Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Dropping into Low Gear to slow down

Best Answer Tom_NC_1 , 29 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

My Neighbour has a CMAX Energi as well. He said the dealership told him to drop into low gear when slowing down to a stop light/sign or slowed traffic in order to more efficiently recapture energy.

Wouldn't that be harder on the transmission??

(Note: I am not meaning dropping it at 30 miles an hour to slow it down from that speed but around 10-12 mph

Dropping to L is a signal to the computer to increase regen and this will slow the car very efficiently. You can go to L at any speed without any adverse effects on the transmission. Shifting to L does not shift to a different gear like it would in a conventional transmission.

If using the brakes instead of shifting to L, you have to be careful not press the brake peddle to hard or the actual brake pads engage to slow down rather than just regen. Using L ensures that only regen is used to slow down. 

The downside to relying on shifting to L to slow down is that it an cause the engine to come on if the HVB is still full because there is no place to store regen energy. A second byproduct of using L at higher speeds is that the high current flow back to can cause quicker heat build up in the HVB. Excess heat buildup in the HVB in hot climates can contribute to loss of capacity in the HVB. 

Tom

Go to the full post