Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Power Steering Failure 186,000 miles

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Middleofnowhere

Middleofnowhere

Eating steak and making cows into Energi seats...

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationInland Empire, California
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

Just an update as I probably have one of the higher mileage Energi cars out there. 186,000 approximate mile power steering went out. It was 04:00 on my way to work and I had about 30- miles to go. I made it, steering was very stiff, but not impossible. Later in day I went to drive car to Ford dealership and steering was fine. I chalked it up to another quirk and continued driving for a couple days. Early in the morning on way to work 3-days later, same fault occurs. I drove to dealership. $1400 later and new steering rack assembly. I guess there is a fault in the system with cooling. It is a sealed system, with heat, the grease inside can dry up and cause a circuit to overheat.

Anyway, that is my car update.

I'm still hoping to make 250K, car is fine other than problems listed below.

So far multiple sets of tires
New transmission
Power steering
12V Battery

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   malaugh

malaugh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

I have 38K miles on my car, and started to have problems with the steering.  When I start the car, the steering is very stiff, then about 3 seconds later the power steering starts to work, and the car is fine.  This happens about once every three starts.   I took it to the dealer but they said they could not reproduce the problem.  The car only has 2 months warranty left so if I need a new steering rack I want it done before the warranty expires.

Any thoughts?

#3 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMilwaukee
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Explorer

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

Was your transmission replaced under warranty? Any idea on the cause? I'm interested in running my cmax into the ground, bought it at 15k and almost to 20k 4 months later

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

Just an update as I probably have one of the higher mileage Energi cars out there. 186,000 approximate mile power steering went out. It was 04:00 on my way to work and I had about 30- miles to go. I made it, steering was very stiff, but not impossible. Later in day I went to drive car to Ford dealership and steering was fine. I chalked it up to another quirk and continued driving for a couple days. Early in the morning on way to work 3-days later, same fault occurs. I drove to dealership. $1400 later and new steering rack assembly. I guess there is a fault in the system with cooling. It is a sealed system, with heat, the grease inside can dry up and cause a circuit to overheat.

Anyway, that is my car update.

I'm still hoping to make 250K, car is fine other than problems listed below.

So far multiple sets of tires
New transmission
Power steering
12V Battery

I don't know I would consider tires and 12v batt. as problems, just normal wear and replacement. :smile2:

I have 38K miles on my car, and started to have problems with the steering.  When I start the car, the steering is very stiff, then about 3 seconds later the power steering starts to work, and the car is fine.  This happens about once every three starts.   I took it to the dealer but they said they could not reproduce the problem.  The car only has 2 months warranty left so if I need a new steering rack I want it done before the warranty expires.

Any thoughts?

I would extend your Warranty to be on the safe side.  Try raising your tire pressure to 50psi. :smile2:

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 08 March 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

Here is my power steering failure only 6 months to the day into ownership.  Guess what was the culprit?  HIGH HEAT driving.

http://fordcmaxenerg...eat/#entry11999

Edited by altabrig, 18 May 2017 - 09:21 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Explorer

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:34 AM

Recently experienced my first 95 degree day with the car here in Wisconsin. After about a 40 mile round trip, I park in the garage. 2 hours later I back out for work and have no power steering. A quick turn off/on remedies the problem. Should I expect more issues? Or was this a one time problem due to the hot day?

#7 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:41 AM

It was 108 when ours went out. Be careful.

#8 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:21 AM

There have been many posts in the past that people were in aux (not on) and rolled out. You have brakes but no ps I think.

Bob

#9 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

Recently experienced my first 95 degree day with the car here in Wisconsin. After about a 40 mile round trip, I park in the garage. 2 hours later I back out for work and have no power steering. A quick turn off/on remedies the problem. Should I expect more issues? Or was this a one time problem due to the hot day?

I live in a hot climate area with days recently exceeding 90ºf. I have never had a power steering problem. In the event you have the problem again to note the warning light indicators. I agree with Bob that maybe the car was not actually in run mode.

Tom

• ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·