Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Unintended Acceleration

acceleration

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   energybeast

energybeast

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationnorth carolina
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:c-Max energi

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:01 AM

I have recently purchased (Dec 2016) a new 2016 C-Max Energi and loved this car.  Last month I was pulling into a parking space and the car started to accelerate on it's own.  It ended up jumping the curb, hitting a tree, and causing quite a bit of damage. My foot was nowhere near the gas pedal and a witness said the engine was screaming like it was at the highest speed.  I see that others posted on the C-Max hybrid that similar things have happed with that vehicle.  I am wondering if someone else has had this happen.  My car is now at the Ford Dealer that I purchased from to repair the computer as it failed at time of accident.   I am not sure how I am going to feel about driving this again.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

Silly question, but didn't you slam on the brake in a normal reaction?

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   energybeast

energybeast

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

Yes, I did, and the car did not stop.  I had a person in the car with me that experienced the whole thing.  We could not stop

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:07 AM

Really?  That's not good, you would have thought the brakes could overcome any acceleration.  Let us know what you find out.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Silly question, but didn't you slam on the brake in a normal reaction?

-=>Raja.

Or shift it into Neutral?

#6 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Or shift it into Neutral?

+1

I can see how in the heat of the moment it's not on your mind. My mindset is dead set on shifting to nutral but I learned to drive on manual.

#7 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

All the cars now are drive by wire so the computer controls the throttle, if it does not realize it is floored then stuff like that can happen.  However on a standard car when it is at full throttle it can reduce the brakes I don't believe you have the same issue you should have been able to Lock the rear tires and have large skid marks?

Edited by komondor, 24 March 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:28 AM

Anything is possible, but the most likely scenario is the same as the Prius'...  Which is to say somehow the gas pedal was accidentally pressed, whether your foot wasn't where you thought it was, or there was a floor mat or something not quite where it should be, etc...

Same with the brake.  Anything is possible, but it's much more likely you accidentally got the wrong pedal than the car suddenly deciding to ignore both the accelerator and brake pedals and just go max acceleration with no braking.

The brake pedal overcomes the accelerator any time I've tried it...

Now of course, if someone got into your car and tampered/"hacked" with your computers, wires, etc. then the car doing it's own thing is definitely possible.

#9 OFFLINE   energybeast

energybeast

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Let me clarify what the situation was...I was pulling into a parking spot and was almost to a complete stop, I went from pavement to gravel and that is the precise moment the car started to accelerate.  I have pictures where the gravel is tore up.  I hit the brake when the car started to accelerate, then hit a tree.  I put the car in park and got out.  On inspection the front tires dug a hole where the car was sitting.  So the tires were spinning after the car stopped. My foot was not on the gas.  I had to have it towed, and the tow truck driver had to put the hand brake on when he started the car because the car was trying to pull him forward. In hindsight, if it happens again I will put the car in neutral and pull the hand brake.  I have read a few similar incidents on the hybrid forum.  I have gone over this over and over and I was not confused, or disoriented.  I have been driving and parking for years and have never "hit" the wrong pedal.  I know it is the first thing people think.  I just want this out there in case someone else has the same situation, I know how scary this is.  I believe my car "brain" failed.  It has been back at Ford for a week for the computer and still not "fixed"

Edited by energybeast, 24 March 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,311 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Just one thing to clarify for the future, the hand brake is 10 times weaker than the regular brakes, so if the car is trying to pull forward the hand brake in no way would stop it.  In fact you can drive with the hand brake forgotten on and you end up wearing it out quite quickly.

I hope this never happens to any of us, thanks for the feedback.

-=>Raja.

#11 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

That's a pretty concerning story. Thanks for sharing. Was the damage covered by Ford?

#12 OFFLINE   RobotsRock

RobotsRock

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL 303 A with Panoramic Roof

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

That's a pretty concerning story. Thanks for sharing. Was the damage covered by Ford?

Sorry to hear about what happened OP. Ford covering damages like that is dreaming as far as I'm concerned. I have a 47-day written repair order and Ford maintained it complied with their warranty obligations despite it being black-and-white from the warranty manual and the Lemon Law....and tried to claim during BBB arbitration MFT freezing because of TCU crashing was due to cellular reception 'out of their control'...I don't expect Ford to take responsibility for anything their lawyers can get away with.

#13 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Just glad everyone is OK.  I've never experienced anything like it in my CMax...its a little scary in all these high tech cars.  Brakes should always overcome the engine at low speeds, brakes only have an issue if it is a high speed situation and/or the brakes malfunction at the same time.  I would be extremely surprised if Ford comes back with any type of car malfunction, They will "determine" it to be driver error, floor mat, or something else.

#14 OFFLINE   Telemachus

Telemachus

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:07 AM

Was there ever a resolution to this problem?

I had something similar happen on Friday following a restart after a sleep mode instance triggered by a low 12V battery.

Brakes worked just not acceleration.

Another report attached.

Attached Files

Edited by Telemachus, 15 April 2019 - 01:09 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acceleration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·