Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/Energi to get Great Gas Mileage

gas mileage mpgs fe

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

Hi Paul, 

Not on fuelly, too many things to keep track of, but here is my range when I filled up the tank (see pictures below).

2nd picture after I recharged the battery having driven 72 miles since fillup burning about a gallon of fuel.

The range tells your RAFE, which is just over 50 for me for city driving on the ICE.

When I let the ICE run continuously on the highway, it drops some filling the tank while on the way to FL I've seen a range of 632 miles, posted it here as well some time ago.  Its about 45.1 mpg at 66mph vs 50.6 in the city.

-=>Raja.

Great! :smile2:  I'm still wondering how close your Smart Gauge Trip Gauge is to actual gallons used/ MPG's.  My odometer is off by 1.85% so I multiply 1.018% x trip mileage divide by actual gallons used.  Actual mpg's is usually -1 to -1.5 mpg's less. :( Interesting on my record runs MPG's was better than trip gauge. :smile2:

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

Today I took off wheel covers and rear fender covers so I could check tire pressure and spray off car and wheels. Tires where 50 psi on cool side of car, Great, and 52 psi on hot side of car, what I would expect. smile.png  I did some running around for about 20 miles including spray off car at car wash. I could actually tell a difference in gas mileage to the tune of 1 1/2 to 2 mpg with covers off. I'm cleaning them off and reattaching and will see if my mpg's bounce back.  headscratch.gif

Paul

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

I put the wheel and fender covers back on and got my mileage back! YA :smile2:  It looks like it's worth 2 mpg. :smile2:

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 26 April 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

My trip from Northern Va to Nashville I only got 38MPG round trip. This was going 75-80MPH through all the mountains on i64,i81,i40, two adults, baby, and a packed trunk.
Both directions I had been driving though rain too.
Had my grill covers off too because I've lost the big one twice and got it back, wasn't ready to loose it a 3rd time far away.

#25 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:51 AM

My trip from Northern Va to Nashville I only got 38MPG round trip. This was going 75-80MPH through all the mountains on i64,i81,i40, two adults, baby, and a packed trunk.
Both directions I had been driving though rain too.
Had my grill covers off too because I've lost the big one twice and got it back, wasn't ready to loose it a 3rd time far away.

Apparently the license plate is a problem, I would get some stainless sheet metal  screws to permanently install Grill Cover on and then forget about. You still take it off to clean if you needed too. :smile2:

Paul  

#26 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

I'm still not sure what I want to do. One of my worrys is the state giving me a ticket for front license plate not being properly mounted.
Funny though the first time I lost it I drove past a cop twice and he didn't even notice.

#27 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

I don't see how they could give you a ticket as long as it's there. I don't have one and they can't give me a ticket because my state doesn't require one. :smile2: A lot of states only give one license plate, cheaper I think. 

Paul

#28 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

State of Virginia requires a front plate and for it to be displayed properly. Not sure if "properly" is up for interpretation or if it's spelled out as "oem"

Edited by Joshg678, 30 April 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

I think it's a good time to explain how to improve the efficiency/MPG's of CMAX/Fusion Hybrids again..

1. All the energy to move the car comes from burning gasoline in the ICE, so to start with the more efficient the ICE is, the better the gas mileage is going to be.

2. From FORD we know that the approx. operating temperature range of the ICE is 202*F to 212*F, I typically run between 215*F to 230*F with no negative effects. My last oil change I got my best BlackStone Lab numbers with 153k miles. smile.png

3. The CMAX/Fusion Hybrid being unable to get up to operating temps is the main cause of poor MPG's especially in City and cold weather driving. sad.png This is why Grill Covers are so important to Gas Mileage, getting the WT to come up faster staying  above 202*F and should be standard on all CMAX/Fusion Hybrid vehicles. IMO     Also Grill Covers improve HWY MPG's up to 2 mpg by cutting down aerodynamic drag

4. From our 4.5 yrs of testing, 2 Bars acceleration seems to get the best gas mileage so use it whenever possible. smile.png And again the procedure is accelerating at 2 Bars to 5 mph over desired speed and then let off the accelerator so ICE will shut off and EV Mode will engage. Then try to maintain speed in EV until ICE kicks in again and repeat by accelerate at 2 Bars to 5 mph over speed limit.  shift.gif

BTW  I'm upto 361 views on my YouTube videos. :smile2:

Paul

#30 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBelle River
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

I personally think the grill covers look a bit tacky, but I understand the premise of using them to increase temp of the ICE. When I had an 92 Toyota Tercel I had to put cardboard in front of my radiator in order to get the temperature up so that the cabin would warm up in -10 Celsius and colder temperatures. I have not looked at the engine compartment that closely, but I wonder if something similar could be done internally instead of having the external covers.

#31 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

I personally think the grill covers look a bit tacky, but I understand the premise of using them to increase temp of the ICE. When I had an 92 Toyota Tercel I had to put cardboard in front of my radiator in order to get the temperature up so that the cabin would warm up in -10 Celsius and colder temperatures. I have not looked at the engine compartment that closely, but I wonder if something similar could be done internally instead of having the external covers.

