Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/Energi to get Great Gas Mileage

gas mileage mpgs fe

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

I have made three YouTube Videos for driving a CMAX the way it was designed to be driven, Called "How to drive a CMAX Hybrid to get great gas mileage",Also " CMAX Mods to improve MPG's" and "Hypermiling to improve MPG's".

Efficiency and Aerodynamic Mods:  The First thing to do is to raise your tire pressure of your Michelin's to 50psi which is safe to do and I got 64k miles for each set of tires on my CMAX. :smile2: 

Hypermiling Video not recommended for those who can't focus on situational  awareness of traffic around you all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s09mywF78g4&feature=youtu.be

Let me know what you think, any improvements.smile.png

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 09 April 2017 - 06:49 AM.

• stolenmoment and sporkinum like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

Cool information. With over 150 k miles on your car, you have had a lot of practice. Did you ever figure out what your fender skirts an fairings do mileage wise?

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:11 AM

I'm guessing about 1 mpg and with everything 6-8 mpg. :smile2:

Paul

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

Nice videos Paul, thanks for sharing!  

I'm still on the fence about blocking all the air in the grill and forcing the engine to run hotter.  Something about cool engines makes me think they will last longer.  I can see in the winter it might be more ideal to keep the temp up more when cycling the engine on surface streets so you can rob the heat from the engine for the cabin heater.  The grill has louvers that close, apparently they block the air but not as much as with your covers.

The wheel well covers look a little tacky, do you experience any paint rubbing off from them being on there and vibrating during travel?  

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

Nice videos Paul, thanks for sharing!  

I'm still on the fence about blocking all the air in the grill and forcing the engine to run hotter.  Something about cool engines makes me think they will last longer.  I can see in the winter it might be more ideal to keep the temp up more when cycling the engine on surface streets so you can rob the heat from the engine for the cabin heater. Generally speaking the hotter the ICE runs the more efficient it is. I don't take any corrective action until WT gets above 230*F and I have been doing this for over 4yrs. :smile2:

The grill has louvers that close, apparently they block the air but not as much as with your covers.  You are right and the cooling system has way more cooling capacity than needed. :headscratch:

The wheel well covers look a little tacky, do you experience any paint rubbing off from them being on there and vibrating during travel? Maybe so, but I wanted to attach as simple as possible and you don't even notice them when they're clean.  They do rub on the top of five of the spokes near the center.  They seem to stick at the edges with the foam insulation strips.

wheel cover

Paul

-=>Raja.

Edited by ptjones, 17 April 2017 - 06:39 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:06 AM

I'm wondering if anyone that wasn't using the 2 Bar technique and is now, how much their MPG's have improved? :smile2:

Paul

#7 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Not enough time yet, and the way we mostly drive we may never be able to tell. Last long trip starting with a full charge, we got 53mpg at highway speeds. After battery was depleted, and I stopped and filled the tank, it got 43mpg with no charge at 65-70 mph for 100 miles.

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

Not enough time yet, and the way we mostly drive we may never be able to tell. Last long trip starting with a full charge, we got 53mpg at highway speeds. After battery was depleted, and I stopped and filled the tank, it got 43mpg with no charge at 65-70 mph for 100 miles.

Will take a while to get to the point where it is automatic especially if you only drive on the charge. :smile2:

Paul

#9 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

EV to 15mph and 2 Bar acceleration does take sometime to turn it into a habit, but the improvement is worth it.IMO :smile2:

Paul 

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

Up to 234 views total for my YouTube videos now. smile.png Would be nice to see an improvement on Fuelly.com.smile.png

Paul

#11 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

There is a direct relationship between the lower percentage of ICE use and higher MPG's. The two tanks that I got 68mpg, my ICE % was 28-30%, that is why the 2 Bar rule is so important, when you use less than 2 Bars the ICE runs less efficient and longer so you lose more heat to the radiator.(water pump doesn't run when ICE is off) Running above 2 Bars, the HVB doesn't charge faster and the ICE is less efficient. Obviously it isn't practical to only run at 2 Bars all the time because of driving conditions, but the more you do the better MPG's.smile.png

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 22 April 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

Interesting Paul, so 2 bar it and get the engine off quicker and use the battery until it can't no more?

What about on the highway, keep the engine on or keep it off and keep draining and recharging the battery?

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 22 April 2017 - 08:36 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

Interesting Paul, so 2 bar it and get the engine off quicker and use the battery until it can't no more?

What about on the highway, keep the engine on or keep it off and keep draining and recharging the battery?

-=>Raja.

