Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/Energi to get Great Gas Mileage

gas mileage mpgs fe

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

Raja, we been this way before and you're acting like you have never driven a Hybrid. Then again you could be just fooling me.

You're missing the point Paul, what I'm trying to say is that having the Energi allows you many more options than just having the subset car, the hybrid version of it.  Like I said before, you HAVE to start your engine every time you go out, but with the Energi you can do the same if you so choose (EV later or don't charge it up) or you can use battery to make reasonable trips out of the power of the sun without polluting the earth.   Check out my log below for today...home to the post office to mail some stuff, then to Natick mall to get some dinner, and back home.  All 100% EV.  That's the beauty of the Energi that you're so missing...  :( 

Trunk space is important to me too, and I like the higher deck as I usually transport my model helicopters on top of that deck and the height allows me to put my other luggage below the tail booms on top of the folded down seats.  That deck actually works in my favor  :smile2: 

TRUST ME 100% on this, I don't care about cornering speed maybe that's the only thing going for you, I'd rather go a little bit slower than lean into it as I'm driving a plug in hybrid not a sports car and don't care about acceleration, cornering at high speed or heavy braking.  You know well that with these cars the name of the game is full blue coach bars for maximum performance in the range department!!  I'll carry 250lbs any day to be able to go to Natick and come back without using a drop of fuel,  :victory: 

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#202 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:46 AM

You're missing the point Paul, what I'm trying to say is that having the Energi allows you many more options than just having the subset car, the hybrid version of it.  Like I said before, you HAVE to start your engine every time you go out (This is not true and you would know it if you had driven a Hybrid or maybe you forgot , I usually go .2 to 1 miles when I first start out depending on the SOC, The ICE almost never starts.) , but with the Energi you can do the same if you so choose (EV later or don't charge it up) or you can use battery to make reasonable trips out of the power of the sun without polluting the earth.   Check out my log below for today...home to the post office to mail some stuff, then to Natick mall to get some dinner, and back home.  All 100% EV.  That's the beauty of the Energi that you're so missing...  :( You could have gotten an all Electric Focus and not spent any money gas. :smile2: 

Trunk space is important to me too, and I like the higher deck as I usually transport my model helicopters on top of that deck and the height allows me to put my other luggage below the tail booms on top of the folded down seats.  That deck actually works in my favor  :smile2: Sounds like it works for you but I couldn't give up 10 cubic feet of cargo space.

TRUST ME 100% on this, I don't care about cornering speed maybe that's the only thing going for you, I'd rather go a little bit slower than lean into it as I'm driving a plug in hybrid not a sports car and don't care about acceleration, cornering at high speed or heavy braking.  You know well that with these cars the name of the game is full blue coach bars for maximum performance in the range department!!  I'll carry 250lbs any day to be able to go to Natick and come back without using a drop of fuel,  :victory: Some of us CMAX Hybrid Drivers like it because it is a sporty/Fun car to drive.  :smile2:  From what I've seen most CMAX owners bought their cars to save money on gas. :smile2: BTW I went to McD's to get  lunch which is .6 miles without the ICE starting and then made it half the way back before the ICE started.  SOC when from 49% to 38% so if I could started with 52% SOC I could have gone all the way without the ICE starting. :smile2:  This is so much fun. Using these numbers I would say My CMAX has an EV  range of about 3 miles. I'm thinking about away of testing it.

-=>Raja.

#203 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

Sounds like it works for you but I couldn't give up 10 cubic feet of cargo space.

BTW I went to McD's to get  lunch which is .6 miles without the ICE starting and then made it half the way back before the ICE started.  SOC when from 49% to 38% so if I could started with 52% SOC I could have gone all the way without the ICE starting. :smile2:  This is so much fun. Using these numbers I would say My CMAX has an EV  range of about 3 miles. I'm thinking about away of testing it.

This was the same for me, the Cargo space was needed for my current life situation.

The Greatest distance on the battery (hybrid) I've driven is 2.1 miles.  I was at 60SOC, went down hill for about 1 mile of it and kept below 35 to keep the ice from turning on.  Stopped with 42SOC.

• ptjones likes this

#204 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

I was going to also say that you would be hard pressed to go more than 2 miles with the hybrid battery Paul.  This assumes a flat road.  If you have any hills to climb forget it you're staring the engine and if you're going downhill you can go forever as long as the downhill section is and then some.

As for answers for you, no, a Focus won't work for me.  I drive my car all over the country to as far as FL south and as far as Indiana west and as far at NB Northeast.  The focus or any battery only car will not work for me.

Look how exciting that was to drive 0.6 miles for you 100% EV.  Now imagine being able to do that 50 times longer on one charge.  You'd be smiling cheek to cheek!

