Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/Energi to get Great Gas Mileage

gas mileage mpgs fe

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

It takes you 15 - 20 miles to get warmed up?  That sounds excessively long.  My car warms up alot quicker than that on the highway.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

It takes you 15 - 20 miles to get warmed up?  That sounds excessively long.  My car warms up alot quicker than that on the highway.

-=>Raja.

You have to have a digital gauge to see what the actual WT is, Smart Temp Gauge shows the first line is 140deg.F, the middle is 180-216+deg.F., temp gauge doesn't move and 246*F is the top line. About 182*F thermostat starts to open and is fully open at 202*F, in this temp range the WT goes up slowly because it takes awhile to warm up coolant in radiator. :smile2: 

Paul   

#63 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

You have to have a digital gauge to see what the actual WT is, Smart Temp Gauge shows the first line is 140deg.F, the middle is 180-216+deg.F., temp gauge doesn't move and 246*F is the top line. About 182*F thermostat starts to open and is fully open at 202*F, in this temp range the WT goes up slowly because it takes awhile to warm up coolant in radiator. :smile2: 

Paul   

I agree with Paul the car will heat up to some extent but it take sustained highway speed driving to level off around 200ºf. 15  or more miles at highways speed is about right.

Tom

#64 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

I Never get to 200ºf on my 15 mile drive. Usually only ~180ºf

When i go a bit farther to a customer (35mi) i can usually hit 200º but it's with traffic so not much highway.

#65 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

Filled up after our Lighthouse looking trip to VA and got 53.37 mpg with A/C use at 40%. I think when I got back I was 50 mpg at about 10 gal. used, the rest of the tank was driven at slower speeds so tank average ended up 53.37 mpg. The good news was my Fuelly average went up to 47.9 mpg. yahoo.gif  So even with 157k miles, my average keeps going up. smile.png I went to the Quick Trip Station, because they had Ethanol Free for $.02 more than Premium. Unfortunately it is  only 87 Octane and Premium is 93 so at best I would get the same as Premium MPG's and maybe less so I stuck with Premium for this time. I did add a bottle of NOS Octane Booster which cleans the Injectors and adds  2 Octane to the gassmile.png Pretty quick my MPG's went up 3 mpg's to around 59 mpg's from 56 mpg's.

sml_gallery_143_17_52282.jpg
Up to 675 views of my videos now. smile.png

Paul

#66 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:33 AM

With the last few days being 95+ here and my need to be cool, i've noticed how quickly the hybrid battery gets drained when the A/C is cooling down the cabin.  I really need to get my car tinted.  I'm also wondering if i should get vent shades for my windows as well.

Does anyone have a photo with vent shades on a C-MAX?

#67 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

With the last few days being 95+ here and my need to be cool, i've noticed how quickly the hybrid battery gets drained when the A/C is cooling down the cabin.  I really need to get my car tinted.  I'm also wondering if i should get vent shades for my windows as well.

Does anyone have a photo with vent shades on a C-MAX?

I'm assuming your using the cabin recirculating button. :smile2:  I use Sun Shade in front window to keep cabin cooler. I set my temp to 76*F when my wife is in the car. :smile2: 

Paul  

#68 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:20 AM

on my 2016 when i turn on the A/C it forces the Recirculate mode on.  This is while its set to Face.

I've always use recirculate for A/C, so that is a nice feature.  I never use Auto Mode, but i always let it use the auto fan.

I've found my set point is 71-72 while the sun is sitting on me.  74-75 when shaded.  I Don't like the heat, and i always have long pants on for work, wishing i could have gotten cloth with all the other options i have.

• ptjones likes this

#69 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

Just checked My YouTube and I'm upto 1270 views on the three CMAX/FFH  Videos now.  smile.png  Drove into Atlanta and back today on I-85/I-20 about 100mi., averaged 60.5 mpg's, everything is working great at 157k mi. smile.png

Paul

#70 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

Link to green site should help you  :wink:

-=>Raja.

#71 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

Here is the Link: http://www.greencarr...-video-explains  :smile2:

Paul

#72 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

I can't believe it, someone gave me a dislike for my MODs video and no comment, Really! What's not to like, LOLdrop.gif  1448 views now. smile.png

Paul

#73 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

I can't believe it, someone gave me a dislike for my MODs video and no comment, Really! What's not to like, LOLdrop.gif  1448 views now. smile.png

Paul

Was probably a Prius Driver.

• ptjones likes this

#74 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

Was probably a Prius Driver.

