Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

What do I do now? It's dead again....ugh!

battery charging car deaad

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JameyD

JameyD

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationColumbia, TN, 38401
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:48 AM

Well...here I am again writing a post about the 12v battery. The last time I posted, the car was dead "out of the blue" and after many suggestions...I ended up at the dealer spending $170 to have the 12v battery replaced. It was time and somewhat worth it. I thought we were out the storm, but lo and behold....this morning the car is doing some weird thing again. So get ready all you helpful people, I need you again:

The wife went to leave for work this morning and when she got into the car....the lights were flickering. Everything on the car was flickering. I quickly got my battery charger hooked up to the car and it started to recover, but not before other strange behavior. There was a message on the sync saying something about saving battery and there is a wrench that shows on the dash and a message saying to see manual. I said it last time that I have really liked this car, but I am starting to get nervous with all this electrical stuff going on. Any thoughts on what is going on would be much appreciated.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:39 AM

I posted a thread a month ago on this. I had no start issues and after doing a lot of reading I replaced the battery. It wasn't but a week or so before I experienced the same thing. I did get flickering with no start. I did some more reading and read a lot of guesses as to what was going on. The best I was able to determine was that something that should be shutting down wasn't and draining the battery. 

Thinking about what I did differently the only thing I came up with is the door slide locks. When I first got the car out of habit I always used the remote. I start using the door touch locks. I never did like how they worked. Sometimes I would have to touch and slide a few times to get them to work, either lock or open. My wife's works great. 

I started unlocking and locking with the remote thinking the door locks weren't shutting something down perhaps. It's all guess work but I've had zero issues since doing that. I suppose I could have the Ford garage do a diagnosis on this but I wasn't ready to pay for that right now. I would think they could see whether or not everything that should shut down is shutting down when using auto locks. 

I never did find a definitive answer. It's working for me right now. 

Edited by Perry Knopp, 04 March 2017 - 05:40 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   JameyD

JameyD

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

I posted a thread a month ago on this. I had no start issues and after doing a lot of reading I replaced the battery. It wasn't but a week or so before I experienced the same thing. I did get flickering with no start. I did some more reading and read a lot of guesses as to what was going on. The best I was able to determine was that something that should be shutting down wasn't and draining the battery. 

Thinking about what I did differently the only thing I came up with is the door slide locks. When I first got the car out of habit I always used the remote. I start using the door touch locks. I never did like how they worked. Sometimes I would have to touch and slide a few times to get them to work, either lock or open. My wife's works great. 

I started unlocking and locking with the remote thinking the door locks weren't shutting something down perhaps. It's all guess work but I've had zero issues since doing that. I suppose I could have the Ford garage do a diagnosis on this but I wasn't ready to pay for that right now. I would think they could see whether or not everything that should shut down is shutting down when using auto locks. 

I never did find a definitive answer. It's working for me right now. 

I don't use the locks at all while in the garage, but you are right....it could be some other drain. It seems there is a flaw of some sort. Thanks for the input..

#4 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

I don't use the locks at all while in the garage, but you are right....it could be some other drain. It seems there is a flaw of some sort. Thanks for the input..

I figured that *maybe* the act of locking the car was making sure whatever wasn't shutting down gets shut down. I would think a dealer could put a car on their computer and try a few things and check this. I also have to think one (or more) have as this isn't a super rare problem. I've not been able to find a report where it was done though.

It's what I would ask the dealer to do if I run into the problem again.

#5 OFFLINE   JameyD

JameyD

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

I figured that *maybe* the act of locking the car was making sure whatever wasn't shutting down gets shut down. I would think a dealer could put a car on their computer and try a few things and check this. I also have to think one (or more) have as this isn't a super rare problem. I've not been able to find a report where it was done though.

It's what I would ask the dealer to do if I run into the problem again.

Ahhh... I understand. It's definitely something to try...thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

The blinking thing is caused by the battery being low.  It makes weird things happen but the car is OK not a problem as long as the battery voltage is up.  The drain is from something remote, not sure what it is, but something is draining the battery.  You need to find the root cause of the issue.  Don't worry about the blinking lights and wrench, those will all go away once the battery issue is fixed.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   JameyD

JameyD

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

The blinking thing is caused by the battery being low.  It makes weird things happen but the car is OK not a problem as long as the battery voltage is up.  The drain is from something remote, not sure what it is, but something is draining the battery.  You need to find the root cause of the issue.  Don't worry about the blinking lights and wrench, those will all go away once the battery issue is fixed.

-=>Raja.

Thanks....that makes me feel better...kind of...lol. It is a bit disconcerting that I never know when an issue is going to pop up. I hope the dealer can find the issue. Thanks again

#8 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

I bought one of the small battery boosters. It's small enough to fit under the seat. Is that a good solution? No, but I know that if it happens I'm not stuck. 

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

I heard from Tom its not good, the little battery booster thing but depends on which one you got.  He can elaborate.

-=>Raja.

#10 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

About 3 months ago, after 2.25 years, I had a flat battery. The dealer looked it over, replaced the battery, and did a TSB that was for the battery (probably the same one the C-Max hybrid uses, but I don't own the car any more). It worked fine after that for the few months I owned it before trading.

Anyway, you might ask about the battery TSB.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery, charging, car deaad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·