Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Best EV Range on single Charge?

range mileage fuel mileage

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dougTFC

dougTFC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationToronto
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

I am determined to try and hit 50 KM on a single charge on my drive to work. Although I am finding it almost impossible to hit.

Yesterday I hit 48.6km EV (30.1miles) of my total 56km (34.8 miles) trip.

What is the best recorded EV miles, and is my 50km goal a pipe dream?

I have found that switching to EV-later in heavy stop and go traffic, I am able to leverage the small Hybrid battery without the ICE turning on which gives me a few extra KM on the overall trip.

What are your "Special" tips and tricks?

Please share!

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

You're going too fast, slow down a bit you'll go further, and, up the brake score to 100%.

Driving score should be 99 for max range, look at your coach bars and make them all full blue.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 16 May 2017 - 07:08 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

I am determined to try and hit 50 KM on a single charge on my drive to work. Although I am finding it almost impossible to hit.

Yesterday I hit 48.6km EV (30.1miles) of my total 56km (34.8 miles) trip.

What is the best recorded EV miles, and is my 50km goal a pipe dream?

I have found that switching to EV-later in heavy stop and go traffic, I am able to leverage the small Hybrid battery without the ICE turning on which gives me a few extra KM on the overall trip.

What are your "Special" tips and tricks?

Please share!

I get better distance at lower speeds. At highway speed switch to EV Later and if highway traffic slows to stop and go use EV. On city streets the low speed limits are ideal for using RV.

Tom

#4 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBelle River
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

I just got 52 on the Charge and then another 5 or 6 on the hybrid before the engine kicked in 

20170604_173141_HDR.jpg

dale.png

• ptjones likes this

#5 OFFLINE   JimG

JimG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan Versa Note

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:18 AM

Best I have achieved with my 2017 Energi is 42.2 miles on straight EV
  • ptjones likes this

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:21 PM

If you got 42 miles then you are #1 as far as I know for EV range in the Cmax. Care to share the details what where the conditions like?

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 CMAX Energi Titainum

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

Ok, not to burst anyones bubble, but are we all talking apples to apples. If I start in EV now, then switch to EV later, then switch back, I think it counts the EV portion of the hybrid miles and adds them to your EV now miles in the trip report. So you could accumulate quite a few EV miles in the trip report screen.  When I think of how many miles can you drive on a battery charge, I assume you are starting  in EV now and leaving there till it switches to EV Auto, which is when the blue battery display goes to 0.  You can still rack up a few more miles on  the hybrid portion of the battery, but I don't  count those.  My rules, not sure if everyone else is playing by them or not??

So how do you max out on my rules.

1.  The slower you go the farther you go. Highway speeds really reduces the miles. 

2. Don't use the brakes, coast as much as possible. Heavy traffic is bad for the miles. I drive pretty empty roads and it helps.

3. Regen with low gear rather than the brakes if at all possible.

4.  Roll through stop signs, keep moving even if slow.

5.  Don't use any accesory power, no heat or ac, keep window open to keep battery as cool as possible

6.  Accelerate slow, 2 bars max and less if possible. Acceleration and braking reduce miles.

7.  MY theory, but using low down hills max's regen current and I believe helps equalize the battery for max capacity. I have no real proof, other than my miles jumped by 5 and I don't know why, except I started using low. The air temp got a little warmer too, might have been it.

8.  Also very biggy, if you can't coast, then regen as much as possible. I count that extra charge under MY Rules and they get you more miles.

Obviously you have to have the optimum conditions to do this and a battery that can deliver 5.5KW or so.

BTW, my 2017 delivers 5.5KW on a charge, and I get about 28 EV now miles regulary. The car tells me I can get 28-31 miles depending on the day. I usually get 1-2 miles less than what it says. I drive 24 miles one way to work. The best day I had 22% HVB left when I coasted into the parking lot.  The math say I should have gotten 31 miles that day.

Rbort says he has gotten 37 miles on one charge, if he is playing by MY Rules.  He might have been down hill in elevation, which will increase the miles.  I have to climb a big hill when I drive to my other plant, and I use almost triple the KW going up as going back home down, it is only about 3 miles away from my house.

