Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/Energi to get Great Gas Mileage

gas mileage mpgs fe

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:51 AM

Well it has taken 5 days to get my average on this tank back up to 58.2 mpg with 282 mi. on tank, although I did use a little A/C yesterday with my Wife in the car.  YouTube video views up to 1944.smile.png

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 11 July 2017 - 07:57 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#82 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:40 AM

We had another trip we made with the Family on a 6 hour drive.  We didn't have enough room in my wife's Traverse, so my mother-in-law took my C-MAX since her Jeep Liberty has 300k on it.  She said she really liked it and was surprised on how much power it had being a hybrid, haha.

She Averaged 40MPG and brought my Average down to 45.5.  And i had just gotten it back up to 46 from my last trip!

• ptjones likes this

#83 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:21 AM

I hate when that happens. LOL :drop: My Wife occasionally drives MADMAX, she is afraid she is going to hurt my MPG's so she is pretty careful so I don't loose much. :smile2:   

Paul

#84 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

The tanks on the trip averaged right around 45. Was able to level 2 charge at overnight spot in Springfield, Mo on way down and way back. In Oklahoma City was able to plug my charger in at the hotel for the whole stay (Hampton Inn), so pretty much all our driving in OKC was electric. Drove from Macomb, Il to Tulsa,OK on 1 tank when gas light came on. Can't complain as it was 95+ degrees and humid most of the time, and speeds were between 70-80 mph for at least half the trip. Only real problem was that AC was working poorly between Tulsa and OKC. I think it was ice buildup on coils from humidity as airflow dropped way down to the point that it was inneffective. Made a noise like a vent hose was loose, and I was thinking we would have no AC until I got to a Ford dealer. Drove with windows down for about half an hour, which I guess melted the ice as the AC worked fine for the rest of the trip.

Overall, a pretty good trip.

#85 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

Yesterday was just another reminder of how using A/C on short trips can hurt your MPG's. Drove into town about 5 mi. with the A/C on, it was 88*F/ 90% humidity and my Wife doesn't do well with those kinds of conditions without A/C on.sad.png  On the trip back to work I noticed I only got 38mpg and my average had dropped from 58.2mpg to 56.5mpg. drop.gif  I think we'll take my Wife's car today.lol2.gif  The total number of views for video's is up to  1862 now.smile.png

Paul

In general I use A/C going uphills and Vent down hill, this way it keeps coils defrosted and I think it helps MPG's with A/C running more efficiently IMO. :smile2: 

Paul 

#86 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Lunch today I went up to Decatur via I-85/I-20, 40 mi. and 8 mi city streets and average 59 MPG's. Speeds were 50 to 80 on FWY. Coming back averaged 60.4 mi. MPG's with OT of 85-90*F. I started the trip with 58.2 mpg average and ended with 58.4 with over 600 mi. on tank. Miles to Empty is 170 mi.smile.png

And YouTube views up to 2060 now.smile.png

Paul

#87 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

It's come to my attention that some CMAX Owners don't know where to look for the YouTube videos, They are in the #1 Post of this thread, I will repost here:

I have made three YouTube Videos for driving a CMAX the way it was designed to be driven, Called "How to drive a CMAX Hybrid to get great gas mileage",Also " CMAX Mods to improve MPG's" and "Hypermiling to improve MPG's".

https://www.youtube...._id=5uHoZ5QhVXs

Efficiency and Aerodynamic Mods:  The First thing to do is to raise your tire pressure of your Michelin's to 50psi which is safe to do and I got 64k miles for each set of tires on my CMAX.  :smile2:https://www.youtube...._id=Xmuw6275PRw

Hypermiling Video not recommended for those who can't focus on situational  awareness of traffic around you all the time. https://www.youtube...._id=s09mywF78g4

Let me know what you think, any improvements.smile.png

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 20 July 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#88 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

One reminder that if you are stopped for any extended period of time, waiting on long signal, train crossing, drive through etc. even though the ICE stops at least shift into Park or better yet turn off car. Remember you are using power from HVB to keep things going which will bring the MPG's down. With a ScanGuageII you can watch it go down.sad.png

YouTube views are up to 2237 nowsmile.png .

Paul

#89 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

A couple of days ago I found another good reason to have wheel covers. I was going through my favorite roundabout  as I was exiting my car slid out and caught the curb with my front wheel and slightly touched the rear wheel. I assumed the worst , but was surprised the wheel covers protected the wheels so their was no damage to wheels. The front tire did get a gash in it from the LEXAN cover breaking, but is still holding air. Front cover was broken, but the rear one wasn't, nylon screw to keep cover from rotating did break off.  I ordered a used tire with the same tread depth to replace the front one. The car seems fine so far. :smile2:  BTW the going price for refurbished wheel is around $200 on eBay.    :drop:

Paul

#90 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

I made 2 new wheel covers and I can feel the car rolling easier(less aero drag) with about 1 mpg improvement in my average on this tank to 57mpg.smile.png‚Äč 

Paul

#91 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

"How to drive a CMAX Hybrid/ FFH to get great gas mileage" YouTube videos views are up to about 2500 now, smile.png  and still going up.

Paul

#92 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

Just bringing this up to the top to push the video count more?  I mean we got it we all read this post already?  :D

-=>Raja.

#93 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Bring it to the top is for New Owners and you can see it is still going up about a hundred a week, I'm hoping it will make a difference on Fuelly.com :smile2:  I noticed 2017 CMAX Hybrid average MPG was about 44mpg. And NRG's are about the same, weird. :headscratch: 2016 CMAX Hybrid are run about 38.5 mpg and NRG's  55 mpg's. These #'s are more along the lines you would expect so the only explanation for this is 2017 CMAX Hybrid Owners are using my YouTube video Info to improve their MPG's and 2016 aren't. :smile2:   

Paul  

#94 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

I've been doing some driving on the interstate for work at about 65MPH and have changed to using the Paul method and it seems to be yielding better results.  The trips seem to be 53.5MPG.  Previously it was 50MPG.  The Section is 10 miles that i've changed from Raj's method to Paul's. (total trip is about 27 miles.)

I've noticed i get about 3 60+ MPG bars on the fuel history where as before i would get 1 60MPG bar, and two 50MPG bars on that stretch (onramp and offramp included)

Edited by Joshg678, 14 August 2017 - 12:01 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#95 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

In a perfect CMAX Hybrid World you need to Accelerate a 2 Bars when you accel and try to EV as much as you can.  Try not to get much above 50% SOC( State Of Charge). :smile2:  Even going uphill I will go into EV if the road levels out for short distance.

Paul 

#96 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

In a perfect CMAX Hybrid World you need to Accelerate a 2 Bars when you accel and try to EV as much as you can.  Try not to get much above 50% SOC( State Of Charge). :smile2:  Even going uphill I will go into EV if the road levels out for short distance.

Paul 

I always do 2 bar max unless i need more excitement in my life.

I've noticed that at 1.5-1.75 bars is the highest rate of charge according to my scan gauge.  Usually its about 35kw vs 21kw.  I'll do this for times when i have longer distance  i know i'll need to travel to get a little extra ev down the road.

I only use the Ice to increase my speed, never to maintain it (unless up a steep hill which happens a lot)

Edited by Joshg678, 14 August 2017 - 12:48 PM.

• ptjones likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas mileage, mpgs, fe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·