Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

Mine came back yesterday with no resolution on the 12v, but this time the latches were done after telling the service advisor to do it (he neglected to do so last week).

The must have gone over it with an inspection or the mechanic took extra care after a loose pushpin and wiring flex sleeve I found last week.

On initial inspection, No broken pushpins or panels flopping.

Jzchen,
Thanks for the kind offer. I may take you up on you testing offer. Weird that both cmaxs experience mfm messages and battery issues almost simultaneously. I noticed that there isn't mush room to wrench down the negative clamp on the terminal even with the ducting removed. At least your spatula is non conductive - better than a crescent wrench loose back there.

I wish I had gone out and done the 12v myself instead of going to the dealership. It was a bad call but I would have had to drive to an AZ open late and do it late and only save about $40 over the dealer instaled . I figured​ that it was cheap labor, $15, and the dealer service would screw it up or recommend an expensive software flash or digital hardware upgrade.

If I had read the dealer service reviews on Google reviews prior, the number of negative reviewas about bait and switch service scams, unnecessary service, extreme overcharges, long waits, lack of issue resolution/repair and general unprofessional and unfriendly interaction I would have maybe balked at that dealer located only a mile from home. Then again I only brought Chunk in for a 12v.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:46 AM

I wish I had gone out and done the 12v myself instead of going to the dealership. It was a bad call but I would have had to drive to an AZ open late and do it late and only save about $40 over the dealer instaled . I figured​ that it was cheap labor, $15, and the dealer service would screw it up or recommend an expensive software flash or digital hardware upgrade.

Another advantage is ford will cover replacement when it fails next time.

#43 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

It is very interesting that both our batteries drained on the exact same day, and in somewhat close vicinity. To clarify my wife did not get any low battery warnings from MFM. She noted she wasn't able to kick open the rear lift gate but was able to get the doors open without the mechanical key. Hers did not reach critical low levels to send the low battery warning I guess, which I verified is set on MFM.

I think my wife felt like I did extraneous/experimental work on her car, but obviously being a lady and getting stranded in a dark parking lot after her late shift would not be a pleasant experience to say the least. No other low battery experience since that day. Her work is in Downey or Bellflower depending on day....

Let me know if you are around, and I'll let you know if I go to your area. Always love South Coast Plaza, but haven't made the trek there in a while...

I retrieved the spatula this morning. I followed JnTX's instructions to remove the lower tray. There are two tension clips, one at each end, towards the rear of the car, that made it a little nerve racking to pull up. I got the tray out, and could see the end of the plastic spatula sticking out behind/towards the right side of the battery. I reached in and grabbed the end, carefully lifted it up, and out. Unfortunately the plastic part above has a sharp point sticking down, the area to the right of the panel that holds the fuel funnel, which hinders movemevent and poked a nice deep indentation into my forearm. Luckily no penetration/bleeding....

#44 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

Bad news. Wouldn't start coming to Church!

Got a picture of the message on the display. Instrument cluster completely dark!

Sigh.

All I did was open the lift gate to retrieve the spatula as noted. Seemed like the lift gate didn't close properly electronically as I used the button to close it....

Attached Files

#45 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

I'm beginning to suspect this:

http://fordcmaxhybri...ift-gate-latch/

#46 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

Since I suspect the trunk lamp draining the battery I'm going to proactively replace it with either a ZEVO 2825 LED or Philips 194LED.  This will lessen the drain lest it happen again.  (My wife said as soon as she gets another buyback offer to buy her car she will take it....)

Had the bright idea to attach my charger/maintainer to the jump points under the hood and it registered 9.x V.  (I noticed the liftgate seemed to be moving sluggishly.)

#47 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:24 AM

When getting the door latch recall completed make sure you inspect each of the interior for panels after the work in completed. I now need to set up a new appointment to fix a loose door panel that causes the door to jam. It can't be opened without freeing the panel from the weatherstripping on the latch side of the door. Fixing the jam is header because there is a child's carseat next to that door. This would of shown up sooner but I was not using that rear door much until recently. The other three doors were ok.

Tom

Doing mine they cracked a door trim piece. I've noted how pleased I have been with the service delivered by the local Ford garage so far. I never would have noticed it if they hadn't pointed it out. They ordered the piece and called when it came in and took 5 minutes replacing it.

