Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

HVB Overheating

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aymandabas

aymandabas

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • Locationjordan
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:FORD C-MAX ENERGI

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

Hi Everbody I Have C-Max Energi 2013

I wanna ask if any one face overheating For HVB in the hot summer days or any fault for the HVB vent fan Happened because iam living in jordan (Middle East country) and the temprature range in the summer days between 25C and 40C
Please Advise

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

I have seen HVB overheating. Once the HVB reaches 113ºf (45ºc) it goes to a thermal protection mode. This can be observed in the left display screen when there is additional power still in the HVB but the EV available drops to less than 4 bars. It may drop gradually or quickly depending on how hot the HVB is. It cal go down to less than two bars and the car will run only as a hybrid until the HVB cools down.

If the overnight low temperature only gets to 80ºf (26ºc) the HVB will have problems cooling to a point where it can be safely charged. If the HVB temperature can't be brought below 90ºf (32ºc) charging the HVB should be avoided.

it has been my experience that allowing the HVB to exceed 100ºf (38ºc) greatly increases the chance for damaging the pack. This will result in lost capacity over a short time.

In very hot climates I would suggest not to charge the pack and only run the car as a hybrid. I would also recommend an aftermarket device ( in my case a ScanGauge II) should be used to actively monitor the HVB temperature.

Hope that helps,

Tom

• Jonathan Ezor and aymandabas like this

#3 OFFLINE   aymandabas

aymandabas

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationjordan

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

Thanks tom
But iam suprised because as i know the united states have some hot climates and ford should be aware of this ???

#4 OFFLINE   aymandabas

aymandabas

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationjordan

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Can i know the main Reasons for HVB overheating and if you have a link to buy scan gauge II

#5 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 175 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

For most of the U.S., it generally gets cool enough overnight even in summertime to safely charge the HVB, and in the hottest areas, many people who have plug-in hybrids may also have air-conditioned or insulated garages. For myself, I relied on the advice I got here and made a point of not charging my HVB during hot daytimes, and it seemed to work out well. (I don't have a ScanGauge, but I do have an ODBLink MX and can use custom PIDs within the Torque Pro app on my phone to monitor HVB temperature along with other Energi-specific and Ford-specific sensor outputs. {Jonathan}

• aymandabas likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

I love much about the C-Max but the one complaint it that HVB temperature management was not well thought out by Ford and it does not work well for cooling the HVB.

Here is a link the the ScanGauge II that I use. Any of the other gauges that can monitor the HVB temperature would work just as well.

https://www.amazon.c...ds=scangauge ii

The HVB temperature is not a built in gauge. I programmed the temperature gauge along with many others and can provide the parameters to anyone who PMs me. 

Tom

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

There are many things you can do to help prolong the car's battery life, but in the middle east you're up crap creek without a paddle so to speak.

Here are some off the top of my head:

1. Leave the battery as empty as possible round the clock unless you intend to use it.  Do not recharge back to 100% all the time.

2. Do not let the car bake in the sun

3. Do not charge the battery while the car is baking in the sun

4. Drive the car on electric mode only at night when its cooler.

5. Do not recharge more than once a day when the weather is hot.

6. Do not drive fast on the battery, limit your speed to 80km/hr.

7. Do not drain the battery quickly, should take about 1 hour to drain (goes hand in hand with #6).

8. More about #7, do not accelerate fast, only up to 2 bars tops.  

9. If the battery is hot, do not charge it right away after driving.

10. You can charge the battery in sections if it seems like the charger/battery is getting hot while charging.  You will hear the fan running fast in the car, might be a good idea to take a break and charge more several hours later if you don't need the car right away.

11.  Always roll the windows down while charging to prevent cabin heat buildup from the charger which will in turn heat the battery more.  Remember charge in the shade never in the blazing sun.

I'm sure there is more, but those are some things to consider.  Hope this helps,

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 06 March 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   aymandabas

aymandabas

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationjordan

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

Thanks another qeustion when i drive the car in hybrid mode in the hot summer days will effect on HVB temprature

#9 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:00 AM

Thanks another qeustion when i drive the car in hybrid mode in the hot summer days will effect on HVB temprature

Driving in Hybrid will not heat up the HVB much. Even in Hybrid driving you should avoid excessive regen such as hard breaking or shifting to 'L'. These actions create high current while recharging the battery and cause heat buildup in the process. Last summer during a time when outside temperatures reached 100ºf (38ºc) I drove 500 miles the interstate highway. Used AC the whole way and the HVB did not get much above 100ºf for the trip. Did not charge the HVB until it had a chance to cool down.

Tom

#10 OFFLINE   aymandabas

aymandabas

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationjordan

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:20 AM

DEAR TOM 

THANKS

BUT PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT THIS ARTICLE SPECIALLY Battery temperature controls

http://articles.sae.org/11705/

#11 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

I have seen that article. One thing that is wrong is that there is really only 5.5kWh available for EV operation and not the 6.5kWh stated in the article.

It is true as the article states that temperature controls start limiting EV functionality above 113ºF. It also indicates that tat should be well within the range to protect the HVB from damage. Unfortunately that has not been my experience. It was directly following a hot summer in 2015 where the HVB hit the 113ºF limit several times and was often well above 100ºf that I quickly experienced over 1kWh loss in capacity. It is my belief that there is a direct relationship to the heating of the HVB and the loss of capacity seen. Since then I have prevented this same overheat condition to occur and have not see much additional capacity loss.

If you experience high HVB temperatures and don't see HVB capacity losses please keep us informed. All input is good wether it proves my theory or not.

• bdginmo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·