Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/Energi to get Great Gas Mileage

gas mileage mpgs fe

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

Yes he's driving a hybrid.  We do have grill shutters on our models.  If you plug up the front grill with covers, its "OK" if you use the engine here and there, but don't get on the highway and do extended engine runs with the front end covered up, you could overheat the engine if there is a steady incline for sure.  Of course OAT, grade and speed all have a difference.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#242 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:05 PM

Note to readers- he's driving a Hybrid model. Our Energis all have automatic grill shutters (right?). Is there any benefit to blocking off the grill any further? If so, I wouldn't dream of doing it. In my climate, it doesn't get cold and stay cold. We're as likely to have a 60 degree high as a 20 degree high in winter, with only a day or two in between. I wouldn't risk overheating to gain a few MPGs...

The short answer is yes on the Hybrid.   I have posts on the Hybrid forum on how shutters operate under varying conditions including video and real time graphs from recorded ForScan data. I asume on the Energi that shutters would be 100% closed in EV now mode. I would also assume shutters work the same on the Hybrid and  Energi when the Energi operates as a Hybrid.

One will get some aerodynamic benefits from grille covers at higher speeds even with closwd shutters. If ones trip requires ICE, ECT will reach higher temps quicker and ICE will operate at a higher temp. The highest ECT I've seen with grille covers has been 234F going up long steeper hills at 75 mph with ambient around 50F. Higher ICE operating temps result in higher ICE efficiency.  There are fail safe strategies to protect ICE from damage should temps get too high. 

I do not use grille covers if AC is required (which in Phoenix can be virtually any day of the year). Blocking air flow through the condenser will increase AC refrigerant pump load (higher refrigerant pressure). 

• ptjones likes this

#243 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:17 PM

If the ICE in factory config does not get above 207F (mine), then I personally would not want to run it at 234F with the assistance of grill covers to get higher MPG.

Don't forget Paul also lost the transmission on his car and had it rebuilt.  Maybe not related but maybe higher operating temps take their toll faster on parts.  Not proven either way but something to think about.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 23 November 2018 - 06:17 PM.

#244 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

If the ICE in factory config does not get above 207F (mine), then I personally would not want to run it at 234F with the assistance of grill covers to get higher MPG.

Don't forget Paul also lost the transmission on his car and had it rebuilt.  Maybe not related but maybe higher operating temps take their toll faster on parts.  Not proven either way but something to think about.

-=>Raja.

I want to clarify some facts so we don't have miss information out there.  

1. I have 215k miles on my CMAX and my BlackStone Labs oil analyst is better than new.

2. Failed transmission at 98k miles was caused by bad bearing, not heat. I have about 20k miles more on "New Trans, not rebuilt"  with no problems and with Gill Covers on almost all the time. :smile2:

3.I have twice hit the 246*F overheating alarm driving up I-17 from Camp Verde, AZ and it hasn't hurt the ICE. I was trying to find out what happens when you hit 246*F and found out, the alarm will startle you for sure and your automatic response is to let of the gas which solves the problem. :smile2: Turning on the heater will lower temps quickly too.  I think the best mpg's happen at 210-230*F. I think the ECM might start to add fuel to cool ICE much above 230*F.  The thermostat is fully open at 202*F , FORD said operating temp range 202-212*F depending on conditions. 

4. There is no reason not to keep the center Grill Cover on all the time, it only lets in air to the radiator and A/C, the lower grill cools everything just fine. The fan  is very powerful and can pull air through A/C, Rad., Trans. and inverter coolers with grills blocked. And you still have the upper grill that puts air into ICE compartment. I don't notice much difference with covers on and off with A/C on. I have two oil pan heaters which I think add 5 *F to overall temps do to lose of cooling surface.

Paul

#245 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 CMAX Energi Titainum

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:01 AM

can you give some more info on grill covers?  do you have pictures?  Home made or dealer bought?  Are they in your video?

#246 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:40 AM

can you give some more info on grill covers?  do you have pictures?  Home made or dealer bought?  Are they in your video?

They are in my videos and I made them myself. Here is a long thread on Grill Covers I started 6 yrs. ago. http://fordcmaxhybri...pg-gain/page-1   If you can't make them yourself I can make a set for you for $100 if you want. :smile2:

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas mileage, mpgs, fe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·