Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Injector #1 fault

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

Well, I thought I detected a bit of extra vibration from Max's ICE Thursday night on the way home.

Sure enough Friday afternoon on the way home it fired up, still a bit off and also got a slow flashing CEL.

Seems to be complaining about cylinder 1 and injector #1.  

I popped the hood but for the most part can't even see the injectors.  But no obvious mice nests(the last injector fault I had was on our Sienna a couple years ago when a mouse chewed through the wiring)...

Gonna stop down and see my mechanic Monday afternoon.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

Could be a coil going bad.  If you want to self diagnose may not be a bad idea to:

a) pull spark plug and check it visually.

b) if Ok swap coils from #2 to #1 and see if the problem moves.

If yes, its a coil, if no then its the injector.

They are under the cover which you have to remove for servicing the air filter.

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

Is it common to get a P301 for the injector and have it be the coil?  P201 was the other code.

I'd probably take off the cover and look more if I had time, but after some bush hogging and off to a ballet recital in a bit I'm already cutting out a 3hr run I would have liked to get in.

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

I don't have experience with the Cmax mine has not needed any service but with my wife's bmw it got a misfire on cylinder 2 said something like yours in the codes, turned out to be the coil for me.  I replaced it with another off ebay and all was good.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

I don't have experience with the Cmax mine has not needed any service but with my wife's bmw it got a misfire on cylinder 2 said something like yours in the codes, turned out to be the coil for me.  I replaced it with another off ebay and all was good.

-=>Raja.

I could certainly see it being a coil if the only error was regarding a misfire.  I'd like to think that with an error specifically regarding the injector that the problem would be there but of course cars aren't always so good about that...

#6 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

Out of curiosity,  How many miles on your ICE?   Please keep us posted on your progress with the plug/coil/injector resolution.   Best of luck.

#7 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

Out of curiosity,  How many miles on your ICE?   Please keep us posted on your progress with the plug/coil/injector resolution.   Best of luck.

I've got about 78K on it.  Mine was a fleet vehicle and as I recall lifetime mpg was around 35, so I'm guessing it was mostly used in hybrid mode for the 3ish years before I got it in Jan 2016.  MFM says I've only put 10K miles on.  Generally the ICE probably fires up for about maybe 40% of my daily use after I run out of battery.

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Let's see what service finds out for you.

-=>Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

Yep, stopped down to my mechanic and he didn't get the injector code, so he figured he'd swap the coils first just to rule that out since it was more simple anyway.

Of course, that plastic shield/air cleaner/tubing thing is a big pain in the butt. He didn't care for that too much.  I vaguely recall reading something on here about the air filter being a pain to change...  Now I see why.

Anyway, no problems with coils, no problem with injector wiring so off came the fuel rail.  His first thought was that it would be some junk in that injector that could be cleaned as apparently Ford has problems with corrosion build up in the fuel rail at the #1 injector because it's the last spot on the rail and the corrosion breaks off and drops into the injector.

Nope, that #1 injector was just plain dead.  Which he said was a lot more rare than the coils going bad.  And that 2 of my injectors had fuel in the electrical connectors which apparently is the first usual stage of them failing/leaking.  Next would be fuel smell and a bit more fire risk.

So, 4 new injectors it is.  Of course no one has more than one in stock. But they're all like $65 each so, they're coming from Ford, should be here Wed.  Between those and tonight and the upcoming labor to replace them I'll be up to about $365.  

Though, I'm going to have him change out the left steering wheel controls(to switch between the Engage/Empower/etc) as well.  Mine is only getting more flaky.  Bought the switch quite some time ago, but instructions for changing looked a bit vague and iffy on the whole airbag portion...

Oh well.

#10 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

So, 4 new injectors it is.  Of course no one has more than one in stock. But they're all like $65 each so, they're coming from Ford, should be here Wed.  Between those and tonight and the upcoming labor to replace them I'll be up to about $365.  

Any amount spent on repair sucks, but all things considered, that's really not bad. Thanks for the update.

#11 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

Yep, stopped down to my mechanic and he didn't get the injector code, so he figured he'd swap the coils first just to rule that out since it was more simple anyway.

