Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Radio quit. Any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

It could be tested, when there is a will there is a way.

Plug it in and charge it up, leave the hood open so you can access the battery terminals for jumping.  

Once full put a load on the battery so it starts dropping, and then see if the charger kicks in or not.

However, I still like my idea better, open the hood and connect a jump to the battery with another bigger battery.  Then you can leave the HVB sit at 20% instead of 100 and with my 100 amp deep cycle battery the 12v battery is now alot "bigger" and will last a month with no problems at all.

-=>Raja.

Why not just leave a battery tender on the 12V ?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

You could do that too, I didn't because I have a deep cycle battery and this way nothing is plugged in while we're gone, though I wouldn't worry about that as much really.  I had the battery, works, so why not I thought.  

-=>Raja.

#23 ONLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

On the topic of if the 12V battery is maintained while plugged in, I always assumed it was at all times while plugged in even after the HVB was done charging.

Now I came across this detailed OBD operations document a while back that I recall had some details regarding the overall hybrid system operation. Had to actually dig for this one. Going to leave it here and keep a bookmark for the future:

http://www.fordservi...DSM1700_HEV.pdf

The good bits on this topic start around page 145 and the key bits seem to be around the first 2 full paragraphs on page 148:

During high voltage charging the BECM commands the outside air (OSA) duct mode door actuator to open. This

allows outside air to be pulled into the High Voltage Battery pack to cool SOBDM. The BECM monitors the mode
door position and motor circuits and sets a DTC if a fault is detected. The SOBDM monitors its internal temperature
and commands the charger cooling fan speed accordingly to prevent overheating. When high-voltage charging is
complete the BECM charging state HEV HS-CAN message switches from charging to charging complete and
opens the high voltage charge contactors. The SOBDM continues to charge the 12V battery while AC input is
present except when commanded off by the SOBDMC.

During high 12V electrical loads or if the ignition is turned on while the vehicle is plugged in the main DC to DC
Converter Control Module is enabled to charge the 12V battery. If this occurs, the SOBDM disables its low-voltage
support and no longer charges the 12V battery. However, it continues charging the high voltage battery. The
SOBDM shuts down if the PCM no longer requests low-voltage support and the BECM status is charge complete. 

Thought to me it seems the two paragraphs contradict each other on the matter of the LV charging state after HVB charging has finished. I think just doing some direct testing is the best method in this case to verify.

I may have to do some testing later tonight when mine finishes charging and see what I can find.

#24 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

All that is saying is that it charges the 12v battery after the HVB battery is full until it deems itself done.  (in the first paragraph).

The second paragraph says if the car is plugged in and you power it up, it no longer charges the 12v battery.  Of course that's true because when the car is powered on the HVB is charging the 12v battery with the dc to dc converter.  External power is not needed any more to charge the 12v battery, but external power still charges that hvb which is being drained by the system ON status hence slowing down the charging of the HVB if it wasn't full.

I think if I recall correctly you charge 1% every 1 minute and 12 seconds ignition off.  That goes up to 1 minute 36 seconds with ignition on (don't quote me on this), and that's with 240v charging.  120v charging takes 3 minutes 35 seconds per 1% with ignition off.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 22 March 2018 - 05:05 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   TLCTugger

TLCTugger

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

I have had this loss of sound on a number of occasions in my 2013 CMax. When the sound loss occurs it is not just the radio but all tones, beeps, no voice from GPS of voice controls. Makes for a very quite car. I had not had this issue for most of the winter until yesterday. It always seem to occur when I am playing podcasts using bluetooth. The odd thing is that the podcast starts to play then cuts out and all sound is lost. The center display shows connecting indication but does not respond to anything related to entertainment. Can't even power off/on the radio. The other screens can be selected. Each time this loss of sound happens if the car is turned off and left off for a few minutes the sound will return when the car is turn on the next time. I have never had to pull a fuse to correct this problem. This only happens once in a great while even though I use the bluetooth connection most of the time. During this last occurrence I noticed that there were text message notifications coming in although I could not play them due to the lost sound. Since reproducing it is not possible I have no ever been able to have Ford service check it out. 

Tom

This exact thing happened to us today.  We've been in and out of the car a few times and nothing is coming back on its own.  We'll try pulling fuse 79 and maybe 67/69.  

#26 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:18 AM

(This Cmax has SYNC2) In the past when the radio stops working and becomes unresponsive usually would self corrected start working again after the car had been shut off for awhile. I just had another event of the radio failing to work. It had been working ok all winter until now. This time it did not correct itself after being off overnight. I pulled fuse 79 and left it out for about 10 minutes. The radio is now working once again. 

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·