Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How do you tell if you need a new 12v battery?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   malaugh

malaugh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

I have a problem with my car.  The power steering does not work for the first three seconds after I turn on the car.   It happens intermittently.  I took the car to the dealer but they could not find a problem.

Anyone else had this problem?

I was thinking, and now I have another theory.  Maybe the 12v battery is dying.  It got me thinking, how would I know if I need a new battery?  In a normal car its easy, the car starts cranking slowly and it gets difficult to start.  I this car I am not even sure what the 12v battery does, or how to check too see if I need a new one.

What are the symptoms of a dead battery?  Anyone know?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

All the battery needs to do is close the relay to the HVB and then the car is powered up by the HVB and the 12v battery is charging.

As your 12v battery gets older, it will have less and less reserve capacity meaning that if you try to run the radio or leave the parking lights on the time will be less before the 12v battery voltage drops to critical levels.  In this car things will function "OK" as long as the 12v battery is above 10.5v, below that the lights start to flash and it just won't work properly.  The 12v battery should never be that low, in general it will be over 12v somewhere between 12.2 and 12.5v.

You power steering problem sounds simple to me.  If it works sometimes and it doesn't other times, it points that its some sort of electrical issue.  It works on power so if it doesn't get the power then it doesn't run.  Its not a leak or anything like that, could be the motor for it or the power to the motor for it.  

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 08 March 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   malaugh

malaugh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

Thank for you r reply rbort.  The weird thing with the power steering is it only happens when I start the car, never when I am just traveling down the road. That's what make me think it is a battery issue, maybe the power steering motor it does not work on the 12v battery, but works fine on the HVB.

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Logic then says that its a switch that turns on the motor for the power steering.  The fault is in the switch not the motor or power steering itself.  Sometimes that switch doesn't close when energized and the power steering then doesn't work.  Once closed and the car is on, then its going to work for the rest of the entire trip whether its 20 minutes or 8 hours.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

I found out mine was dying when sitting in a parking lot listening to the radio after turning the car off.  The radio normally runs for 10 minutes before shutting off, but it started shutting off earlier, like after 4 minutes, with a message about shutting off to preserve the battery which I had never seen.

Try that test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·