Edited by Perry Knopp, 22 May 2017 - 01:24 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

Since I suspect the trunk lamp draining the battery I'm going to proactively replace it with either a ZEVO 2825 LED or Philips 194LED.  This will lessen the drain lest it happen again.  (My wife said as soon as she gets another buyback offer to buy her car she will take it....)

Had the bright idea to attach my charger/maintainer to the jump points under the hood and it registered 9.x V.  (I noticed the liftgate seemed to be moving sluggishly.)

I recall that before I bought my C-Max, but I had already gotten the dealer to approve MFM on it for me, I saw the 12V die at least once and he did say that the trunk wasn't latching and was draining the battery...

That's the sort of thing that bugs the crap out of me...  The system will not allow me the option of listening to the radio for more than 10 minutes (to "conserve power"), yet it will leave just leave some of the lights on forever till the battery is dead...  I know our Sienna is smart enough to turn them off after some length of time if left on...

As far as the messages, I've been getting "accidental unplug", "scheduled to be charged, needs to be plugged in" and...  I think any other one your guys mentioned at random and almost daily pretty much since the 3G upgrade.  None at any times that it actually happened or when it is actually near charging time...

#49 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Another advantage is ford will cover replacement when it fails next time.

Indeed and that was a selling point in addition to the 3yr vs 2yr warranty on the AZ duralast.  But they sold me the software patch and inspection instead of the new lead.

It is very interesting that both our batteries drained on the exact same day, and in somewhat close vicinity. To clarify my wife did not get any low battery warnings from MFM. She noted she wasn't able to kick open the rear lift gate but was able to get the doors open without the mechanical key. Hers did not reach critical low levels to send the low battery warning I guess, which I verified is set on MFM.

Let me know if you are around, and I'll let you know if I go to your area. Always love South Coast Plaza, but haven't made the trek there in a while...

Thanks I will.  And likewise, I am less than 3 miles from South Coast Plaza.

Bad news. Wouldn't start coming to Church!

Got a picture of the message on the display. Instrument cluster completely dark!

Sigh.

All I did was open the lift gate to retrieve the spatula as noted. Seemed like the lift gate didn't close properly electronically as I used the button to close it....

Oh Brother.  I am dreading the feeling.   Had that twice last week (once after the patch).  Now the dealer can't find a drain so I have a ghost in the machine to lose sleep over.   Hope you find an easy solution.

Kind of exactly what I GAMBLED against being a 1st year adopter of the new tech.   UGGG.   Got to deal with the dealership for gross overcharges and after reading the full TSB- 16 -1057  my wife and I realized that they did not complete the full TSB as recommended by FORD for vehicles built before  6/13.  All vehicles mfg. before 6.13 need the TCU replaced as part of the standard TSB and the dealership didn't.  Dealership also did not charge the TSB hours per the FORD official TSB procedure sheet.    NEET.  I will update with more information after visiting the service manager later.

I recall that before I bought my C-Max, but I had already gotten the dealer to approve MFM on it for me, I saw the 12V die at least once and he did say that the trunk wasn't latching and was draining the battery...

That's the sort of thing that bugs the crap out of me...  The system will not allow me the option of listening to the radio for more than 10 minutes (to "conserve power"), yet it will leave just leave some of the lights on forever till the battery is dead...  I know our Sienna is smart enough to turn them off after some length of time if left on...

As far as the messages, I've been getting "accidental unplug", "scheduled to be charged, needs to be plugged in" and...  I think any other one your guys mentioned at random and almost daily pretty much since the 3G upgrade.  None at any times that it actually happened or when it is actually near charging time...

My (non-confidence inspiring) dealer service could not find a drain (but that doesn't mean they did not miss one in the rear hatch or the rear hatch light.   I have had several strange scheduled and needs messages, but the ones that came with the two dead 12v situations were downright bizarre. 

#50 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

Jzchen:

Funny you said this:

(My wife said as soon as she gets another buyback offer to buy her car she will take it....)

And just today I got an "Official Buyback Program" check for my Ford Cmax for $13896.00

Sorry, they can't have it, I love mine won't give it up for 14k no way!

-=>Raja.