There isn't any room or easy way to do it. :(  When the Grill Covers are new you can hardly see them. :smile2:

Paul

#32 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

Just got back from trip using the A/C and it reminded me that the Radiator Fan is running all the time when A/C on. This effects gas mileage in two ways, one the fan and A/C pump use electricity from battery and secant the fan lowers WT to below Operating temp for the ICE.sad.png  BTW YouTube views are up to 440 now.smile.png

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 11 May 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

Yes, known fact you lose mpg with the ac on, also mpge in EV mode with ac on, about 10% loss say 3 miles off 30 on the battery.

I turn the ac off and vent it when it's not too hot like evenIngs

-=>Raja
  • ptjones likes this

#34 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:50 AM

I am willing to lose a bit of distance when I use AC. It is getting close to the time of year when the comfort of AC is required around here. If I am on a blended EV/EV Later trip I do try and plan the AC use when in EV Later if possible.

Tom

• ptjones likes this

#35 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

A lifetime summary photo is in order.  Here is mine, never been reset since August 29th, 2013 when I picked up the car.

The dealer changed the oil at 20k miles for free, (1st one), I've changed the oil at 40k miles and 60k miles myself.

I also rotated the tires every 10k miles, 7 times now.

The 12v battery is original.  

The tires are original.

The brakes are original.

I had to replace the GPSM module back in 2014 due to the GPS running parallel to where I was.

I did do an alignment to help the tires wear less.  They still seem to wear more on the insides in the rear.  Not sure why this is the case, but been like that since new.

I use my HVB best practices and my HVB can still put out over 5kwh per charge.  I use it alot, but I also use the engine on trips up and down the east coast and over to Indiana yearly.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 11 May 2017 - 09:25 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#36 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

WOW!  I've got more EV miles on my HVB than you have on your CMAX ODO. :smile2: LOL

LT48.7MPG

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 11 May 2017 - 01:59 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

Of course, you have over double the miles I have. EV miles can be half of the ice miles due to ice recharging while running, that's about right.

If you had a HVB your mpg net would be at least 50% more.

I take a lot of long highway trips to FL, IN, NB Canada and everywhere in between. If I just dive the ice around town with a top speed of 50-55 mph plus a lot of city driving I net about 54 mpg in hybrid mode. I used up a tank of fuel around the city here and when I filled up I got a range of over 750 miles on gas. I went to Virginia last week and highway driving when I filled up it was 587 miles. Hills and cold make a difference when I go to FL when I get south even at 66mph cruise full tank gets 632 miles range.

I posted pictures and videos here to show it but sadly they give me limited space so I have to delete older posts to put new stuff up, they lose the history from me for the folks interested here due to the restrictions.

I asked fotomoto about getting more space as I contribute a lot here and never heard back. Oh well it is what it is.

-=>Raja.

#38 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:34 AM

With 80% HWY(plugin has very little use) and City I'm getting 55mpg(35% ICE) so with plugin that would go down to about 20%. So in the Big Picture maybe I'd gain %5 mpg, but I might loose than much with lower HWY MPG's of NRG. :headscratch:  Still in the final analyse I needed the extra space. :drop: 

Paul 

#39 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

I don't think so I think you will be much more than 5% gain.  You should have at least 70mpg instead of 48.  Don't forget you have all the plastic covers on the car and I drive many highway miles also but the battery you will be surprised how well you can do with it.  Sometimes you can get hung up on the highway in a traffic jam for an hour, and HVB EV mode will last a long time during traffic and stop and go speeds.

You are also in warmer weather which increases MPG, I lose alot here in the cold but my advantage is that my HVB wouldn't get nearly as overheated.  If you had one in GA, it would be toast by now.  Mine can still put out over 5kwh easy, I'm becoming one of the few around here with a 4 year battery that can do that and so many miles on it.  Here is a trip meter from yesterday driving around town (see below)

I charged my HVB at home, then charged it again once more to full in Davis Square, plus 10 minutes also after.  Shows I got 10.8kwh out and that's a lower number than it should be due to running the ICE.  Anytime you run the ice over time KWH out of the battery go down as the system must be rounding down the numbers.  In other words if I go to Virginia on one charge, even though I use the whole battery early, over time with hybrid mode back and forth between ICE and battery use my KWH meter runs backwards.

Also attached is the MFM log to show my charging last night.  Last picture of it charged up this morning.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 12 May 2017 - 08:07 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

I think it is pretty obvious you have been taking care of your HVB. :smile2:   I noticed your Life Time Summary EV% is 58.8% vs Mine at 50%. I'm not sure what that really means. :headscratch:  Around here there is very few to next to zero places to charge. That would mean home or work if weather is dry. I do plugin my oil pan heaters at home and sometimes at work. Looking at Fuelly.com my average for the last year is around 52-53mpg and 49mpg on cross country trips. :smile2:  

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas mileage, mpgs, fe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·