Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Question to the people who lost capacity in the HVB.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

When you charge your car, can you sometime take a look while actively charging to see if the battery jumps to 100% charge before it actually gets there?  So let's say its charging if you turn on the MFT screen and check the charge level, says 90%.  Next you see 91%, then 92% then 93% then all of a sudden 100%.  Skips over 94-99%.

Do you guys see that and I wonder is it lower the less capacity the battery has?  Maybe you can reply post what capacity you have and at what % it jumps to 100% if it does actually do so?

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 03 March 2017 - 08:30 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

I'll try when I get a chance. I'll have to find the proper screen. LOL

#3 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 378 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

It seems our range is less than it used to be.  Highest I see nowadays is 18 miles.....

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

I'm not asking range as it can vary between people driving.  KWH out and if the battery jumps to 100% sooner than expected.  You can use the MFT screen on the right and click into the leaf icon to see the actually HVB charge level.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 03 March 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 381 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

I have 42,000 miles on my 2013 about 1/2 on EV I have noticed that charging on 110 takes about 4 1/2 hours now.  

#6 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 378 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:21 AM

I'm not asking range as it can vary between people driving.  KWH out and if the battery jumps to 100% sooner than expected.  You can use the MFT screen on the right and click into the leaf icon to see the actually HVB charge level.

-=>Raja.

Didn't know that.  I'll try to check when I get to use the car as my wife uses it to work most of the time.  I haven't changed my driving style for the most part, so the decreased range should mean something though....

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Has anyone had a chance to answer this question yet?  Some replies here but no values yet, interested to hear what other people are seeing in their vehicles.

-=>Raja.

#8 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 378 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

So an interesting thing happened yesterday, my wife pulled the plug early, before the car was going to be done charging.  I am thinking maybe 30 minutes early, but yesterday was a busy day so I can't remember exactly.  I checked MFM on my phone right after and the car was at 94%.  This morning I decided to go back to the car and watch the meter as I charged the rest of the way.  Low and behold, when I plugged the charger in (240V) and got in and turned on the MFT, it noted 99%.  I did it quickly so it shouldn't have changed more than 1 %, it noted start of 6:54 am and a finish time of 7:05 am.  It actually finished right around 7:06 am.

I'm thinking the battery has started building an internal resistance and finishes charging early at 240V....

So I looked on myfordmobile.com "Trip & Charge Log":

Yesterday 7:16 to 8:44 am  1 hr 28 minutes reached 94%

Today 6:54 to 7:06 am  12 minutes reached 100%, but started at 99% state of charge when I started charging.

Yesterday it noted on my phone 17 miles.  After the full charge on my computer 19 miles.

Hope this helps...

Found March 3 my wife used 4.1 kWh energy on her drive to work 17.6 miles ev and 20.6 miles total.  Brake score 87% Drive score 69.  47106 miles driven.  I'm guessing half EV.

Edited by jzchen, 05 March 2017 - 07:31 AM.

• bdginmo likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

So an interesting thing happened yesterday, my wife pulled the plug early, before the car was going to be done charging.  I am thinking maybe 30 minutes early, but yesterday was a busy day so I can't remember exactly.  I checked MFM on my phone right after and the car was at 94%.  This morning I decided to go back to the car and watch the meter as I charged the rest of the way.  Low and behold, when I plugged the charger in (240V) and got in and turned on the MFT, it noted 99%.  I did it quickly so it shouldn't have changed more than 1 %, it noted start of 6:54 am and a finish time of 7:05 am.  It actually finished right around 7:06 am.

I'm thinking the battery has started building an internal resistance and finishes charging early at 240V....

So I looked on myfordmobile.com "Trip & Charge Log":

Yesterday 7:16 to 8:44 am  1 hr 28 minutes reached 94%

Today 6:54 to 7:06 am  12 minutes reached 100%, but started at 99% state of charge when I started charging.

Yesterday it noted on my phone 17 miles.  After the full charge on my computer 19 miles.

Hope this helps...

Found March 3 my wife used 4.1 kWh energy on her drive to work 17.6 miles ev and 20.6 miles total.  Brake score 87% Drive score 69.  47106 miles driven.  I'm guessing half EV.

If a full charge is 4.1kWh that is about the same as my HVB capacity. The hour and 40 minutes to reach a full charge also matches my rate to obtain a full charge. Note that as the HVB gets closer to full, the actual charge rate will slow down so those last few percent will take a bit longer that than the same amount of energy earlier in the charge cycle.

Tom

• jzchen likes this

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Tom, if you are only putting 4.1kwh into the battery while recharging, are you jumping in charge level on the MFT screen from say around 80% right to 100%?

On your next charge from empty, 1 hour 30 minutes into the charge, turn on the MFT screen (but not the car itself) and see charge level, guessing around 75%.  Then watch it tick over to 76, 77, 78, etc.  Does it at some point suddenly jump to 100%?  That's my question.

