Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Help with decision on buying a used C-max energi

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AKTroy

AKTroy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAlaska
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Subaru Outback

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

Hello folks:

This is my first post here.  I originally test drove a C-max a few years ago, and really loved the ride, but at nearly $30,000 it was over the top for me. More recently  two used C-max vehicles showed up. One a standard hybrid, and the other an energi model. Both 2013 models. The energi model is loaded. Sunroof, auto start, liftgate option, navigation, leather, parking assist,  fog lights, etc. I think that particular model when new was about $38,000. Dealer is asking 14K, and will take 13,600. 29,000 miles. Clean as a whistle.  The other is the standard hybrid, and has about the same mileage, and is about the same price. Has a few more nicks and scratches, no extras, other than leather seats.

It would seem the energi model would be the choice to make, but I'm not sure how practical they are in an extreme cold. I'm located way up in Alaska. There are tons of Toyota prius hybrids here. I think I passed four of them today in about an hour, but I think I've seen about one c-max in the past year.

When I started searching for for C-max customer complaints, I brought up quite a few! I'm not sure if these are just isolated events or if the c-max was really not ready for prime time.

I read lots of complaints about a bad starter battery. What is the cause of this? it seems like some people went through five or six batteries.

One guy said his power steering went out, something along the lines of $1800 to fix--ouch. Then there were quite a few wrench icon complaints.

Lots of miscellaneous problems with the sync and navigation system. From what I understand the first generation was quite slow, and voice-recognition clumsy or otherwise slow to respond.

So, I would like some feedback from members. What kind of problems have you experienced? Do you consider these vehicles dependable and reliable? I've owned a Subaru outback for the last 10 years, and those things are pretty much bulletproof. Well, certain years did have head gasket issues, but I think there are more Subaru's per capita than any place in the world here in Alaska.

So, just wondering if going in the hybrid direction is wise or not. I would be planning to put some blizzack tires all the way around to deal with the snow, but mostly I drive in town, and roads are generally well-maintained. Occasionally I do have to plow through eight or 10 inches of snow, but that's maybe a few times a year.

What do you guys think? is it wise to buy a hybrid in these kind of conditions? As I said there certainly are plenty of Toyotas here, and they seem to do fine.

I just don't want to get stuck with the vehicle that requires a ton of maintenance.

Lastly, what do you folks thinks about aftermarket warranties? The dealer mentioned a bumper to bumper warranty for about  $1700 3yr, and I think a four year was about $100 or $200 more. 

I think the local Ford dealership wanted several thousand, if not more for an extended warranty. I would much rather buy through the car dealer (not Ford) and include with the loan, as opposed to the purchasing separately that comes out of pocket.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Troy

Edited by AKTroy, 12 April 2017 - 06:44 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 456 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:35 PM

You don't really want to finance the warranty with the car, there are several Ford Dealers online that will sell you the extended warranty.  Pay for it with a credit card offer of no interest for 12-18 months, or at least one that will give you 50-100K points for the purchase.

I have a 2013 and had one issue with the HVB (High Voltage Battery) controller, otherwise the car has been problem free.  In the cold below zero no battery be it hybrid or Energi is going to function well you can preheat the car while it is plugged in to get it warmed up as well as doing remote start.  Many issues come from people that don't run the engine much and that causes the battery to go dead and results in a no start.  I have 42k miles on mine in the winter I just run the engine so I can get heat my mileage drops from 60 to about 58 MPG.  

#3 OFFLINE   AKTroy

AKTroy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAlaska
  • Current Vehicle:Subaru Outback

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

Thank you for the response. I will check into the online option for warranties. How much did the high-voltage battery controller set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Do you know anything about this starter battery issue that everyone seems to be talking about? I have yet to read what the cause of that issue is. It would appear some people have the issue and others have absolutely no issue. The ones that do have the issue can go through several batteries. One guy I think went through six, so that's pretty significant.

I live in a very cold climate in the idea of dead batteries is certainly not appealing. Sounds like it's wise to be carrying around a portable charger with these vehicles.

I'm not sure if there is less or more overall problems with the energi model vs the standard hybrid. Any difference in build quality or design that is significant here?

#4 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 456 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:04 AM

The reason the starter battery dies is that they do not run the IC engine so it does not get charged.  My HVB controller was covered under warranty and Ford provided me with an Escape for a loaner, cost was about 1500.00 on the paperwork that I saw.

Biggest difference is that the Energi has a little less space in the hatch area since the battery is bigger.  The bigger battery means more weight on the rear wheels which would/could mean better stopping on snow/ice if you have decent tires since many cars nowadays are very light in the rear the rear brakes don't really do much.

#5 OFFLINE   Matt Bonnett

Matt Bonnett

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:25 AM

The reason the starter battery dies is that they do not run the IC engine so it does not get charged.  My HVB controller was covered under warranty and Ford provided me with an Escape for a loaner, cost was about 1500.00 on the paperwork that I saw.

Biggest difference is that the Energi has a little less space in the hatch area since the battery is bigger.  The bigger battery means more weight on the rear wheels which would/could mean better stopping on snow/ice if you have decent tires since many cars nowadays are very light in the rear the rear brakes don't really do much.

Sorry. That is just not true. The 12V battery gets charged any time the vehicle is running even in EV mode. Gets charged off the HVB. It is also charged while the car is plugged in and charging the HVB.

I'm not sure the exact reasoning behind the 12V bat issues myself but I think one of the possible causes brought up was the TCU misbehaving. If you keep up on the recalls and get the updated modem then that possible cause should be sorted out.

I've got a '13 model, build date 6/13, and so far haven't had any 12V issues. Granted I have mine plugged in every night. I'm heading out of town this weekend though and likely won't be able to charge so will have a good chance to check.

The other thing to keep in mind is with this car it is all about the software updates to the various modules. Could be a particular bug that they have since resolved in software. I do know based on previous reading there was an update to the DC/DC module at some point which changed the 12V bat charging characteristics.

#6 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

First let me say this, that the Energi over the Hybrid any day hands down.

Second, don't forget that all the problems you hear about are most of the problems, in other words, all those people with 12v battery issues are mostly all of them, there are thousands more out there without issues and they never post about it.

Mine is a 2013 built in 6/13 also, and no battery issues whatsoever still on the original 12v battery, I got 67k miles and I'm netting 69.4mpg lifetime with the car due to the HVB adding to my performance.

If you get the hybrid you have to start the engine every time.  If you get the Energi you can do alot of trips without starting the engine.    And if you go on a long trip you can select 30 miles out of that trip to use the HVB and skip the engine, so on a 500 mile road trip you can still net 48mpg with the use of 1 charge from the HVB, get another charge and you bump that number up a few mpg more.  I tend to stop somewhere where I can recharge on a long trip while having lunch or dinner to get 1 extra full charge for my road trip.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Remember, much of the expensive stuff is still under warranty. Before buying the Energi have them fully charge it, take it for a drive to run it out of charge and see how much Kwh you register. If anywhere near 5 you are probably still good. 

I had a problem with my regular battery. I quit suing the "smart" lock feature and it went away. Coincidence? I don't know. You probably aren't going to get far in the very cold winters of Alaska on a charge but at the same price? Why not go with the Energi? 

With the modem upgrade (recall) my Sync and Nav all seem to work just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·