Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Charging or Gas?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBelle River
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

So I am wondering if it is worth it to actually charge during peak times vs using gas. I believe it would still be cheaper to charge and drive than use the gas, but perhaps someone here could figure that out

Highest price per kilowatt hour is 15.8 cents. + 3 cents for delivery per kilowatt ..Price per gas here is right now $1,12 per liter = $4.23 per gallon

If I can go 19 miles per charge then it works out that it is costing me $1.50 to travel 19 miles

Gas assuming 45 mpg would cost me $1.78 in gas to travel same distance

does that seem like right math to you people?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

Yep, it looks like you did the math right. I'd say it's slightly cheaper to charge. 

#3 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

None of us are getting rich by using electric. To me it's not really the point. Does it make financial sense to drive one of these cars? No, not really ever in the personal picture. It's just a first step to better, cleaner technology.

#4 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelle River

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

None of us are getting rich by using electric. To me it's not really the point. Does it make financial sense to drive one of these cars? No, not really ever in the personal picture. It's just a first step to better, cleaner technology.

I spent $675 on gas for the month of March for our one vehicle (before buying the CMAX). Since we got the CMAX (Friday) we have drove about 600kms (approx 360 miles) and used just over 1/4 tank of gas. (only reason we have used that much gas was because my wife decided to visit her mother an hour away today and didnt take the charger with her :D )

If I use 1 tank of gas every two weeks (which it seems I am on target for) I will spend about $120 on gas per month, so for me it is a considerable savings to what I was spending. Of course  the charging costs will be about $1 per day so $30 per month. Total cost $150.. total savings $525 

Not getting rich, but definitely saving $$$

Edited by regnaston, 25 April 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

Not only that, the convenience of never having to go to the gas station when driven in town. The whole C-Max body style is pretty cool as well. This car has as much room inside as my old Cadillac did. Seats aren't as comfortable though. :wink:

By the way, does the 2017 make a sound when in electric? I thought there was a requirement for the new ones to not be totally silent.

Edited by sporkinum, 25 April 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelle River

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

Not only that, the convenience of never having to go to the gas station when driven in town. The whole C-Max body style is pretty cool as well. This car has as much room inside as my old Cadillac did. Seats aren't as comfortable though. :wink:

By the way, does the 2017 make a sound when in electric? I thought there was a requirement for the new ones to not be totally silent.

It hums.. not loud but noticeable from the outside. When on the inside I hear nothing :D

#7 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

I spent $675 on gas for the month of March for our one vehicle (before buying the CMAX). Since we got the CMAX (Friday) we have drove about 600kms (approx 360 miles) and used just over 1/4 tank of gas. (only reason we have used that much gas was because my wife decided to visit her mother an hour away today and didnt take the charger with her :D )

If I use 1 tank of gas every two weeks (which it seems I am on target for) I will spend about $120 on gas per month, so for me it is a considerable savings to what I was spending. Of course  the charging costs will be about $1 per day so $30 per month. Total cost $150.. total savings $525 

Not getting rich, but definitely saving $$$

Not really applicable without further info. You could have bought a non plug in Prius and saved a ton if your previous car didn't do nearly as well mpg. You aren't going to save enough with current prices over plugging in versus not plugging in. You do it because it's a bit cleaner.

#8 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelle River

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

Not really applicable without further info. You could have bought a non plug in Prius and saved a ton if your previous car didn't do nearly as well mpg. You aren't going to save enough with current prices over plugging in versus not plugging in. You do it because it's a bit cleaner.

My other vehicle is a 2000 Ford Ranger. 

Not great on gas.. and yes buy any new vehicle would have improved the expenses but it would not have saved me $500 per month. I honestly dont care that it is cleaner.. I am all about the savings. I know that may be sacrilege to many of you, but it is the reason I bought plugin hybrid, the government grant made the vehicle affordable and then add the electric distance, which gets us where we need to go most of the time, That means I save $$$

My schedule is flexible so I can sit at a free quick charge station and work in the car while charging, so this really works for me

#9 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

We don't have peak/off peak rates here. At last check ours run around .07/kwh. Gas also averages about $2/gal these days. Also traded in from a 2007 Focus which topped out at 25mpg when I had it. Don't have all my original numbers but at last check I was seeing about 1/4 the equivalent cost in electricity vs gas.

We also have an app and box by our electric provider, AEP Ohio, that will track usage in real time and estimates the final monthly bill cost. Got my Cmax end of March and based on April's usage so far with a full charge every night I'm not seeing a huge bump so far.
  • regnaston likes this

#10 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

I save money by charging. My electric rate is $0.06/kwh 8 months out of the year.

#11 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelle River

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

Our rates vary by time of day 

Lowest is 7.7 cents

Mid is 11.3 cents

Peak is 15.7cents

Plus you need to add about 3 cents of these rates to factor in delivery

Considering Gas prices here in Windsor, Ontario are 1.11 per liter charging is cheaper even on peak.. I would imagine that if the price of gas dropped below a dollar, peak would not be viable.

