Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

EV Range, what do I count?

range ev

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:32 AM

I cannot believe I have not asked this before, or recall seeing this discussed.

When I monitor how many miles, and kwh I get from my battery, I start from a full charge, and drive it.

Do I wait until the car switches from the 'big' battery to the 'hybrid' battery?  Or do I wait all the way until the ICE turns on?

Yesterday I was able to eek out an additional 3+ miles after that switch.

I drove 21.3 miles, then I saw the battery icon change, and was able to drive to 24.5 before the ICE turned on.

If I have been advertising that I get ~21 miles out of my battery, I may be underestimating, no?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:48 AM

From what I've seen, it's the same question as when it comes up that someone gets xxKWh from their battery pack...  

Yeah, I wonder what everyone considers the point...

I can see about 5KWH when it switches to hybrid mode, but have seen as high as 5.7KWh depending on how low the hybrid indicator gets...

As far as what exactly you're describing, if you want to tell people you went xxmiles on EV only before the gas engine started, then yes I would say you would be accurate to say exactly that.  Personally though, I'd make it clear that it is only one example and that anyone else could get half that mileage, or 50% more depending on how/where they use the vehicle...

#3 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,172 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:49 AM

Both.  It doesn't matter.  What does matter is clarifying which method you're using when you state your range or better yet your total kwh's used.  You used another 1-ish kwhr when dipping into the hybrid portion of the battery which is usually 3-4 miles when driving efficiently (which you were).  

We had a thread back in the early days for personal best on the EV portion of the pack.  I reached 30 and IIRC the best was about 35.

I use a scanguage II and it breaks down the battery SOC into a 0-100 percentage reading.  Hybrid mode activates at 21-22% and, if driven softly, the ICE won't activate till 15%.

Edited by fotomoto, 09 May 2017 - 05:52 AM.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

I always count the hybrid battery into it as its the same battery and you're using it from the allowed full charge value to the allowed lower limit.

Hybrid works in a working range from 21.5% to 14.5% from what I understand, and its still part of the main battery so logic says all of it.

Last night I came home from NY coming back from VA the day before.  When I got home I had about 1/2 a hybrid battery.  It went into hybrid 2.1 miles before home and I babied it home without starting the engine any more.  I had shut down the engine on I-295 about 13 miles out and my estimation for battery remaining to distance home has been perfect, I was happy with myself predicting when I did the last burn on the engine to make it home on the hybrid.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 09 May 2017 - 07:03 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

When I post values like these to the forum it is always up to the point it switches to hybrid mode unless I state otherwise. I typically get about 5.0 kwh up to the switch to hybrid mode. If I do a more controlled test on a mild day and draw the HVB down a single trip without stops I can usually get about 5.4 kwh. Add another 0.2-0.4 kwh on top of that for when the ICE actually kicks on. The most I've ever been able to draw out on a single charge including the hybrid portion of the HVB was 5.9 kwh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: range, ev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·