I recharged my car the other day on 240v and it took 2 hours 2 minutes.  I remember it used to be 2 hours 10 minutes when it was new.

-=>Raja.

#11 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

Drive into work this morning. Headlights and seat warmer on. 43 degrees. 20.1 miles. 2.6 regen. Kicked into Hybrid just before getting to work but ICE did not kick in. 5 kwh.

I'm off for a week after Thursday. Hopefully I can find the time to watch how it charges.

#12 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 378 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

If a full charge is 4.1kWh that is about the same as my HVB capacity. The hour and 40 minutes to reach a full charge also matches my rate to obtain a full charge. Note that as the HVB gets closer to full, the actual charge rate will slow down so those last few percent will take a bit longer that than the same amount of energy earlier in the charge cycle.

Tom

Yes, I agree there is a tapering of charge rate as the battery fills and the resistance increases.  strange though how it notes 94% after charging, but the next day is at 99%...

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

It tapers off only at the end when the cell voltage reaches the charge level limit, then it just starts reducing the current into the cells while holding the cell voltage pegged at the limit until the current is down to zero and then its done.

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

Tom, if you are only putting 4.1kwh into the battery while recharging, are you jumping in charge level on the MFT screen from say around 80% right to 100%?

On your next charge from empty, 1 hour 30 minutes into the charge, turn on the MFT screen (but not the car itself) and see charge level, guessing around 75%.  Then watch it tick over to 76, 77, 78, etc.  Does it at some point suddenly jump to 100%?  That's my question.

I recharged my car the other day on 240v and it took 2 hours 2 minutes.  I remember it used to be 2 hours 10 minutes when it was new.

-=>Raja.

Raja, I had a chance to monitor the charge systole this afternoon.

I went out and used the whole pack running errands this morning and only got 3.7kWh out of the HVB. At the next to the last stop there was a mile or so left in the HVB but when I came out of the store it went right to hybrid mode.

I have been monitoring the charge this afternoon. The HVB temperature is currently 84ºf. The charge is normal for about the first hour and got to 90% on the MFT screen. I started monitoring the AMPs noted that the readings start dropping when the MFT SOC gets to 90%. From 92 to 93% it took 2.5 minutes and the current flow dropped to 2.58amps. from 93 to 94% took over 5 minutes and the current dropped to 1.2amps. before getting to 95% the current dropped to zero. Within a couple of minutes I got a message that the car was fully charged.

Checked MFM and noted the car shows 100% charged and it took 1hr and 35 minutes to charge.

I check the lights on my charger and it still shows charging even though all the lights have gone out on the charge ring. I don't see much of any current in the AMP gauge.

Went back out the the car and MFT is now showing the SOC at 100%. My ScanGauge is showing 87.9%. I will check it later because it usually shows about 95% after a full charge. The module voltages show 4.04V.

I will have to do more details tests to determine if my capacity has dropped a bit more than I thought.

Tom Doe

Attached Files

#15 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

After a couple of hours I checked again and the the charger has now shut down although I do not know when that occurred. The ScanGauge shows the SOC at 94.8% and MFT still shows the SOC of 100%. This is about what I have been seeing for a long time when the HVB is full. 

Tom

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

So from empty to 1 hour charge you reached 90% on the MFT screen?

Usually the battery charges about 50% at hour.  90% in 1 hour is really fast.

So what you're saying is that at 95% on the MFT it suddenly jumps to 100% and you get the fully charged message, right?

I thought it might jump sooner to 100% and if your scangage showed 87% then it makes some sense to me as to what I'm trying to determine.

-=>Raja.

#17 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:08 AM

Yes the jump to 100% was from about 95%. I did not sit in the car to observe it happening but I did observe that at 95% the charge cycle had dropped to very little current flow. The amount of current was consistent with just having the car on while not charging. My charge light in charger box was on for some time after the charge lights went out and I got the full charge message.

I am wondering if theScanGauge SOC reading 87% going to 94.8% was also a jump like the MFT screen jumping from 95 to 100%. 

Tom

#18 OFFLINE   CRH

CRH

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

I have 42,000 miles on my 2013 about 1/2 on EV I have noticed that charging on 110 takes about 4 1/2 hours now.  

In the beginning, my 14nrg can get charged for as much as 5:25 when it's warm in the day when driving and cool at night when charging. During this winter (garage is warm when charging while cold when driving), the worst I got is something like 4:45, but can still get 5:00 during warm days. Really need to compare with the same temperature.

#19 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 378 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

Went out with about 8 minutes left. Turned on the green leaf and it showed 99%, with 8 or so minutes left....

#20 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

8 minutes out of what?

What I really wanted to know is that if it jumps from 90 something directly to 100%, and if the value of 90 something correlates to the HVB status, meaning how good or bad it is.  The worst it is the lower the number before the jump to 100%.  

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·