I drive on the HWY with pretty much the same strategy as in town taking advantage of the terrain when I can.  Looking at my fill up pics for HWY Driving I'm seeing as low as 30% EV with bad head winds, climbing. cold temps and rain to 60%EV with tail winds. Drafting and speed add into the mix, faster you go the more ICE it takes. It seems to me that  HVB charging is the most efficient between 38-50% SOC, at about 53% SOC EV assist kicks in. :smile2: 

Paul 

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

When you fill up your tank, how much range do you get?

I found that at 65mph on the highway it's better to keep the ice running and the HVB full than let it drain and recharge all the time.

I never draft trucks, I don't feel safe I can't see the road ahead so my numbers will be lower than yours.

-=>Raja.

#15 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:18 AM

I never draft trucks, I don't feel safe I can't see the road ahead so my numbers will be lower than yours.

-=>Raja.

Raja , you can get a decent draft from a respectable distance back from the rear of the trailer. 100' will get you about 40% reduction.

I've found that driving about 65-66 mph I am catching up to many of the trucks governed at 62 mph, (Swift, Schneider, JB Hunt etc...) while the faster trucks and cars breeze by me .
  • ptjones likes this

#16 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

Raja , you can get a decent draft from a respectable distance back from the rear of the trailer. 100' will get you about 40% reduction.

I've found that driving about 65-66 mph I am catching up to many of the trucks governed at 62 mph, (Swift, Schneider, JB Hunt etc...) while the faster trucks and cars breeze by me .

I would assume you can see the draft on the kw gauge. Should see a drop as soon as you enter it. Back in my younger days, I would pull in behind a truck until I felt the buffeting, then move a bit closer until I felt things smooth out.

#17 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

When you fill up your tank, how much range do you get?

I found that at 65mph on the highway it's better to keep the ice running and the HVB full than let it drain and recharge all the time.

-=>Raja.

I get 700+ mi. local driving and 500-650 mi. on the HWY on a full tank.  Here's my Fuelly.com Link:  http://www.fuelly.co.../ptjones/163299                                                

I tried your method a couple of years ago, but it didn't work as well as 2 Bar accelerate to 5 mph over and EV to 5 to 10mph under and repeat.  This is like P&G and the Science behind it is the ICE is most efficient at 2 Bars but that is to much power for maintaining 65 mph maybe up to a factor of 3 so part of the extra power is use to accelerate and the other for charging the HVB.  If you use the ICE all the time the ICE efficiency is way down using maybe 1 1/4 Bars and wasting energy to the radiator. 

There is a direct relationship between the lower percentage of ICE use and higher MPG's. The two tanks that I got 68mpg, my ICE % was 28-30%, that is why the 2 Bar rule is so important, when you use less than 2 Bars the ICE runs less efficient and longer so you lose more heat to the radiator.(water pump doesn't run when ICE is off) Running above 2 Bars, the HVB doesn't charge faster and the ICE is less efficient. Obviously it isn't practical to only run at 2 Bars all the time because of driving conditions, but the more you do the better MPG's.smile.png

The improvement in FE drafting is dependent on the air speed going by. With a 30 mph tail wind going 70mph you would probably see about 1 mpg improvement, but with a 30 mph head wind going 70 mph = 100 mph so your improvement could be 6 mpg or almost 100 mile improvement of range. smile.png shift.gif BTW I hate getting 32mpg with 30 mph head winds and uphill climbing, what a drag. sad.gif

Paul

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

For city driving my range showed 706 miles gas 33 miles EV.

For highway I keep the ice running for about 48mpg with no drafting.

Just seeems like too much work driving to Virginia 5 miles over 10 miles under the whole way with pulse and glide. I keep the ice running, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

-=>Raja.

#19 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:42 AM

For city driving my range showed 706 miles gas 33 miles EV.

For highway I keep the ice running for about 48mpg with no drafting.

Just seeems like too much work driving to Virginia 5 miles over 10 miles under the whole way with pulse and glide. I keep the ice running, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

-=>Raja.

What ever works for you. :smile2:  For me it's entertaining, not stressful  and I get to watch the scenery go by too. Are you on Fuelly.com ? Did you check your Odometer with GPS? :smile2: 

Paul 

#20 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

Hi Paul, 

Not on fuelly, too many things to keep track of, but here is my range when I filled up the tank (see pictures below).

2nd picture after I recharged the battery having driven 72 miles since fillup burning about a gallon of fuel.

The range tells your RAFE, which is just over 50 for me for city driving on the ICE.

When I let the ICE run continuously on the highway, it drops some filling the tank while on the way to FL I've seen a range of 632 miles, posted it here as well some time ago.  Its about 45.1 mpg at 66mph vs 50.6 in the city.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas mileage, mpgs, fe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·