#51 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

One ZEVO 194 and one ZEVO 2825 bulb are in the trunk now.  (I had the 194 in stock at home and it is "compatible".  The ZEVOs are rated 0.7W at 12.8V and from research I could only find 1W for the Philips.  So now instead of two 5W (I'm guessing) bulbs it's less than 1/5th the drain.  The reason I suspect this is because when my family got in to go to church and I was trying to start it I looked back and saw the trunk light on on the passenger side!  I noticed later that as soon as the lift gate closes these lights go out, and upon opening a door do not come on.  I also recognize I don't always hear the click as mentioned when it latches.....

Raja, I am glad your car is working for you.  Somewhere around 2013 I noted somewhere here that if Ford had come out with the C-MAX a year earlier I would have helped my parents get one instead of a Prius v.  Unfortunately since ours is no longer being nice, it is obviously a different story, and I am really sad that it is acting up.  I just spent most of the day while my son was in school on the car.  The only CarQuest/Advance Auto that had the T4 in stock was in Pomona, a 23 mile drive, in which I missed a turn and had a long way round back....

I have decided to tackle the issue with the LEDs and more powerful T4 battery.  I hope it will work fine now.  The only message we've received from MFM has been that the clock was off, obviously after reconnecting it this afternoon, just before going to pick up our son.  (So far so good...)

#52 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

On a side note first time I tested the battery with my tester it said to charge it.  Considering I had just charged through the jump points, I started disassembling the back end.  I then charged the battery while I continued disassembly.  Sure enough, when it was charged and out I tested it again, and it said it needed replacing....

Alta, feel free to let me know!  Good Chinese food around here!   :smile2:  I'll see about South Coast as well, but I think your battery is fine/replaced now no?  (Maybe you should switch to the LEDs just as a precaution.  I got the one at my local Walmart, had the other one in my bulb drawer.)

#53 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

Just FYI. when the 12v battery gets low strange things happen.  I forgot the parking light on mine on one night, and drained the battery down to 8v.  I noticed all the lights were flashing in the car when I tried to access it.  The car was freaking out due to low voltage.  Not sure if your lights are on due to the low voltage, you said 9v but try them anyways and see if it helps.  In any case all you did is slow down the drain if indeed they are staying on, but you didn't fix it.  If your 12v battery is bad, try to replace it and see if it holds up.  I would monitor its voltage closely by leaving the hood open so you can check the voltage with a voltmeter periodically and see if its dropping or not with the car at rest.

Good luck I hope you get it sorted out.

-=>Raja.

#54 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Just FYI. when the 12v battery gets low strange things happen.  I forgot the parking light on mine on one night, and drained the battery down to 8v.  I noticed all the lights were flashing in the car when I tried to access it.  The car was freaking out due to low voltage.  Not sure if your lights are on due to the low voltage, you said 9v but try them anyways and see if it helps.  In any case all you did is slow down the drain if indeed they are staying on, but you didn't fix it.  If your 12v battery is bad, try to replace it and see if it holds up.  I would monitor its voltage closely by leaving the hood open so you can check the voltage with a voltmeter periodically and see if its dropping or not with the car at rest.

Good luck I hope you get it sorted out.

-=>Raja.

Thanks Raja.  The original battery was bad when I tested it, the second time.  (I had to test it twice as the first time the tester said to charge it.  I had been charging since yesterday overnight.  The charger noted it was charged when I checked in the morning, but opening the door/trunk I noticed the % charge went down a lot very quickly.)  Second test showed reasonable voltage but only 110 CCAs, or something in the low one hundred range.  It specified to replace it.  I was trying to search for an AGM that would fit, or at least a slightly larger battery with stronger specs, and ended up finding T4 / BCI Group 99, was just slightly larger per the sizing chart I was able to find online.  I verified with the CarQuest/Advance Auto Parts store in Pomona that had it in stock which side the positive terminal is on, and ordered it for pick up because online orders had a discount code that gave me 30% off.  When I went to pick it up it looked like almost an exact match, or even slightly smaller.  Instead of 390 CCA it has 470 CCA.  As for reserve capacity it notes 70 mins, where from what I could find online the original BXT-67R has a reserve capacity of 65 mins.  I just checked and the 2825 bulb, per AutoZone website, uses 5 W.  So instead of 10 W the two bulbs I am now using, are only draining a net 1.4 W, if somehow we get the glitch again.

Be careful, one more drain and I would bet your battery would go bad.  That's what seems to have happened to my wife's...

