Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Tradeoffs with Cancelling Sirius XM?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blandman

blandman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

My 2013 C-Max Energi came with Sirius/XM radio that I have renewed the last few years. Now it is time to re-up, but I am wondering if others have cancelled their Sirius/XM subscriptions for whatever reason and gone to other options, like Pandora. If Sirius is not enabled, is there any downside in terms of how the radio works, other than the Sirius functionality not working? 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

I subscribe to Apple Music, and either bluetooth it or USB it to the infotainment system.  Works like a charm.

#3 OFFLINE   blandman

blandman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Ruby Max! Any degradation or improvement in audio quality?

#4 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Sirius XM is compressed, just as Apple Music is compressed.  The rates, I am unsure of.  But my middle aged ears can't really hear a difference.

That said. the bluetooth connection sometimes is unreliable compared to the USB wired solution.

#5 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 467 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

I use the simple radio app music/tv shows stored on my phone to me Sirius seems to have more commercials than music on some channels not worth it at all.  They just called to renew my wife's 2016 Fusion and I said no thank they offered something like 4 or 5 bucks a months for 6 months and I told her no thanks.  She was very upfront about the auto renew at full price.  I told her if it was free for 6 months would still not take it.  Wife said she listened once the whole time she had the trial.  I like the weather function with the live weather maps but that is about it.

#6 OFFLINE   jtespi

jtespi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

In case you didn't know, SirusXM has one free channel that everyone can listen to, regardless if they are subscribed or not. It is "Sirius Preview" channel 184. It is basically a simulcast (sometimes delayed though) of "Hits 1", channel 2, with ads of course. It isn't that bad and I occasionally use it to hear a song again that was played recently, since the two stations are sometimes a few songs out of sync. The rewind feature also works on ch 184, except metadata is not that good, since the artist name is always the 800 number to call to subscribe again and song title switches between the normal metadata.

#7 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

My 2013 C-Max Energi came with Sirius/XM radio that I have renewed the last few years. Now it is time to re-up, but I am wondering if others have cancelled their Sirius/XM subscriptions for whatever reason and gone to other options, like Pandora. If Sirius is not enabled, is there any downside in terms of how the radio works, other than the Sirius functionality not working? 

My 2014 that I bought used came with a 3 month preview that expires tomorrow. I tried it and found that the sound quality was terrible to my ears. Maybe listened to it for 10 minutes in 3 months. Probably got a dozen or so spam calls from them, and at least a dozen or so pieces of junk mail, trying to get me to sign up.

My preference is a usb key with 80gb of music on it, and every once in a while, I'll listen to NPR. The USB music sounds much better.

#8 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

If you call them you can renew for $5/month. I don't personally use it because I listen to audio books. My wife doesn't use it in her car because she subscribes to Pandora instead for $5/month. Pandora is pretty cool because it will download and cache content on your phone while on WiFi so it won't eat your data while in the car. Pandora integrates pretty well with Sync 3 in our 2017 Explorer. Sync detects that it's on your phone and shows it as another media source.

Edited by bdginmo, 15 March 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

I'm another long time Audible user, back when I was on the road a lot, I preferred it to radio. Lately I too use ad free Pandora , and find that I rarely turn on FM. I also have the Gameday Audio package from MLB, and listen to games that way if I'm on the road when they're on.
I'm picking my 2013 up tomorrow, and don't expect much of my listening habits to change. Sirius always seemed too much of a one trick pony, if you're not in the car that much, it's pricey for the time actually listening.
  • altabrig likes this

#10 OFFLINE   JonC

JonC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

They gave me a three month free trial about six months after I bought my used 2013 (without me asking, they sent a letter telling me it had been turned on) and I didn't see any real upside to having it at all.  I think I listened to it maybe ten minutes during the three months.

For me, It's definitely not worth the money they want for it, it wouldn't be worth it at a quarter the price.

Everything else works the same with it on or off.

#11 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

I allowed mine to cancel. The wife still has hers. I loaded my favorite songs on a thumb drive.

#12 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

I just buy the travel services to get live weather maps.  I think it is $5/month.  Its great for road trips.  I use my phone for music. 

#13 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

I just buy the travel services to get live weather maps.  I think it is $5/month.  Its great for road trips.  I use my phone for music. 

My 2015 C-Max Energi came with 5 years of free Travel Link Services from Sirius.  That feature includes free weather, fuel prices, traffic, etc.  What year is your C-Max and are you sure you don't have a free package?  You don't even need to have a Sirius subscription for the music channels and can still have the Travel Link.

I also think the Ford Services provide free weather information.  I believe my 2015 came with 3 free years of that service.  I actually use that a lot for sport scores, business searches for addresses and phone numbers, and fuel prices.  I had it on my 2013 Ford Edge and now on the 2015 Ford C-Max.  Just had to notify them once a year at "renewal" time to keep the services going, even though there was no charge involved.

#14 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:32 AM

Mine is a 2013.  I only received 2 years free.  We do a lot of road trips and the weather maps are great, especially driving in the Mountains. 

#15 OFFLINE   Matt Bonnett

Matt Bonnett

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:38 AM

Yeah. I plan to do the same and just keep the travellink stuff when mine expires. I have a road trip coming up end of May that is right after the expiration so already have one month after paid for but that will be it. Haven't found a lot of content that is worth keeping it around for. There's one channel I'd love to have but is online only. :(

#16 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,243 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

A little late with an answer but "no" there is no issue with the entertainment system if sirius is not activated.  In fact, SAT still works too as it will default to their demo channel and you'll get periodic free days/weekends.    

I prefer SAT as streaming would easily push us over our family data limits (kids), upgrading that limit would cost about as much as SAT subscriptions so no huge savings, and the hassles of phone battery life, hooking it up to charge (and forgetting it in the car when I do that :doh: ), gets very warm if left in pocket, poor cell service here/buffering, etc.

#17 OFFLINE   rocolema

rocolema

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationDallas
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:18 AM

Cancel (or threaten to cancel) and they will offer you 6 months for around $30. I've already done this 3 times.

#18 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Cancel (or threaten to cancel) and they will offer you 6 months for around $30. I've already done this 3 times.

http://www.siriusxm.com/turnitbackon

#19 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

I had a VW TDI before this car. I specifically stated to NOT renew the subscription last year. I made sure to make the point over and over. It expired roughly the same time as I turned the car back into VW. I started getting calls that I was in arrears so I call them and explain I NO longer had the car........the lady said "but I believe we can make you a great offer to stay as you have been a customer since 2007". I asked her what she didn't understand about me no longer owning the car.

She said she would cancel..........I'm on hold.......she finally says it is cancelled and I had a balance of $30. I told her NO I do not have a balance as I never authorized renewal. Finally she cancelled everything.

It's just no longer worth the headache every year or 6 months or whatever to me any longer. Even with all the channels I'd find myself going from channel to channel trying to find something I wanted to listen to. Elizabeth Cook was moved to a time slot I'm not in my car much so that reason went out the window also.

#20 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Sirius XM is compressed, just as Apple Music is compressed.  The rates, I am unsure of.  But my middle aged ears can't really hear a difference.

That said. the bluetooth connection sometimes is unreliable compared to the USB wired solution.

I'm new to Sirius, only gaining it with my new NRG last week. But every time I've tried to listen to music on it, I can't bear the sound quality. There's a hollow, hard-edged, artificial, tinny quality to everything that must be a sign of over-compression. My iPhone library, saved with Apple Lossless Compression, sounds excellent, and so does FM radio (we still have an excellent jazz station). There's no way I'll stay with Sirius after the trial period is done. 

Edited by GTIguy, 30 July 2017 - 07:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·