Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Battery Display - Differentiate Between EV and Hybrid Charge?

18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mitchfx

mitchfx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi SEL

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:05 AM

New owner of 2016 SEL here. So far I'm loving this baby for my 60mi round trip commute, especially since my office provides 240v and 120v charging stations.

Here is what I'm not fully clear on...for the battery level display on the instrument panel, is there an obvious way to discern between the EV and Hybrid charge level? From what I can tell it shows the EV battery level while in that mode the quietly switches to displaying the hybrid charge once the EV power is depleted. However it's not obvious to me at first glance which one I'm looking at due to the icon and color being pretty much identical. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious? It would be great to show both battery charge levels at the same time but guessing that isn't possible.

M

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:18 AM

EV battery is bigger, mine has miles range to empty inside of it.  Now I think they took that out.

Hybrid battery is always full until EV battery is flat (technically speaking) if you drive from full EV to empty and switch to hybrid.  There is a slight variation if you use EV later while EV battery is not empty.

Hybrid battery is smaller, if you compare the two think AA size for EV and AAA for hybrid.  Hybrid battery has no miles range inside of it. 

Hope that helps.  

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 15 February 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

As Raja said, the EV battery has a "3d" look, while hybrid one is flat, a bot smaller, and has white outline. 2016 models have no mileage on the battery, but there is an EV mileage display at the bottom of the right screen - "hybrid" range is in white and, if you still have EV charge, there is a "+ XXmi" text in blue.

#4 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

If you press the EV button you'll see that EV+Now and EV+Later are X'd out when it has switched to hybrid mode.

#5 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationKy between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-max Energi, Prius, Lexus

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

Hope this is the right thread for my question, The HV battery level displays in the left screen till it is depleted and then switches to the hybrid battery level and shows the level of the hybrid battery. Since I explored the MFM and some of the settings, don't know if I changed something, but the HV battery level displays as always in the left screen till it is depleted, but now when it switches to the hybrid battery display, it shows the battery level empty. I still have hybrid available and can run on hybrid, the display always shows empty. Any idea of what I changed or how do I get the hybrid battery display to show the state of charge again?

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Can you take a picture of that and post it?

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Here's the best I can do while driving, as you can see I am running on EV even though there is no charge showing in the hybrid battery display.

Attached Files

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

That's weird, I've never encountered that before with any other member here or in my cars.  My first thought would be to disconnect the 12v battery and wait a minute, put it back on and let the car relearn the coach bars and see if for some reason that will fix the hybrid battery.

If you are in the Empower screen, when driving on the HVB and its getting empty, do you start with 4 bars of battery and slowly tick down to 2 bars before finally ticking down to around 1 bar where the engine would start?

-=>Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:19 AM

If you are in the Empower screen, when driving on the HVB and its getting empty, do you start with 4 bars of battery and slowly tick down to 2 bars before finally ticking down to around 1 bar where the engine would start?

-=>Raja.

Yes, when using the HVB, the screen shows the state of charge and it goes down as it is used, it then switches to the Hybrid battery icon and it shows empty even though I can run on EV. On the way home yesterday, I thought about disconnecting the 12V and see if that works. I'll try it and report back next time I go out. Thank you for the reply.

I just noticed that in the picture, I'm using the Engage screen, I'll try the Empower screen. Later.

Edited by Milkman, 24 November 2017 - 05:22 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

I disconnected the 12V for two minutes and reconnected. I drove with the full HVB in the Empower screen and when the HVB was depleted, the display switched from the HVB icon to the Hybrid battery icon and it's still showing empty. The battery icon is blue when it is charged and no blue when empty. I was still showing that I was running on EV. I'm at a loss.

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Did the 4 bars slowly tick down to 3 then to 2 before the engine started or did it immediately drop to less than 2 bars and start the engine once the HVB hit 0%?

-=>Raja.

#12 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

What is the bars, the solid blue battery emblem gradually drops as I drive till it is depleted, then the HV battery emblem changes to the Hybrid battery emblem and it has no blue color at all, just like it looks when empty.

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

In the empower screen you should see up to 4 bars or available battery while the HVB is not empty. When it is drained to 0%, you will see the 4 bars slowly drop as you transition into hybrid mode. This is the normal operation, wondering if you see this or not?

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

I just drove this morning and I saw what you were referring to in the Empower screen. The graph on the left of that screen does show 4 bars till the HV battery is depleted then it gradually drops as the Hybrid battery is depleted. The battery icon on the right of that screen when running on the Hybrid battery shows no charge at all even though the graph to the left is working as it should. I just don't know why I lost that blue indicator in the battery icon on the right of that screen. It was there before I poked around in the MFM screen, I must have changed something. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Milkman, 25 November 2017 - 06:15 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:33 AM

Ok, I got an idea now.  Go to the right (with right arrow) on the left screen display options and turn on battery related things. 

I just looked, go to Settings, Display, Battery Display, and turn that option ON.  Let me know if that works for you.

-=>Raja.  

#16 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

You're the C-Max guru, I think I found the settings in "my view", I found one battery display turned off so I turned it on and will see it that was it next time I drive tomorrow. Thanks for sticking in there, still have lots to learn.

#17 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

IT WORKS!!!!! I have my Hybrid battery icon working again, it shows the charge level. In the Empower mode, the scale at the left of the screen also shows the Hybrid battery charge level. I have an appointment in the morning to check the alignment, and set if necessary, then tomorrow afternoon to get the windshield replaced. 

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

Excellent Bill, Happy to hear about it!!

I'm going to pickup some gas today, my Angel is out, came home last night with 14 miles left of gas.  Its a good thing we have a HVB, as it alleviates alot of the tension of running low on gas.  Save your battery for later, use the gas earlier when low in case you run out you can always continue on battery for several more miles on the hunt for a gas station.

-=>Raja.

#19 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

I sure appreciate your help, Thanks