Regarding TCU replacement:  My wife has sent her car so many times in for recalls/repairs I thought one of them was replacement of the TCU, or at least one of them.  I would be quite irate if I had to pay $600 and the TCU wasn't the correct/new one yet!  That is crazy!!!

Edited by jzchen, 22 May 2017 - 08:56 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:41 AM

As Levi Smith so kindly referenced to reset the bounce-back feature, I just went out to do that this morning.  I was flipping through glancing here and there and found the trunk light bulbs to be "W6W".  I wonder if that is a typo?  If not, the trunk lamps are using less than 12% what they once were, 1.4 W vs. 12 W.  That should help... 

#56 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Got the buyback offer yesterday in the mail. No check, AND any excess mileage over 10k/year will be deducted at a rate of $0.65/mi! I did the math and at her current mileage they would be giving her $7300.85, and she just left for work, another 40 miles about round trip....

I guess she'll plan to drive it 'till the wheels fall off, or maybe trade it for a Tesla Model 3.

Edited by jzchen, 23 May 2017 - 07:22 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   ecraigsmit

ecraigsmit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

Had similar problems, was getting issues with the liftgate not closing (liftgate ajar warning after driving some distance even though liftgate hadn't been touched in days), map being off (hey I'm driving in a river), "powering off to save battery" messages, touchscreen powering off or resetting. Checked my battery, measured good (even load-tested), charged it anyway with good Shumacher charger. 1 week later started getting the low battery warnings, pulled fuses and charged it again. 1 week later, doors won't unlock.  Bought new battery and changed it out (it was 3.5 yrs old and had never been run down). Now no problems, map even works correctly. Just my 2 cents but when strange things start happening and your battery is anywhere near 3 years old, just replace it. Here is my hypothesis, the battery gets low for some unknown reason, the motorized liftgate can't close it properly but keeps trying thus fully killing the battery. Ford is doing something wrong to slowly kill the battery in the first place but I think the liftgate finishes it off.

#58 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

On a side note first time I tested the battery with my tester it said to charge it.  Considering I had just charged through the jump points, I started disassembling the back end.  I then charged the battery while I continued disassembly.  Sure enough, when it was charged and out I tested it again, and it said it needed replacing....

Alta, feel free to let me know!  Good Chinese food around here!   :smile2:  I'll see about South Coast as well, but I think your battery is fine/replaced now no?  (Maybe you should switch to the LEDs just as a precaution.  I got the one at my local Walmart, had the other one in my bulb drawer.)

Sounds good.   The dealership must not have given the battery an adequate test.  Perhaps they tested from the front posts and tested it right after a charge?  Thanks for the tip for the Wallyworld LEDs.  I will probably pick up a Diode there.

Always on the lookout for the Szechuan peppercorn with the numbing effect.  I have found it in Rowland Heights but not locally.   Got addicted to it when I was in Chengdu (actually on a hike when I got some spicy tofu on the trail) then craved it.  All the hot pot places in Chengdu use it as a staple.   Fun eating.

Thanks Raja.  The original battery was bad when I tested it, the second time.  (I had to test it twice as the first time the tester said to charge it.  I had been charging since yesterday overnight.  The charger noted it was charged when I checked in the morning, but opening the door/trunk I noticed the % charge went down a lot very quickly.)  Second test showed reasonable voltage but only 110 CCAs, or something in the low one hundred range.  It specified to replace it.  I was trying to search for an AGM that would fit, or at least a slightly larger battery with stronger specs, and ended up finding T4 / BCI Group 99, was just slightly larger per the sizing chart I was able to find online.  I verified with the CarQuest/Advance Auto Parts store in Pomona that had it in stock which side the positive terminal is on, and ordered it for pick up because online orders had a discount code that gave me 30% off.  When I went to pick it up it looked like almost an exact match, or even slightly smaller.  Instead of 390 CCA it has 470 CCA.  As for reserve capacity it notes 70 mins, where from what I could find online the original BXT-67R has a reserve capacity of 65 mins.  I just checked and the 2825 bulb, per AutoZone website, uses 5 W.  So instead of 10 W the two bulbs I am now using, are only draining a net 1.4 W, if somehow we get the glitch again.

Be careful, one more drain and I would bet your battery would go bad.  That's what seems to have happened to my wife's...

Regarding TCU replacement:  My wife has sent her car so many times in for recalls/repairs I thought one of them was replacement of the TCU, or at least one of them.  I would be quite irate if I had to pay $600 and the TCU wasn't the correct/new one yet!  That is crazy!!!