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:03 PM

Yes I got 37 miles, that's my record.  I went from Franklin to Fall River on 1 full charge last summer (no highways country roads through plainville, attleboro, rehoboth, that way...  That included some of the hybrid part of the battery, MY rules include the hybrid battery in my range, as its still the same battery not a different one.  I typically use about 1/2 of that before I consider the EV portion flat as you don't want to dig into the hybrid too deep.  In the 2017 model it counts % of the hybrid battery once the % of the main battery is exhausted.  MY rules don't let the hybrid battery get less than 40%, start the engine even if you could squeeze more, and if you have to start the engine guaranteed don't let it get less than 50%.

You are incorrect in some facts:

a) you can't go "a few more miles" in hybrid mode unless your definition of a few equals a couple.

b) If you switch to hybrid mode and then back to EV mode and then back to hybrid, you won't get a "full" hybrid battery after the first use.  Some will have been used.  You can see this in the Empower screen.  If you drive AUTO mode not EV mode (as Empower shows better data in Auto), you will have 4 bars of power until the main battery is exhausted, and then the 4 bars will slowly tick down to 3 then to 2 bars.  If you have switched to EV later and back to Auto a couple of times already, then when the main battery runs out the 4 bars IMMEDIATELY drop to 2 bars.  That's because its not full any more.  Your statement makes it seem like you will get more battery by switching back and forth, you don't.

There is also a bug in the 2017 Cmax system.  If you drive in auto mode and switch to ev later then switch back to auto back and forth a few times, all EV later kwhs burned are NOT counted in your trip meter.  They used to be in 2013 models, but in the 2017 they are NOT.  Which means that because you switch back and forth you can drain the entire battery but say only show 4.6kwh came out of it at the end of the trip, but that is incorrect.  This is because you can burn about 0.5 kwh out of EV later without starting the engine, and if you switch to it and back that portion is not counted and lost from the trip meter.  Its actually in contrary to what you say.

Your 1 through 8 are pretty good points, good advice for folks here.   I'll add some:

The reason for #3 is no brake lights, brake lights take energy out of the battery.  Also there is a chance to dig into the pads if you're not good with braking, which wastes energy.  But to say the least, you're wasting energy with the lights.

The reason for #7 has nothing to do with the battery, its got to do with your regen and going down a hill actually increases the range next time because the car assumes the hill in the next drive even though it most likely doesn't exist.  So if you drive from the top of Mount Washington down to the bottom and stop there and recharge back to full, your range on the car might show 50 miles, seriously.  In any case, never do this, don't take this car to the top of Mount Washington, alot of regen isn't good for the battery anyways going down the hill and if you use the battery to climb the mountain its battery murder.

Bottom line though according to your rules if you're not counting the hybrid battery then you're not counting all of the battery.  5.5kwh for most people includes some hybrid battery.  By the way when I did the 37 mile trip, it did go into hybrid mode before I reached my destination, and if I recall correctly, the total amount from the battery including some of the hyrbid was about 5.6kwh, and that was on a fairly new car (3 months old battery).

-=>Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:40 AM

I went from Franklin to Fall River on 1 full charge

Every challenge I know specifies the SAME start and end point to average out elevation.  And, in my particular flat area, to average out wind.

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:57 AM

I looked it up on google maps, its up 551 feet down 725 feet so sure its a decent of 174 feet in total, not a whole lot definitely not a mountain or hill but something.  At the end of the day you gotta go somewhere, going in a round trip mean you're not going anywhere just using/wasting a full charge of the battery to test it.

That was my personal best so I'm happy with it.  Previous best for me with the 2013 was about 35 miles, I drove 100% EV at 33.6 miles with 2 miles left in range.  Actually when I think about it might have been about the same, so if the battery ran out at 36 miles or 35.6 I probably would have made 37 miles with 1/2 the hybrid.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 26 July 2018 - 05:58 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: range, mileage, fuel mileage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·