Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

240 volt Level 2 Charger options

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBelle River
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Saw this on Amazon.ca 

https://www.amazon.c...level 2 charger

great price for a Level 2 charger. Anyone have any opinions on the make?

In Ontario where I live it is NOT on the list off approved chargers that I could get 50% back (max of $500 back) on but at that price I would still be paying more for an approved one  than the price of this charger

FYI here is the list of eligible chargers.. I have not checked the price of each one, but the random ones I have are all around $800+

http://www.mto.gov.o...-stations.shtml

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,163 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Never heard of them.  That's a great price but so-so warranty @ only 1yr.  ClipperCreek offers triple that amount.

#3 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 349 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:07 AM

From that list, I would give serious consideration to the Sun Country Highway models as they are the Canadian seller (at a healthy markup  :( ) of the excellent Clipper Creek units.  The SCH20 would be a great match to the C-Max Energi.  The SCH25P would be good if you want something that is portable and plugs in, rather than being hardwired.

#4 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelle River

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

I found someone selling this within a couple hours from me.. not sure of the age of the unit though .. they want $325 Canadian for it.. do you guys think it is worth it?

Clipper Creek 
LCS-20 Model 

Absolutely nothing wrong. I have sold the Volt so need for charger. 

I'm including all associated wiring for installation. 
2 electrical boxes 
20 amp 240 Volt Siemens breaker 

Paid just over 1200 Installed.

edit: It is less than 2 years old.. he has it unhooked though, so he cant show it to me working. Anyone know if I can test it with a multimeter? 

Edited by regnaston, 25 April 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:21 AM

If you have access to a 20A or higher, 240V outlet, you could temporarily install a plug on the supply lines of the unit to test it. 

Since it is a Clipper Creek unit, I expect it will work flawlessly, and if there were an issue, I expect that Clipper Creek would make it right.

The breaker and boxes would only be of value if they happened to match what you needed for your installation.

#6 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 176 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

I bought the JuiceBox last year, and love it. (Here's the current version of the product on Amazon.com.) {Jonathan}

#7 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

I bought the JuiceBox last year, and love it. (Here's the current version of the product on Amazon.com.) {Jonathan}

A 40A juicebox for 550 is a pretty good deal, but for only 50 more, the Pro has some really nice features.

https://www.emotorwe...oducts/juicebox

#8 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelle River

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

If you have access to a 20A or higher, 240V outlet, you could temporarily install a plug on the supply lines of the unit to test it. 

Since it is a Clipper Creek unit, I expect it will work flawlessly, and if there were an issue, I expect that Clipper Creek would make it right.

The breaker and boxes would only be of value if they happened to match what you needed for your installation.

It is in Ontario so the standards for the breaker and boxes would work at my house. 

Worst case scenario, I have a 240 volt breaker in my pool shed that is no longer in use as the electric pool heater broke last winter and I never replaced it (Not sure why the previous owner decided an electric heater was a good idea.. way too expensive to heat that way)

#9 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelle River

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

Bought the Used LCS-20 Clipper Creek unit yesterday. Installed today, working great

#10 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelle River

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Also is it cheaper to charge using 240v connection? I wouldnt think it would be since it uses the same amount of Watts

#11 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

Also is it cheaper to charge using 240v connection? I wouldnt think it would be since it uses the same amount of Watts

Charging at 240 volts is more efficient.  Some have posted 70 to 75 %  on 120 v and 80% on 240.

#12 OFFLINE   Blueshapti

Blueshapti

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWarren, MI
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the charger built into the cars. These are cables with proper connectors at both ends, wires of sufficient gauge to carry the amperage and a transformer. As such I think we are being gauged severely.

#13 OFFLINE   Blueshapti

Blueshapti

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWarren, MI
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

As for cost you pay per Kw hour. Speed of delivery of the Kw does not affect price, at least on the electrical grid I am on.. if the HVB needs 5 Kw to fill you pay for five Kw whether you pump it in at 12 amps or 20 amps.

#14 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

The charging process is not 100% efficient.  There is more loss charging at 120 v than at 240.

To put 5KWH into the car with the 120v charging unit I have measured about 7 KWH out of the wall.  That is about 70% efficiency.  Many others have posted similar.

Still others have reported closer to 80% efficiency charging at 240 volts.

For what it's worth, another advantage of 240 v is that when the car is plugged in at 240 there is enough power to satisfactorily pre-heat the cabin on electric.  There really is not enough power for this at 120 v.

Edited by Smiling Jack, 29 April 2017 - 03:01 PM.

• bdginmo likes this

#15 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:53 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the charger built into the cars. These are cables with proper connectors at both ends, wires of sufficient gauge to carry the amperage and a transformer. As such I think we are being gauged severely.

Yes the "charger" is built into the car.  The unit that we use to connect to the grid is most properly called an EVSE.  It consists of a bit more that just a hunk of electrical cable with the proper connectors at both ends. The J1772 standard specifies that the connector that plugs into the car not be energized until the the EVSE has recognized that the car is plugged in and they proper "handshake" between the car and the EVSE has occurred.  This handshake consists of the EVSE "offering" an amount of current based on the capabilities of the EVSE (and in some cases EVSE settings.) The car uses that information to determine how much current to draw and "requests" that the power be turned on so that charging can begin. The J1772 spec also requires that the EVSE contain GFCI protection.  The EVSE does not raise or lower the voltage, that is done in the charger which is in the car.

The difference in efficiency between 120V and 240V is related to less losses since the voltage step-up is smaller and less "overhead" losses due to the shorter charging time.

• cr08 likes this

#16 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

As for cost you pay per Kw hour. Speed of delivery of the Kw does not affect price, at least on the electrical grid I am on.. if the HVB needs 5 Kw to fill you pay for five Kw whether you pump it in at 12 amps or 20 amps.

Yep, this is true for pretty much all residential metering. In other words, residential rates do not usually include a peak metering component. If they did then doing L2 charging might increase your peak and thus the final price you pay. It's usually only larger industrial customers that have to worry about their peaks.

Edited by bdginmo, 01 May 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

The charging process is not 100% efficient.  There is more loss charging at 120 v than at 240.

To put 5KWH into the car with the 120v charging unit I have measured about 7 KWH out of the wall.  That is about 70% efficiency.  Many others have posted similar.

Still others have reported closer to 80% efficiency charging at 240 volts.

For what it's worth, another advantage of 240 v is that when the car is plugged in at 240 there is enough power to satisfactorily pre-heat the cabin on electric.  There really is not enough power for this at 120 v.

Just to elaborate a litlle further on this:

In order to put 5 KWH into the car's battery on 120 v at 70% efficiency, you have to draw about 7.14 KWH out of the wall, and pay for the 7.14 KWH to get 5.

To put 5 KWH into the car's battery on 240 v at 80% efficiency, you would need to draw 6.25 KWH form the wall and pay for only 6.25 KWH to get 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·