I am going to post the TSB regarding the TCU on pre-9/13 mfg vehicles.  IT is pre 6.13 for the wiring and 9.13 for the TCU I believe.

Was the vehicle built on or before 12-Sep-2013?

1. Yes – replace the telematics control unit (TCU)/embedded modem. When completing Programmable Module Installation (PMI) select automatic process for as-built data entry. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00. Proceed to Step 6.
  1. No – proceed to Step 6.

I agree and figure it should be on FORD's dime since the TCU has been incompatible with updates or malfunctioning since 2013 per the various TSBs regarding the battery issues on the ENERGI.  Seems like a customer/consumer goodwill for those that bought the pre 6.13 Energis.

Had similar problems, was getting issues with the liftgate not closing (liftgate ajar warning after driving some distance even though liftgate hadn't been touched in days), map being off (hey I'm driving in a river), "powering off to save battery" messages, touchscreen powering off or resetting. Checked my battery, measured good (even load-tested), charged it anyway with good Shumacher charger. 1 week later started getting the low battery warnings, pulled fuses and charged it again. 1 week later, doors won't unlock.  Bought new battery and changed it out (it was 3.5 yrs old and had never been run down). Now no problems, map even works correctly. Just my 2 cents but when strange things start happening and your battery is anywhere near 3 years old, just replace it. Here is my hypothesis, the battery gets low for some unknown reason, the motorized liftgate can't close it properly but keeps trying thus fully killing the battery. Ford is doing something wrong to slowly kill the battery in the first place but I think the liftgate finishes it off.

I brought my car in for the battery (because I figured that would be the best option after the battery died) and got sold (actually my wife did) a TSB 16-1057 that if followed correctly per the PRE 9.13 manufacture date requires the  installation of the TCU (which was not done).    

The TSB also allocates 1.4 hours for the work done on my vehicle and the dealer charged us for 4.3 hours at $140 per hour.  After talking to the mechanic and figuring out the work required -1.4 hours seems liberal.

With the TCU install (as it should have been done ), the total hours only bumps up to 1.9 hours.   FORD note that none of the TSB steps are combined and service can only bill for one.

I am not sure what is more infuriating.   The egregious overcharging and obfuscation on the invoice, the incorrect TSB service, or the glaring fact that the car may have been fine with a new batter (which is why I brought it in.)

HERE is the TSB step by step information as well as billing.  THE STEP Numbers got converted to 1. on all when I cut and paste.  To see the actual numbering of the steps pleas visit the site through the link below.

http://ford.oemdtc.c...2014-ford-c-max

TSB 16-0157 C-MAX ENERGI – DISCHARGED 12 VOLT BATTERY Publication Date: December 1, 2016

FORD: 2013-2014 C-MAX

This article supersedes TSB 15-0089 to update the Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi vehicles may exhibit a concern with a discharged 12 volt battery.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the 12 volt battery. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-01.
  1. Connect the Rotunda Midtronics GR1-190 or GRX-3590 Diagnostic Battery Charger to the vehicle’s battery terminal posts only. Battery cables must be removed and no other connections, such as body ground, can be in the circuit during testing.
    1. Select diagnostic fast charge.
    1. On GR1-190 only – select above 400 km (250 miles) or below 400 km (250 miles) based on vehicle mileage.
    1. Select battery type Lead Acid.
    1. Enter cold cranking amp (CCA) rating of 390 CCA.
  1. Did the battery pass the load test?
    1. Yes – allow battery to fully charge. After charging is complete, reconnect the 12 volt battery. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01. Proceed to Step 4.
    1. No – record the failure code. Replace the battery. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01. Make sure the new 12 volt battery is fully charged. Using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) service tool, perform the battery monitoring system (BMS) reset after the new battery is connected. Proceed to Step 4.
  1. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM), DC/DC converter (DCDC), instrument panel cluster (IPC), and gateway module (GWM) using IDS release 102.04 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to guarantee you will receive the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.
    1. Inspect vehicle communication module (VCM) and cables for any damage. Make sure scan tool connections are not interrupted during programming.
    1. Connect the VCM to the vehicle’s primary data link connector (DLC). Do not connect the VCM to the GWM data link connector.
    1. Turn off all accessories (radio, heated/cooled seats, headlamps, interior lamps, HVAC system) and close doors.
    1. Disconnect any aftermarket accessories.
    1. Disable sleep mode, screen saver and hibernation modes on the computer used for IDS.
    1. Create all IDS vehicle sessions key on engine off (KOEO). Starting the vehicle before creating a session will cause errors within the programming inhale process.
    1. Connect a battery charger to the 12 volt battery.
  1. Was the vehicle built on or before 12-Sep-2013?
    1. Yes – replace the telematics control unit (TCU)/embedded modem. When completing Programmable Module Installation (PMI) select automatic process for as-built data entry. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00. Proceed to Step 6.
  1. Was the vehicle built on or before 3-Jun-2013?
    1. Yes – proceed to Step 7.
    1. No – proceed to Step 8.
  1. Inspect the wiring for damage or chafing in the rear liftgate area, driver door connector wire harness C339 and front passenger door connector wire harness C340 (Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4). Is damage or chafing present?
    tb10582a.jpg
    Figure 1 – 16-0157 