Of course, that plastic shield/air cleaner/tubing thing is a big pain in the butt. He didn't care for that too much.  I vaguely recall reading something on here about the air filter being a pain to change...  Now I see why.

Anyway, no problems with coils, no problem with injector wiring so off came the fuel rail.  His first thought was that it would be some junk in that injector that could be cleaned as apparently Ford has problems with corrosion build up in the fuel rail at the #1 injector because it's the last spot on the rail and the corrosion breaks off and drops into the injector.

Nope, that #1 injector was just plain dead.  Which he said was a lot more rare than the coils going bad.  And that 2 of my injectors had fuel in the electrical connectors which apparently is the first usual stage of them failing/leaking.  Next would be fuel smell and a bit more fire risk.

Though, I'm going to have him change out the left steering wheel controls(to switch between the Engage/Empower/etc) as well.  Mine is only getting more flaky.  Bought the switch quite some time ago, but instructions for changing looked a bit vague and iffy on the whole airbag portion...

Oh well.

Hope your Energi performs well after the injectors are replaced.    Sounds like you have a very solid independent mechanic with reasonable labor rates.  Thanks for the information.  I have to replace the air filter now that my ICE has about  8k miles on it.  Not looking forward to removing the difficult plastic shield thing.   

Wonder if anyone else's cmax has had the fuel line corrosion and/or injector failure?

#12 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hope your Energi performs well after the injectors are replaced.    Sounds like you have a very solid independent mechanic with reasonable labor rates.  Thanks for the information.  I have to replace the air filter now that my ICE has about  8k miles on it.  Not looking forward to removing the difficult plastic shield thing.   

Wonder if anyone else's cmax has had the fuel line corrosion and/or injector failure?

Yeah, I'm lucky that my next door neighbor happens to own a garage and is about the only mechanic I currently trust to do good work and doesn't charge a fortune.  

The air cleaner/shield isn't the worst thing in the world, but he definitely took a few minutes to figure out just what all bolts and air intake pieces had to come out(basically all of it).  Sure looks like they could have just put an air cleaner box on top of the throttle body instead of a couple huge air intake elbows that run up to the top/back of the engine for the filter...  I'd see if anyone has actually written directions before trying it.

To be clear, mine is the only C-Max he's worked on, but as far as Ford's go he said the corrosion in the fuel rail has been a problem for a long time.  But that usually you just pull the injector, clean out the junk and you're good to go.  He said the coil's frequently fail before 100K miles, but replacing injectors before then was a bit more rare.  Guess I just lucked out that mine completely died for no obvious reason.

I did a couple quick searches on Google and this forum and the only result I could find was one mention of someone having an injector error, then took it to the dealer and they said it worked itself out...

#13 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:47 AM

I did find another post on the C-Max hybrid group of someone who apparently has had to replace his injectors I think 3 times in a similar number of miles as mine.

As for mine, I picked it up this morning.  Running MUCH better now.

He also got the left steering wheel switch replaced. He said that was a bit of a pain in the butt to replace.  I kinda wondered given what little instruction I could find about doing it.  Glad I left it to him!  Works much better now as well!

I did get 2 messages from Max that he had a warning light on.  Never seen that one before.

On another note, as I've been looking(on-line at least) at Volts a lot and I borrowed my mechanic's 2013 Malibu for the couple days I didn't have Max and had a few thoughts...

-Cruise control...  Definitely prefer the Chevy. You can leave it on(you don't have to turn it on every time you start the car) and it shows up right in front of you the speed it's set at.(though now I think I recall hearing that the Fusion might work similarly?)...  Not sure I prefer the actual cruise switches though...  cheaper feeling somehow...

Also forgot how much I missed the digital Speedo from my Prius'.  The Chevy had that as well.

Chevy has a nice display of individual tire pressures...

The Chevy seemed to be smarter at turning on the auto headlights this morning in the rain where Max doesn't do it automatically...

Chevy doesn't have auto wipers...

The physicality of the car...  The Malibu *feels* larger in terms of parking(well in terms of fitting in a space.  Pretty sure it has a tighter turning radius than Max)...  It might actually be slightly larger for the interior, but I'm not sure...  Max feels larger inside.  Pretty sure there's more height and a lot more window space...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·