Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Optional tire sizes from stock

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AKTroy

AKTroy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAlaska
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Subaru Outback

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

Hi folks:

I'm up here in Alaska and would like to put a set of Blizzaks on the C-max, but they are about $165 each plus shipping, mounting and balancing. Yikes!. I actually think I would get better performance with something narrower and taller in the winter. I'm just curious what optional tire sizes are available in about the same diameter that would  fit the stock wheels.

A slightly taller tire would probably be okay assuming there's clearance, although I do realize it would probably throw the speedometer off.

Thanks!

Troy

Edited by AKTroy, 14 April 2017 - 11:14 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   AKTroy

AKTroy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

I'm going to respond to my own post here after doing a quick search on google. Still would love to hear from other people and their experiences. It appears that the to 225/55R/17 is a tad narrower. I think 8 inches versus 8.9 inches. I would think that a slightly narrower tire would provide better traction in the winter, although maybe less stability in the summer and greater tire wear. Still looking for suggestions to bring the price down a little bit on a set of good snow tires. The difference in price between the stock and 55R version is almost $40 a tire.

Troy

Edited by AKTroy, 14 April 2017 - 11:36 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 541 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:18 PM

225/55R17 is the same width, but a tad taller.  I would not put this tire on.  There is very little room for snow chains/traction cables as it is.  If you end up needing them, they may not fit.  Go and look, or if you can't really see as the room is cramped, put your fingers in to feel the space between the back side of the front tires and the flat area of the strut.  There is very little room...

#4 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 541 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

www.tires.com has this list of possible tire sizes in Plus 0.  I am not sure of the stock rim width, but it warns:

"Keep in mind, choosing one of these tire options may require that you purchase a new set of wheels."

#5 OFFLINE   AKTroy

AKTroy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

I am kind of sold on the Blizzaks, so do you just recommend keeping the same size? I could possibly go to some steel rims and a 16 inch tire too. I have a feeling a 16 inch tire in general is going to be quite a bit cheaper. Just trying to get around the $165 per tire, plus another $240 in shipping, plus mounting and balancing. That's a whole lot of money for a set of tires! I can tell you that the Blizzak tires are like no other tire I've ever used on snow and ice. Fantastic performance

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:50 AM

The Cmax is not a good car for snow.  Don't be driving it in deep snow trying to plow through stuff, you will damage the grill louvers that open and close automatically to keep the engine warm.  Also it has very little ground clearance. about 5.5 inches so keep that in mind and with any snow the wheel wells fill up with snow to surround the wheels, not the best for the elements in my opinion.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 541 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:19 PM

That is a lot of money!  I don't have experience in snow with my wife's C-MAX.  I bought a Thule traction device, now discontinued it seems, and SCC chains for a trip to Sequoia, and not one twinkle of snow.

As to whether a C-MAX performs well in the white stuff...

http://fordcmaxhybri...s-ca/?hl=chains

I do have a grandma/grand aunt who lives in Ketchikan, not sure what's the correct term.  (I just call her grandma).  That is a milder part though it seems....

On a budget I'd get the SCC chains as referenced in the thread.  If you really need to change tires then maybe your idea of a 16" swap would be simpler than dismount/mount every change of snow season.  I did notice that the steel wheels are on sale at www.tirerack.com for $40 each, Blizzaks are $123.45 each, but unless you are willing to live with a tire pressure monitor error message you'd also want TPMS sensors, which add $168 to the bill!  I'm not sure about activating the sensors with the car, and I have no idea about shipping...

#8 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

I have narrower, 215/60R16 Blizzaks on 16" steel wheels that are roughly the same OD as the OEM tires.  The narrower tires didn't pack the wheelwells with snow this winter like me stock tires did last winter. 

If I thought needed to run chains, I'd want narrower tires and the lowest profile cable chains I could find.  Before I found a good deal on the Blizzaks used, I was thinking of buying the Pirelli Sottozero 3s in 205/50R17.  These are both narrower and slightly smaller to leave more room for cable chains without tearing things up in the wheelwells.

#9 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

See: http://fordcmaxenerg...-16-snow-tires/

I got a cheap used set of alloy Taurus 16" wheels with 205/60-16 snow tires.

I agree, Blizzaks are about the best, but I think most anything that's a "real" snow tire with the mountain symbol will be worlds better than most all seasons.  For my purposes my all seasons with like half tread can't make it up the hill that I live on.  The snows make it doable.  Though there were a couple really nasty days where I spun enough to overheat the traction control system.  At least I assume that's what happened.  I engaged the gas engine, turned off traction control, then it would spin and slowly go up the hill above my driveway. But after a couple minutes of that the dash lit up with "Service Advance-Trac", but I cleared the top and the lights went off within the next minute downhill.

I think the C-Max is as decent as any car in the snow.  I'd rate it a touch above the Prius just because you can disable the traction control without having to do AS MUCH of a chicken dance...  But yeah, if there's more than 6" of snow on the roads, you're likely going to have problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·