#12 OFFLINE   jpf44736

jpf44736

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationnew england
  • Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:57 AM

I replaced a 14 year old Honda Accord with a C-MAX. The Honda did well on the highway at about 33 MPG but in town where I do 90% of my driving I would get only 23 MPG. At  current gas prices of about 2.40 it cost about $.10 per mile. With the C-Max I get about 3.0 Miles per KWH for which I pay $ .20 per KWH  giving me about  $.07/mile. So I save $.03/mile with the C-MAX while driving in electric mode in town/City. At about 6000 city miles per year this saves me $180. Not a lot but then I'm not stinking up the air in my town. I thought about buying a chevy Sonic for about the same price as the CMAX for town use but the Sonic is rated only 19 MPG city, is a cramped 4-seater with less luggage capacity and  an overall cheap feel to it.

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

If you drive the Cmax efficiently you should be able to get 6 miles per kwh not 3.  Just saying...

Check this post, there is a picture of my range when fully charged:

http://fordcmaxenerg...at-gas-mileage/

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

If you drive the Cmax efficiently you should be able to get 6 miles per kwh not 3.  Just saying...

-=>Raja.

That depends entirely on your environment.

I pull out of my driveway and head up my hill at less than 30mph and I still use almost .5KWH in the first 1/4 mile of my drive on my way to work.  But then I can end up covering about 13.5 miles at 45-55mph speeds most of the way and use 2.5KWh total.

I can also go to another nearby town and go about 6 miles and use only  a few tenths of a KWH...

So, sure if you live in flat country and don't have to worry about traffic then yeah, you can easily pull 6 miles per KWH, but not if you are going to do hills, speed or heat.

#15 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

My other vehicle is a 2000 Ford Ranger. 

Not great on gas.. and yes buy any new vehicle would have improved the expenses but it would not have saved me $500 per month. I honestly dont care that it is cleaner.. I am all about the savings. I know that may be sacrilege to many of you, but it is the reason I bought plugin hybrid, the government grant made the vehicle affordable and then add the electric distance, which gets us where we need to go most of the time, That means I save $$$

My schedule is flexible so I can sit at a free quick charge station and work in the car while charging, so this really works for me

I'm somewhat similar on this...  I do care if it's cleaner, but I'm more about efficiency which coincides with the cost savings.

The best car i ever had on that front was an old Mercedes Greasecar.  That one literally paid for itself, but many hours and gunkiness were spent picking up 5 gallon jugs of used fryer oil, filtering, pumping, etc.

It's also part of the reason I'm still having mixed feeling with this C-Max.  I'm torn in one direction because I'd rather be in a Toyota for reliability and the Prius beats the C-Max hands down for efficiency for gas/distance driving, despite what some would like to believe.

On the other(and the way I'm more currently leaning), I can't make my round trip commute with electric with the C-Max, so I'm more leaning towards a Volt.  I feel like I'm fairly close to trading if it weren't for all of the added fees....  I'm sure I wouldn't get $13K for my loaded Max that I paid over a year ago.  Then all the tax on the Volt, the winter tires/wheels and hitch...

Think I'm gonna have to find a used Volt for sale nearby and check it out more.

And now I've looked into the i3-Rex...  That's quite promising as well, if not a bit more complicated(basically needing to stop for a gallon and a half of gas every 60 miles) for longer/faster trips...

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

Levi, don't be silly, I'm not talking climbing hills.  Everything takes more energy to climb, even the gas motor will get less than 20mpg climbing.  Going down a mountain you can go 30 miles downhill and use 0 kwh, so yes, hills are excluded.

If you are driving around city streets with the occasional inclines and declines, you can net 30 miles per charge.   Many people don't net that because of the way they drive, not because of hills.  For starters, your coach bars need to be all full blue, if they are not you're not in the game.

-=>Raja.

#17 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:01 AM

If you are driving around city streets with the occasional inclines and declines, you can net 30 miles per charge.   Many people don't net that because of the way they drive, not because of hills.  For starters, your coach bars need to be all full blue, if they are not you're not in the game.

-=>Raja.

I just drove the Raja Method, from a fully charged battery, and I got 24.5 miles.

I have never been able to eek out 30.  I think the best ever was 28.

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

How many KWH out did you get?  Maybe its due to the HVB losing capacity?  Remember that original capacity is 5.5kwh, so 30 miles is much easier to get with a new battery than a worn down one.

-=>Raja.

#19 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

On three trips, total of 4.2kWh.

#20 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

OK in that case then you could have reached 30 miles easy if you had 5.5kwh available to you.

24.5 miles / 4.2 kwh = 5.83 miles per kwh

5.5 kwh * 5.83 = 32 miles!

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·