right. 5.3-5.4 kwh is about what I get at the switch to hybrid mode (I get a few more tenths before the ICE actually starts though). It's best to do the test on a mild day 60-75F outside and deplete the HVB on a single trip. Depending on certain conditions I can get as low as 4.8 kwh on a full charge so there could be some variance. It's best to do the test more than once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·