Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Ford to do OTA updates on 2016 models

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

http://ca.reuters.co...KCN18F2BJ-OCABS

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co said on Friday it would delve into the growing arena of "over-the-air" software updates, adding Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to its Sync 3-equipped 2016 vehicles for the first time via a wireless software update.

The latest upgrade to Sync 3, Ford's interactive touch-screen system, will be accomplished through an over-the-air (OTA) update using Wi-Fi, not unlike how new software gets uploaded to smartphones by manufacturers.

After Tesla Inc's early lead in 2015 introducing OTAs, traditional automakers are slowly beginning to embrace the new technology, within limits. Concerns about security and resistance from dealers worried about losing service revenue have hampered its adoption.

Thus far, established automakers have not used OTAs for safety systems, only for non-critical systems like infotainment.

Customers can also get the update via the traditional means of visiting their dealer or using a USB drive, Ford said.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are operating systems from Alphabet's Google and Apple Inc that allow drivers to connect their smartphones to their vehicles' dashboard.

Ford's first use of OTAs comes about two months after it said it would hire 400 engineers to work on connectivity, mostly from Blackberry Ltd's shuttered phone handset business. Blackberry QNX powers Ford's Sync 3 system.

Besides being more convenient for customers, OTAs can bring automakers cost savings, as a substantial percentage of warranty repair issues and recalls can be corrected through OTAs.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Surprised they didn't implement this with Sync 2/MFT. If memory serves they had it set up while on the factory line the MFT systems pulled their initial flash over Wifi while the rest of the car was being assembled. I am glad to see they are doing it sooner rather than later though and can't wait to see them push further towards updating other modules. Cars are so software driven these days across the board, not saying anything about our very own C-Max's, it's a no brainer to keep the software up to date and eek out every last bit of performance or reliability out of a vehicle.

Say what you will though, Ford has always had some semblence of forward thinking processes when it comes to tech. As buggy as Sync has been right out of the gate, even back to v1 it was really a first of its kind type of scenario and when you could get it standard in a lot of vehicles right down to a Ford Focus, that's amazing. They have, and still do, provide their OpenXC platform which is basically an open OBD API and hardware that you can tinker with. And while they've backed off on their original Applink feature on v1 and v2 Sync systems, that was a potential game changer as well with the smartphone space going gangbusters as it has. I'd still kill to have that functionality on my MFT system. And the Ford Work Solutions platform, on paper, seemed to be a HUGE thing (I haven't really read up on it beyond original press releases so not sure if it went anywhere or what its current usage is).

#3 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

I updated mine via USB using the download from Ford owner website.
I thought about doing the wifi but I'm not around wifi long enough for it to download I think.

#4 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

I never had a problem with my Sync system until I updated last week.  Since then I've had it lock up twice, reboot while driving once and completely loose the map once as well.  I wish I could go back to the previous version.

#5 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

Sync updated after my 12v died 2x in the last 7 days. But apparently nothing wrong with the 12v. Just needed a $600 module flash that didn't fix the issue. Wish they had OAT updates for the modules.

Does V2 even have OTA update capability?

#6 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:27 AM

Nope. Just v3.

#7 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

I've had a few times where I couldn't use the audio but everything else would work.
Also had Bluetooth stop sending audio when using Siri

Since the upgrade no problem but only been a week

#8 OFFLINE   sunnysd

sunnysd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2016 302A

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

Good to see there's a topic about this OTA update.  I just noticed today that my system was updated.  I assume it was last Friday because I've been getting text and email messages saying my clock is wrong in the car.  Using the car for the first time since getting those messages, I was pleasantly surprised to see I now have Android Auto in the car.  I tested the Google voice with the car mic and it worked great.  I was able to use voice to call someone from my phone book.  I was never able to do that with voice command from the Sync 3 system.  It always said it didn't understand me.  

#9 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

Clock keeps terrible time. Only has option to manually sync to gps clock. Won't do it automatically.

#10 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:39 AM

Ah the joys and tribulations of being an early-adopter!  Enjoy the over-the-air updates youngsters!

#11 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

What is the pathway used for OTA updates?  Wifi?

#12 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

Yes wifi

#13 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

I've tried and tried to get the car to connect to my wifi, both at home and at work, without success.  I guess that's why I did not get an OTA update.  I ended up doing it with a flash drive.

#14 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

I did it with a flash drive because i was impatient.  I have mine connected to wifi at home and it seems to check for updates, but only seems like once a month.

#15 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBrampton

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

Have any Canadian owners received an OTA update?  My car connects to my wifi at home but it is still on the original SYNC 3 v1. I see it checked for updates recently but didn't find any. I wonder if Ford isn't pushing it in Canada.

#16 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBrampton

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:06 AM

My car finally updated over the air last week, so the update is being pushed out in Canada too.

#17 OFFLINE   ScottChi

ScottChi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCary, NC USA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

I must have gotten the OTA to my 2016 CMAX Energi in May as well.  I don't recall which day it was, but I made a 15 mile local trip where the GPS display refused to update.  The "system busy" rotating icon was on the whole time.  I speculated that I may have driven off in the middle of a map update, but it was just a guess.

The next trip I made after that, the map behaved normally again.

As I posted in another thread, I have Android Auto now.  It took a year longer than expected, but that's a whole lot better than never.

Scott C.

#18 OFFLINE   sunnysd

sunnysd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2016 302A

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

Anyone having a problem with programming the start/stop charge time on the weekends?  I believe after this update, programming inputs for weekend times no longer work for me.  I can still program times during the week but on weekends, the start/stop options go back to 12AM when I hit save.  So, it essentially "charge now" setting.  

#19 OFFLINE   grimmacef13

grimmacef13

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMD
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

Anyone having a problem with programming the start/stop charge time on the weekends?  I believe after this update, programming inputs for weekend times no longer work for me.  I can still program times during the week but on weekends, the start/stop options go back to 12AM when I hit save.  So, it essentially "charge now" setting.  

Yes, it just started yesterday for me. No Go times will work, and my phone can no longer get updates from my car, or send updates.. Also, the Modem is missing a S/N, and the Sync3 number seems to be different. I'm going to reset everything and see if that gets it going again.

Update:

I have a solution. Ford messed this up. I call the Sync line and tell them the problems I am having. Surprise, the OTA upgrade has to have a certain firmware version in order to work properly. Of course, that can only be done at the dealer. So, that's the solution. However, pushing out a software update that only works with some firmware version makes no sense. The upgrade couldn't check the version of firmware in the car and send a message saying you need to upgrade first? Instead we are inconvenienced. Basic software deployment, check to see if your compatible with the system you're being deployed too. I was told the car had to have firmware version 1.4.4.

Edited by grimmacef13, 26 July 2017 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·