LOL right  :lol:  :hysterical:

Paul

#75 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

Just checked and my videos are up to 1700 views now.smile.png Was hoping to see an improvement on Fuelly.com , even with the rain I have managed  59.6 mpg's, down from 60.8mpg with 600 miles on tank.  Could hit 800mi.smile.png​  

Paul

#76 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

Not sure how it works out, but my last trip, 90 miles to my dad's house and back, it logged a total of 46.1 miles of EV. That was with a full battery (23m) when started. I used EV until we got on the highway out of town, used EV later mode driving to his town, and then switched to EV in his town. Same thing on way back except  switched back to EV mode about 8 miles from town when display was showing 10 miles left in battery.

• Tuesday, Jun 27, 2017Completed 9:02 PM

Lene

Energy
    kWh
    Total Amount Used
    EV Miles
    23.5 miles
    Fuel Economy
    55 MPG
    The Brake Score relates to the energy that you recovered and returned to the battery on average over the course of your trip. If you use the on-board brake coach, you can improve your brake score over time.
    Brake Score
    99%
    1.4 miles from Regen!
    A Driving Score takes into account all of the different driving behaviors, including acceleration, braking, and speed.
    Driving Score
  • 100% EV
    Trip: 1.5 milesTuesday, Jun 27, 2017Completed 5:57 PM

Lene

Energy
    kWh
    Total Amount Used
    EV Miles
    1.5 miles
    Fuel Economy
    152.9 MPG
    The Brake Score relates to the energy that you recovered and returned to the battery on average over the course of your trip. If you use the on-board brake coach, you can improve your brake score over time.
    Brake Score
    97%
    0.3 miles from Regen!
    A Driving Score takes into account all of the different driving behaviors, including acceleration, braking, and speed.
    Driving Score
  • 45% EV
    Trip: 45.5 milesTuesday, Jun 27, 2017Completed 5:49 PM

Lene

Energy
    kWh
    Total Amount Used
    EV Miles
    20.6 miles
    Fuel Economy
    50.1 MPG
    Brake Score
    96%
    2.0 miles from Regen!

This last tank of gas is over 700 miles, and according to the display is about half EV and half gas. Still 3 gallons or so left in tank.

Edited by sporkinum, 28 June 2017 - 11:28 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#77 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:45 AM

I filled up today and ended up with actual 58.4mpg( Smart Gauge59.4mpg) 13.5gal., 788.3miles even with rain and bike on back part of the time.  Cleaning my injectors helped a couple mpg it would appear.smile.png

Paul 

#78 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Well, I decided to fill last night, so I was premature on my miles. It was actually 660 miles and 12 gallons. according to the trip meter, 300 miles of EV and 51kwh of energy, which seems way too low. The only thing I can think is that the 51kwh is plug in battery only, and the regen is not counted. Either that or the EV miles are too high. Not sure how they come up with those numbers.

Driving to Oklahoma next Friday, 600 miles 1 way. I'd guess without plugging in it will be around 40-45 mpg.

Edited by sporkinum, 29 June 2017 - 07:44 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#79 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

Well, I decided to fill last night, so I was premature on my miles. It was actually 660 miles and 12 gallons. according to the trip meter, 300 miles of EV and 51kwh of energy, which seems way too low. The only thing I can think is that the 51kwh is plug in battery only, and the regen is not counted. Either that or the EV miles are too high. Not sure how they come up with those numbers.

Driving to Oklahoma next Friday, 600 miles 1 way. I'd guess without plugging in it will be around 40-45 mpg.

The kWh number is only from the plugin power added. Regen miles adds and subtract to the kWh total during driving but in the end but doesn't  increase the to the total since those kilowatt since charging and using cancels itself out.

I have been doing a lot of blended EV and EV later drives lately and limiting charging to no more than once per day due to high summer temperatures so the 43.4 kWh used is much lower than usual and the last tank was 642 miles. (See attached photo) Only 10.74 gal of gas used because fuel stops have been when convenient rather than waiting to get a low fuel warning. 

I have done a number of long trips and agree that 40-45 mpg should be doable. 

Tom

Attached Files

• ptjones likes this

#80 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

Yesterday was just another reminder of how using A/C on short trips can hurt your MPG's. Drove into town about 5 mi. with the A/C on, it was 88*F/ 90% humidity and my Wife doesn't do well with those kinds of conditions without A/C on.sad.png  On the trip back to work I noticed I only got 38mpg and my average had dropped from 58.2mpg to 56.5mpg. drop.gif  I think we'll take my Wife's car today.lol2.gif  The total number of views for video's is up to  1862 now.smile.png

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas mileage, mpgs, fe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·