Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 417 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

800px-Sechuan_pepper.jpg

https://www.walmart....2&wl13=&veh=sem

Szechuan Peppercorns available through Wally.com.

Sichuan pepper's unique aroma and flavour is not hot or pungent like black, white, or chili peppers. Instead, it has slight lemony overtones and creates a tingly numbness in the mouth (caused by its 3% of hydroxy alpha sanshool) that sets the stage for hot spices. According to Harold McGee in On Food and Cooking, they are not simply pungent; "they produce a strange, tingling, buzzing, numbing sensation that is something like the effect of carbonated drinks or of a mild electric current (touching the terminals of a nine-volt battery to the tongue). Sanshools appear to act on several different kinds of nerve endings at once, induce sensitivity to touch and cold in nerves that are ordinarily nonsensitive, and so perhaps cause a kind of general neurological confusion."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_pepper

Having had the liftgate fix 1.5 years back, I haven't had issues, but am not ruling out a latch/light drain occuring (dealership didn't catch it, but doesn't mean it isn't occurring).

Throwing this back down so other members can easily see the TSB:

I am going to post the TSB regarding the TCU on pre-9/13 mfg vehicles.  IT is pre 6.13 for the wiring and 9.13 for the TCU I believe.

Was the vehicle built on or before 12-Sep-2013?

1. Yes – replace the telematics control unit (TCU)/embedded modem. When completing Programmable Module Installation (PMI) select automatic process for as-built data entry. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00. Proceed to Step 6.
  1. No – proceed to Step 6.

I agree and figure it should be on FORD's dime since the TCU has been incompatible with updates or malfunctioning since 2013 per the various TSBs regarding the battery issues on the ENERGI.  Seems like a customer/consumer goodwill for those that bought the pre 6.13 Energis.

ecraigsmit, on 23 May 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:snapback.png

Had similar problems, was getting issues with the liftgate not closing (liftgate ajar warning after driving some distance even though liftgate hadn't been touched in days), map being off (hey I'm driving in a river), "powering off to save battery" messages, touchscreen powering off or resetting. Checked my battery, measured good (even load-tested), charged it anyway with good Shumacher charger. 1 week later started getting the low battery warnings, pulled fuses and charged it again. 1 week later, doors won't unlock.  Bought new battery and changed it out (it was 3.5 yrs old and had never been run down). Now no problems, map even works correctly. Just my 2 cents but when strange things start happening and your battery is anywhere near 3 years old, just replace it. Here is my hypothesis, the battery gets low for some unknown reason, the motorized liftgate can't close it properly but keeps trying thus fully killing the battery. Ford is doing something wrong to slowly kill the battery in the first place but I think the liftgate finishes it off.

I brought my car in for the battery (because I figured that would be the best option after the battery died) and got sold (actually my wife did) a TSB 16-1057 that if followed correctly per the PRE 9.13 manufacture date requires the  installation of the TCU (which was not done).    

The TSB also allocates 1.4 hours for the work done on my vehicle and the dealer charged us for 4.3 hours at $140 per hour.  After talking to the mechanic and figuring out the work required -1.4 hours seems liberal.

With the TCU install (as it should have been done ), the total hours only bumps up to 1.9 hours.   FORD note that none of the TSB steps are combined and service can only bill for one.

I am not sure what is more infuriating.   The egregious overcharging and obfuscation on the invoice, the incorrect TSB service, or the glaring fact that the car may have been fine with a new batter (which is why I brought it in.)

HERE is the TSB step by step information as well as billing.  THE STEP Numbers got converted to 1. on all when I cut and paste.  To see the actual numbering of the steps pleas visit the site through the link below.

http://ford.oemdtc.c...2014-ford-c-max

TSB 16-0157 C-MAX ENERGI – DISCHARGED 12 VOLT BATTERY Publication Date: December 1, 2016

