Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

MFT 'Application Error' boot loop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

Perfect timing on this one. We are due to begin our road trip Tuesday morning. Was getting my Torklift hitch installed to use a cargo carrier and when pulling the car back in the garage after it was finished, Sync went into this boot loop where it would come up to the 'performing scheduled maintenance' screen and near the end of the progress bar it displays a Windows-esque dialog with 'Application Error' and 'servicesd.exe has encountered an error. I've included a snapshot of the error and a short clip below:

Have tried everything I can think of including doing a master reset although that is a pain to get to. Under normal circumstances I don't even see the main screen but if I leave the car sit long enough to where everything powers down and come back, I'll occasionally regain access and I was quick enough once to go in and hit the master reset option. However that seems not to have helped.

Even used Forscan to do a module reset on the APIM, did a fuse pull, cleared DTCs, etc..

Unfortunately my dealer is closed today. Had to take an extra day off work so I can go in first thing in the morning to have it looked at and hopefully get it sorted out ahead of our trip.

Up to this point everything has been solid. Did the Sync 3.8 update about a month or so ago and have had zero issues. Just randomly decided today was a good day to fail on me.  :cry:

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 533 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

I can only hope maybe pulling the negative battery cable would help.

We had a TCU failure and it took visits to many Ford dealers before the fourth one, with contact with Ford IV Tech support, to replace the darn thing, before the warranty expired...

#3 ONLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

Took it in this morning. Explained my findings so far. Same service writer I dealt with when I got my earlier recalls done. Thankfully he was in agreement based on my explanation that I have tried everything I could from my end and they got the ball rolling on investigating it. He was hopeful it could just be a software issue as that could have been dealt with in a few hours time. However not even 2 hours later I heard back and the APIM has to be replaced. Already got it ordered and trying to get it overnighted and he expects it can be sorted around tomorrow afternoon. I do plan to make sure he is aware of the 12M02 FSA when I talk to him.

At this point it is a wait and see game and getting updates from them tomorrow when/if the part comes in and work commences on how we handle our trip. We do have a backup car but ironically enough that one also has a flaky radio (Brother's '09 Kia Sportage with the USB/SAT/CD/AM/FM radio. Sat is dead, usb and aux inputs don't work, and the entire radio will randomly decide to turn itself off and on in the middle of a trip). So entertainment-wise we are in about the same boat either way. And for a 5k mile round trip, that's no bueno. We did the same trip in his car 2 years ago and the lack of radio was boooooooring even relying on music played through phone speakers. >.< I keep making the semi-serious joke that one of the stretches I drove all the way from Las Vegas up through Utah and Colorado to the CO/KS state line in one go only happened because his radio miraculously stayed operational the entire time and I was able to at least scan stations the entire way.

Edited by cr08, 22 May 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

I'm assuming it's completely coincidental but for the first time ever(in over a year over ownership) I got the "scheduled system update" message last week.(Other than when I was upgrading the software).

Mine didn't have any error messages thankfully, though it did the "maintenance" when I parked and plugged in, and in the morning(still plugged in) it still had the screen on with the "entertainment" corner lit up in the lower left.  But it seemed to come to life and work just fine.

I don't suppose there's any connection with that and the fact that I got a message from Sirius about them turning the radio back on from the 17-30...  The E-mail has the ID of my C-Max radio, but Max is still saying there's no subscription.  Our Sienna on the other hand seems to have Sirius active again...

#5 ONLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

The scheduled system maintenance is basically just the system rebooting and isn't doing anything too fancy beyond that. Sync 1/2 runs Windows CE underneath and like any Windows computer, regular reboots are a good thing. When you see that message and the progress bar, it isn't far off from a classic Windows loading screen if not the exact same thing. In the case of Sync 1/2, it is designed to do so automatically every 24 hours and the car isn't being used. Outside of that if it happens while the car is being driven, it usually boils down to some piece of software hiccuped, crashed, or otherwise did something the system wasn't expecting and as a precaution it will reboot the whole system as an attempt to resolve it.

#6 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 533 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

Wow. That's really cutting it close! I'm glad they agreed to do the APIM module right away! Hopefully be done quick if they get the part in the morning.

You are reminding me of BSOD events. I shudder to think about it.

Ever check for loose grounding on the Kia?

#7 ONLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

Funny enough about the Kia. He had some other lingering electrical issues, nothing as bad as the radio and never adversely affected driving. Took it in recently to his dealer and turns out when he got his hitch installed at U-Haul a number of years ago they fubar'd the wiring. The dealer sorted it all out and the other issues are gone. However the radio is still messed up. Stays on more reliably now but the Sat/aux/usb functions are still dead.

#8 ONLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

So all is good. I will say that Krieger Ford in Columubus has done very good by me so far. I do plan to stay with them for my regular maintenance and repairs for sure.

Service advisor kept me posted this morning. First call let me know the part came in and would be done by early afternoon. Second call not 2 hours later at about 12:30 (I expected later around 2-3pm by his original estimation) he calls and all is good to go. Covered under 12M02 without me mentioning.

Plus side based off the current Sync update history is I am up to version 3.10 now which if my searches say anything was released Nov 2016.

Got on the road and the car is behaving nicely so far. Will definitely keep updates. Our trip is about 2500 miles each way. 

#9 OFFLINE   blodg1

blodg1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLaguna Niguel, CA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

So this same thing happened to my 2014 on Friday night.  I just dropped it off at Capistrano Ford this morning.  Should be covered by warranty, right?

#10 OFFLINE   blodg1

blodg1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLaguna Niguel, CA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

So this same thing happened to my 2014 on Friday night.  I just dropped it off at Capistrano Ford this morning.  Should be covered by warranty, right?

Just got it back.  Shows that an update was performed per the 12M02 recall.  All good for now.

#11 OFFLINE   Buhls

Buhls

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-max Energi

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

Had this exact same problem.  Pulled fuze 67, but did not fix the problem.  Got an appointment at a local dealer, then MFT started working again (go figure).  Still brought it in and showed them the video of the boot loop and error message.  Guy accepting the car already knew about APIM extended warranty, so was expecting a replacement no problem.  They called after having the car for a day and gave me some story about it being the display and not the APIM, so not covered by extended warranty and wanted $1200 to replace the display.  MFT was still working, but I ran Forscan with my ODB tool when I got home and saw two error codes for APIM display and external memory card.  Cleared the codes and they did not reappear.  A week later, MFT stopped working again.  Made an appointment at a different dealer his time.  Hopefully they won't give us some BS about not being the APIM.  Not impressed with Epic Ford in Everett, WA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·