Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Use of GFI outlet for charging

charging level 1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jpf44736

jpf44736

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationnew england
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

Does anyone know if it's recommended to use a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) outlet  for a home, level 1 charger? The outlet is inside a garage but the car is outside while charging. It seems like a good idea to use a GFI for safety but they sometimes trigger on a transient and that would shut off the charge current very quickly which may not be good for the external/internal charger.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

As far as I know, a GFI is a good idea for any outlet that is outside or otherwise potentially exposed to water.

However, I believe the EVSE(charger) is itself a GFI and that should be the only part that would get wet from what you're describing...

Personally, my garage isn't on a GFI and whenever I charge the car outside the garage, it's just the connector and cable  of the EVSE that is outside, so any potential issues(which there shouldn't be anyway) would all be on the EVSE side of things and the EVSE itself is inside the garage.

But plenty of people plug their EVSE's into GFI outlets all the time(since that's what most outdoor outlets are these days) and I've not heard of troubles.  Seems like the only issue most run into are broken EVSE's or pulling too much amperage from outlets...

• jpf44736 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

You shouldn't have a problem with a GFCI and they're actually required by code in the garage in most areas anyway. LIke Levi said the EVSE itself probably has a ground fault interrupter builtin. Just get a good one. The Leviton brand has a good reputation and is sold at Home Depot. That's what I use. I never have a problem with them nuisance tripping.   

#4 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:16 AM

I have a GFI on mine, and it did pop off once, last year.  I don't recall any actual cause that I could blame it on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charging, level 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·