-=>Raja.

#205 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

This is the latest on this tank. So Mile to empty 502 + trip 1 miles so far 291.5 = 793.5 miles. RAFE current 56.7mpg from 55.4mpg when I started this tank. Current MPG Average on trip 1   56 mpg. would expect this to keep going up. :smile2:

Attached File  VR502.JPG   106.34KB   0 downloadsAttached File  trip1b.JPG   101.83KB   0 downloadsAttached File  RAFE3.JPG   103.92KB   0 downloads

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 25 June 2018 - 08:05 AM.

#206 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

Currently RAFE is 58 mpg and Smart Gauge average is 57.1 mpg. :smile2:  

#207 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:33 AM

Nice Paul!!  I'm at my all time high I think (since I've been checking lately) on RAFE  :happy feet:

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

#208 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:06 PM

My current RAFE is 58.6 mpg and average 57.4 mpg for this tank. :smile2:

Paul

#209 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:09 AM

Attached File  RAFE.JPG   85.58KB   0 downloads  And without a plug. :smile2:

Paul

#210 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:06 PM

Drove the other day in the searing heat and had to use the AC the whole evening.  I didn't go out till evening mind you but it was stuffy.  I didn't even charge the HVB past 1/2 way as its temp was already up to 89F and I decided to unplug it.

Even with the AC running and evening to dark, the temp of the battery rose to 95F before starting to go back down.  The AC adds some load on the battery as well as the gas engine and the car didn't get as good a gas mileage as it had before - not the mention the faster speeds.  I went down from 60.8 to 56.6 on the RAFE because of that.   I drove 133 miles that day, burned off all the gas less 4 miles and while in hybrid mode I net 51.5 mpg with AC, driving many of those miles on the highway at 65mph (495 and 95 speed limit 65) and some at 62mph on 128 (speed limit 55).

I filled up yesteday and charged the car up fully today and I got a range of over 800 miles combined, though had I not driven that segment my range would have been in the high 800's alone on gas (60.8 RAFE x 14 = 851 + 34 EV = 885).

This car is beautiful with the range it can get plus having the HVB gives you the peace of mind that running out of fuel is not going to be an issue.  I managed my remaining power (between gas and battery) saving the battery until last due to the heat and as a safety net if I run out of gas and managed to get home with zero battery and 4 miles range.   I just love this car for all the flexibility it gives me!!

Some pictures below for your viewing pleasure  :camera:

First picture driving with AC completely hybrid mode, note 0.0 kwh battery used.

Second picture after burning up 1/2 a charge on the HVB bringing the total MPG to 58.9.

Third picture just 4 miles left of gas!!

Fourth picture fill up and charged up, note range of 792 on gas, 34 on EV, plus lifetime MPG on trip 2 (never reset) of 78.4 including 1410 kwh and 251.5 gallons of fuel through this car's engine since day 1.

-=>Raja.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 06 July 2018 - 08:09 PM.

#211 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:49 AM

Range 4mi lol! I always get concerned about the fuel pump when running the tank that low...

#212 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:52 AM

Don't let that worry you, never been a problem for me I always drive my cars to the last drop...well not always but lets just say I never fill up before the low fuel light comes on.  Its a fallacy in my opinion, people always tell you don't let it get less than a 1/4 tank, just like you will catch a cold if you take a shower and go outside while still wet in cold weather.  Old wives tale...

Also FYI, my old Mercedes I always ran it low on fuel many times.  If its on E and the low fuel light has been on for 65+ miles, then eventually if you turn the stereo down you can start hearing the pump sucking some bubbles.  But that only happens when its about to run out.  I mean if you hear that you're down to your last mile before flameout...

Lastly, on the Cmax even if you run it down to 0, which I have done actually AND driven an additional 9 miles on 0, it still has some fuel left in it.  I'd say about 1/2 a gallon.  Its a 14 gallon tank and I've never been able to put more than 13.5 gallons in it.  Paul can attest to that he's run his down many times as well.

Bottom line is, you can safely drive the car to 0 miles without worrying about the pump.  In the BMW we had before, once it reached 0 miles it went to - - - for the range.  Still made it to the gas station within a mile or two of that (my lowest with that car).

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 07 July 2018 - 06:16 AM.

#213 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:21 PM

I have been able to go anywhere from 25 to 70 miles pass 0 and running out of fuel is a non event, you can still EV until that runs out. :smile2:  If you run out of gas, the car will start up immediately when you add some gas. :smile2:  Most times I put 13.5 gallons in or more, I know my car very well with 324 fill ups. :smile2:

Paul

• spirilis likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas mileage, mpgs, fe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·