Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Lug Nuts-19mm not fitting one wheel

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMilwaukee
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Explorer

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

Long story short, I picked up a brand new Ford Fusion spare tire on eBay for $75. Wanted to confirm everything fit before it was ever needed in an emergency. For some reason, the 19mm socket fit every lug nut except the ones on the rear drivers side tire. They all look exactly the same, but these 5 seem to have expanded or bulged to make the socket too small to fit. First, anybody know what may be the cause? And secondly, can I get any set of 19mm lugs or do they need to be a certain size? (depth/length)

Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 356 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

You may have gotten an especially tight 19mm socket, have you tried a 3/4"?  Mathematically, it is 19.05mm. 

Most sockets on the market are loose enough in there tolerances that the 2 sizes are effectively the same.  I'm not sure whether Ford officially classifies it's lugs as 19mm or 3/4"

#3 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:12 AM

Weird.  I personally rotate my own tires and all the lug nuts are the same.    Have you ever had your tires serviced?

#4 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

The socket I have is technically labeled 3/4-19mm, so it should work on both. I just find it strange that all 5 lug nuts of one wheel won't fit my socket, but the other 15 fit perfectly.

I did have a flare tire while driving to northern Wisconsin, hence the spare tire purchase. That tire was replaced by a shop, but it was the passenger rear. My socket won't fit the driver rear. If I can get these things off I'll just look for replacements

#5 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:29 AM

Perhaps the caps are slightly larger, or have expanded.

#6 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

I found some information online that lug nuts can expand if overtightened. I called my dealership and they advised they could get them off and replace them...for a fee of course

#7 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:51 AM

I use a torque wrench and tighten to 101 ft lbs.

#8 OFFLINE   patbob

patbob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPNW
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:asdf

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

I found some information online that lug nuts can expand if overtightened. I called my dealership and they advised they could get them off and replace them...for a fee of course

Do you happen to have a link?  I'd like to read for myself how they explain them expanding instead of stripping.  All I could find were stories of how a cap over the nut might expand from rust under the cap.

Either way, the solution for the OP is to try different wrenches or sockets until they get them off, then replace them.  Cheaper tools are often oversize, and then there are expensive tools that grip the flats instead of the corners.

Edited by patbob, 05 April 2017 - 06:44 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

My new theory:  error in the just in time inventory to the factory line.   For some reason, a new batch of lug nuts (possibly for another model built on the same line) arrived a tad early and one set of these different nuts were installed on one wheel of the OP's Energi.   Anybody remember the guy with the "SL" badged CMax?

#10 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

The carfax had a "minor rear end collision" on file. Could that be related somehow?

#11 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

Could be the one lug nut was replaced and wasn't machine right.
What year was the fusion spare from?
I need to get me a spare.

#12 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:06 AM

It's all 5 lugs on one wheel.

And I believe it's a 2016 spare, not sure but it was brand new. Fits perfectly

#13 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:10 AM

It's all 5 lugs on one wheel.

And I believe it's a 2016 spare, not sure but it was brand new. Fits perfectly

oh wow, thats interesting.  I wonder if maybe all 5 got replaced some how.   I member on my 13 escape when we had a flat tire the lug wrench that comes with the car was a bit too small and had to hammer it onto the lug nuts.

I'm looking at those spares, and they all seem to be listed as 13-16 fusion spares.  Might have to pick me one up.

Edited by Joshg678, 01 May 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   kathi

kathi

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationAZ
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:302A

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

It's a whole thing - the lug nuts are apparently covered by aluminum caps that are swelling - especially from the heat.  I live in AZ - ALL of mine are having issues...  Only reason I found out was because I hit a curb and need a new tire (lol).  I split the sidewall so it is operable.  Took it to Sam's club and they couldn't service the vehicle because of the swollen lug nut caps.  Suggested I go to the dealer to buy steel lug nuts and replace them all.  Went to the dealer and the service and parts people seemed confused as if they'd never heard of it.  Quoted me $26 for new OEM steel lug nuts (didn't include the cost to remove/replace them - it was just for the part) - went the tire department to get a tire quote.  He is the one who explained that it is a thing impacting these cars but they have many different sizes of lug wrenches so they can sell me tires...  Took the quotes and went to shop around.  talked to someone at Costco about pricing who mentioned that there is a class action law suit against Ford because of the lug nuts issue...  https://www.carcompl...n-lawsuit.shtml I just came to the forum to see what tires everyone else was buying - but thought I'd share what I found out today about the lug nuts/caps swelling as well. 

Edited by kathi, 19 September 2017 - 03:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·