tb10583a.jpg
    Figure 2 – 16-0157

tb10584a.jpg
    Figure 3 – 16-0157
    tb10585a.jpg
    Figure 4 – 16-0157

1. Yes – repair the circuits as needed. Refer to Wiring Diagram(WD), Section 5-1. After repair, wrap the affected area with 3M Temflex Cotton Friction Tape or equivalent to prevent future concerns. Proceed to Step 8.
    1. No – wrap affected area with 3M Temflex Cotton Friction Tape or equivalent to prevent future concerns. Proceed to Step 8.
  1. Print the information sheet and provide to the customer. Communicate to the customer that Ford recommends disconnecting any devices attached to the auxiliary power port, USB port and OBDII port when the vehicle is turned off. (such as cell phone chargers, USB devices, insurance company snapshot devices). (Figure 5)

PART NUMBER PART NAME GM5Z-14G229-BD TCU Module BXT-67R 12 Volt Battery

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
160157A 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.4 Hrs.
160157B 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.7 Hrs.
160157C 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.1 Hrs.
160157D 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.3 Hrs.
160157E 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.9 Hrs.
160157F 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.1 Hrs.
160157G 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.6 Hrs.
160157H 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.8 Hrs.

On my vehicle  TSB-16-1057 A   1.4 hours was followed but wrong due to the information here within the above TSB:  

Was the vehicle built on or before 12-Sep-2013?

They should have done TSB 16 -1057 E which required 1.9 Total hours labor and the cost of the TCU part.   Still was overcharged almost $400 for the 160157A they performed which is criminal.  I have no faith in the BBB and expect my only recourse after direct appeal to the service manager and GM is through online review sites by citing the evidence of this fraud. 

Brought the information to the service managers attention, we'll see what happens.   Sure with they had just put in the new 67R as requested.

Edited by altabrig, 23 May 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#59 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

The battery test was done by me. It sometimes asks to charge the battery, before trying to run the test again. I was joking with my wife that I should have charged her $600. I'd be a third of the way to getting a CarDAQ-M, and possibly being able to flash a significant amount of modules with FMP. I saw an actual Ford VCM II on eBay including a year subscription to IDS for around $800. I could open a Ford repair shop.....

My wife used the car to go to work this morning. I hope tonight she doesn't have any issues when she comes home late! With a fresh battery, hopefully not.....

You can always check the availability of items on the Walmart website, before you go. I realize each one sometimes has different stock.

The lift gate I notice almost always slams itself shut when using the power closing feature. That said it is similar in her BMW, so I'm not sure what is going on regarding that.

Uh oh, I just replaced the battery with a different spec battery and did not do the BMS reset! My wife's not going to be happy about that.....

#60 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

Numbing peppercorn with addicting properties. Hmm. Hope it didn't have cocaine in it!

A dead/weak battery definitely causes issues. One would think that a PHEV's 12 V gets low utililizatiom and should last longer than it seems to be. I agree something is up with the liftgate, and add to that if it doesn't close the two trunk lights remain lit. I also noticed as the liftgate opens several lights on the outside of the car in the trunk area light up as well....

Now I have to figure out a cost effective way to get that BMS reset done...........

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical problems software, electrical problems, charging problems, 12v battery problems, software update, wiring problems, modules, charge cord problem, charger, charge fault -not charging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·