FORD: 2013-2014 C-MAX

This article supersedes TSB 15-0089 to update the Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi vehicles may exhibit a concern with a discharged 12 volt battery.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the 12 volt battery. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-01.
  1. Connect the Rotunda Midtronics GR1-190 or GRX-3590 Diagnostic Battery Charger to the vehicle’s battery terminal posts only. Battery cables must be removed and no other connections, such as body ground, can be in the circuit during testing.
    1. Select diagnostic fast charge.
    1. On GR1-190 only – select above 400 km (250 miles) or below 400 km (250 miles) based on vehicle mileage.
    1. Select battery type Lead Acid.
    1. Enter cold cranking amp (CCA) rating of 390 CCA.
  1. Did the battery pass the load test?
    1. Yes – allow battery to fully charge. After charging is complete, reconnect the 12 volt battery. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01. Proceed to Step 4.
    1. No – record the failure code. Replace the battery. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01. Make sure the new 12 volt battery is fully charged. Using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) service tool, perform the battery monitoring system (BMS) reset after the new battery is connected. Proceed to Step 4.
  1. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM), DC/DC converter (DCDC), instrument panel cluster (IPC), and gateway module (GWM) using IDS release 102.04 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to guarantee you will receive the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.
    1. Inspect vehicle communication module (VCM) and cables for any damage. Make sure scan tool connections are not interrupted during programming.
    1. Connect the VCM to the vehicle’s primary data link connector (DLC). Do not connect the VCM to the GWM data link connector.
    1. Turn off all accessories (radio, heated/cooled seats, headlamps, interior lamps, HVAC system) and close doors.
    1. Disconnect any aftermarket accessories.
    1. Disable sleep mode, screen saver and hibernation modes on the computer used for IDS.
    1. Create all IDS vehicle sessions key on engine off (KOEO). Starting the vehicle before creating a session will cause errors within the programming inhale process.
    1. Connect a battery charger to the 12 volt battery.
  1. Was the vehicle built on or before 12-Sep-2013?
    1. Yes – replace the telematics control unit (TCU)/embedded modem. When completing Programmable Module Installation (PMI) select automatic process for as-built data entry. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00. Proceed to Step 6.
  1. Was the vehicle built on or before 3-Jun-2013?
    1. Yes – proceed to Step 7.
    1. No – proceed to Step 8.
  1. Inspect the wiring for damage or chafing in the rear liftgate area, driver door connector wire harness C339 and front passenger door connector wire harness C340 (Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4). Is damage or chafing present?
    tb10582a.jpg
    Figure 1 – 16-0157 

tb10583a.jpg
    Figure 2 – 16-0157

tb10584a.jpg
    Figure 3 – 16-0157
    tb10585a.jpg
    Figure 4 – 16-0157

1. Yes – repair the circuits as needed. Refer to Wiring Diagram(WD), Section 5-1. After repair, wrap the affected area with 3M Temflex Cotton Friction Tape or equivalent to prevent future concerns. Proceed to Step 8.
    1. No – wrap affected area with 3M Temflex Cotton Friction Tape or equivalent to prevent future concerns. Proceed to Step 8.
  1. Print the information sheet and provide to the customer. Communicate to the customer that Ford recommends disconnecting any devices attached to the auxiliary power port, USB port and OBDII port when the vehicle is turned off. (such as cell phone chargers, USB devices, insurance company snapshot devices). (Figure 5)

PART NUMBER PART NAME GM5Z-14G229-BD TCU Module BXT-67R 12 Volt Battery

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
160157A 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.4 Hrs.
160157B 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.7 Hrs.
160157C 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.1 Hrs.
160157D 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.3 Hrs.
160157E 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.9 Hrs.
160157F 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.1 Hrs.
160157G 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.6 Hrs.
160157H 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.8 Hrs.

On my vehicle  TSB-16-1057 A   1.4 hours was followed but wrong due to the information here within the above TSB:  

Was the vehicle built on or before 12-Sep-2013?

1. Yes – replace the telematics control unit (TCU)/embedded modem. When completing Programmable Module Installation (PMI) select automatic process for as-built data entry. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00. Proceed to Step 6.

They should have done TSB 16 -1057 E which required 1.9 Total hours labor and the cost of the TCU part.   Still was overcharged almost $400 for the 160157A they performed which is criminal.  I have no faith in the BBB and expect my only recourse after direct appeal to the service manager and GM is through online review sites by citing the evidence of this fraud. 

