Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Conflicting ignition position instructions when towing behind a motorhome

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

So what is it, neutral with ignition off or in accessory when being towed four down?    Mine is push button so I tested both scenarios. 

I positioned myself on top of a long grade, parked and shut the ignition off.  I put my foot on the brake, pressed the ignition switch, moved the transmission to “N”, removed my foot from the brake then shut off the ignition.  I opened and closed the door to simulate leaving and waited until everything timed out.  The only thing still displaying was a red “N” on the dash where the gear selection shows.  I let off the hand brake to freely roll as if I was being towed.  I successfully engaged the foot brake three times then on the fourth attempt noted that power assist to the brakes was gone.  My conclusion is the C-Max brakes are not active when the ignition is off.

I repeated the test exactly the same except in accessory.  The brakes remained powered the entire way down the grade with no fade.  My conclusion is C-Max brakes are active when the ignition is in accessory.  Hopefully they remain so without timing out. 

Under both tests the steering was unpowered.  When I slightly depressed the brake, while also depressing the ignition button, this woke up the power steering instantly. 

So is it right to be off or in accessory?  

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

Off would be the correct mode. I'm thinking the accessory mentioned is incorrect

#3 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

Here is Fords reply:  I am totally satisfied since all of my tests agreed, ignition should be OFF. 

Hello John,

My name is Melissa, I am from Ford`s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I am following up regarding our chat from earlier today.

Thank you for allowing me to look into your inquiry further. You inquired if your ignition should be in the ON or OFF position during flat tow. I have confirmed that it should always be in the OFF position when you are towing your vehicle on all 4 wheels.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,

Melissa
Customer Relationship Center 
Ford Motor Company

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·