Brought the information to the service managers attention, we'll see what happens.   Sure with they had just put in the new 67R as requested.

Edited by altabrig, 23 May 2017 - 12:57 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

Went in to talk to service manager Monday and showed him the invoice along with Ford allowance for labor. Look on his face showed he knew it was over billed.

After calling a couple times, on Friday the service manager the service advisor call and tell my wife she had been only overcharged 0.5 hours and quoted her at a higher labor rate $150 vs the $140 rate on the invoice. When she scoffed and let him know the hourly difference between his rate and the invoice and ask how he came up with the erroneous .5 hour deduction, the advisor, who originally ripped us off, said "you need to talk o the service manager."

How many trusting folks are getting ripped off by this corrupt expletive clownshow?

I wonder how often​ the stealership service gets away with huge labor hour overcharge? The guys nicked us for 4.3 hours on what the FORD TSB only allows 1.4 hours to be billed and not combined with any other billing.

Feeling like the situation has only negative prospect​s for dealer only service with fraudulent overcharging for inept and incorrect TSB service on a repair that should be covered by Ford due to a TCU (pre 9.13 manufacture) that must be replaced to work with the software and 12v.

#63 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Well, now Max just had his first dead 12V since I bought him.  Couple thoughts.

-I got a notice apparently 12 12:13AM that 12V was low.  Went out at about 8AM and he was completely dead.  Plugged in the EVSE and it knew it was connected but there was nothing to connect to in Max.

-Tried my smart charger and of course it was too smart to find anything to charge.

-Pulled out the super old, small stupid charger.  It jumped to over it's max of 6amps and after maybe 10 seconds, things started to fire up in max, a couple clicks and then we were on EVSE power and the charger read about 0 amps going in.

Big Kudos to Ford on the jump start points in the hood compare to Toyota.  They actually gave a Ground point and a big chunky thing to get the positive clamp on.

My note of thought is wondering if you that have had recent 12V failures were done so without leaving your cars plugged in overnight?

I ask because normally mine is plugged in from like 6pm-7am every night.

This 12V failure happened after I've not plugged it in for about 5 days.  It HAD been driven for about (2) 20+ minute trips on the last 2 days.  Which I would THINK would be enough to keep it charged.  But now I'm wondering if the EVSE does a better job at keeping the 12V fully charged and so if you're on a battery at it's end of life if it might make the difference in staying charged or not...

Though it does almost seem like there might be something else because he was DEAD this morning.  No hint of lights or anything else.  And I confirmed once I got it booted that the trunk was fully closed, no lights on...

We'll see.

#64 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 329 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Alta came by and we tested his battery. It immediately tested good. Excellent, actually. When we connected the ground trunk would not close with the power close button and power door locks would not at first as well. After closing the trunk manually and opening that worked. It took a little tinkering by Alta with the key before it started working....

#65 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 329 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Both times the battery died it was not plugged in. Also, it seems it was not plugged in for a while, but ours died during the daytime. I agree that the EVSE does seem to help charge the 12 V. I was shocked that Alta's car experienced the issues that I mentioned and was quite freaked out literally, from just disconnecting the ground and testing the battery. Once his wife noted that the door unlock button didn't work in my desperation I said "are you kidding me", but I didn't mean to doubt her, I saw it was obviously not working. I was saying it out of frustration with the issue popping up. There seem to be strange differences. For example, we have not once received notice of low battery levels, not once. Twice it was at least low because the car would not start, the second time I tested the battery bad and replaced it!

Our build date is some time in late April I believe. I think Alta's car is sometime in January. I have no idea what programming differences has been done to all of ours....

Edited by jzchen, 27 May 2017 - 08:15 PM.

#66 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 329 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

In retrospect maybe our BMS has gone bad....

Edited by jzchen, 27 May 2017 - 08:17 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical problems software, electrical problems, charging problems, 12v battery problems, software update, wiring problems, modules, charge cord problem, charger, charge fault -not charging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·