Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Sawtooth Inside Edge of Rear Tires

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 521 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

There is another thread specifically on alignment, with question about camber for a 2015.  I do not know much about how an alignment is done, but the receipt shows a term called "eccentrics" and someone linked an "eccentric" part number, that I'm assuming could be used to adjust that item, (the camber eccentric is the one I believed linked to.  Again, I am not a mechanic, although I do work on cars, but know very little about trying to align one.)  As someone noted to me, (who has had very good experience with working on cars,) if it were camber, then the inside or outside edge of the tire would wear quicker than the opposing edge.  I am not seeing that.  I am seeing sawtooth, cupping, or a combination of both.  This is due to a toe issue as he so kindly explained.  The left rear tire is "trying to turn" but is forced to follow the the other wheels...  (He did not really cover caster.)

Anyways, I told and tried to show my wife the issue, and told her she could bring it back or have another shop take a shot at aligning it.  She decided to bring it back, and had me talk to the adviser on the phone.  I explained the issue as it was a different person, and asked about getting an alignment print out.  It is noted on the work order that I did not receive one last time.  They are going to check the alignment again, as well as inspect for any possible damage.

I will post what they find.

Thanks again Paul!

Sincerely,
Jesse

Edited by jzchen, 13 February 2017 - 09:11 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

I wanted to chronicle the tire wear issue by taking a picture of each tire before I left the dealership. (Got a print out this time showing it was off and now in spec nicely!!!)

Jagged wear seems gone even before I left the dealership!

Attached Files

#23 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

I'm shocked that you can see jagged wear there and jagged wear gone, like within 2 miles?  I mean from your post above, you had jagged wear, you got the dealer to redo the alignment, and perhaps they drove it if any (maybe even not) to test it after doing the alignment, and all your wear comes and goes in an instant?  Man I'm going to call you eagle eyes!

-=>Raja.

#24 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:31 AM

I'm shocked that you can see jagged wear there and jagged wear gone, like within 2 miles?  I mean from your post above, you had jagged wear, you got the dealer to redo the alignment, and perhaps they drove it if any (maybe even not) to test it after doing the alignment, and all your wear comes and goes in an instant?  Man I'm going to call you eagle eyes!

-=>Raja.

This is in line with my earlier statement that once the car gets a proper alignment, the tires go back to normal quickly.  It has been my experience in the past.  So once I had that, I could tell if a shop really did a proper alignment.  (I've taken a car from one shop to another to another to another until I finally got an alignment print out within spec!)

I did not post pictures before I had my wife "deal with it".  I was depressed.  I could see issues with the front tires quite readily just by looking at them at a glance, after the first alignment.  They started the sawtooth on the outside edge as well.  The only tire that "seemed happy" was the right rear tire.  I have been telling my wife I was ready to give up the car, which is what I was honestly feeling.  Now I've been asking the rhetorical question, can I take my W201 Mercedes/all our cars to that Ford dealer to get an alignment!

I'm going to try to post a before and after from a Yelp, IIRC, 5 star alignment shop.....  (Quite depresssing!)

Edited by jzchen, 15 February 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:45 AM

My driveway is white cement.  If you look carefully at the first two pictures I posted, you can follow the white and see where there are issues.  They are opposite the position on the car I'm afraid.  So the right tire is on the left, and the left on the right.  The left rear tire had the issue I originally reported.  You can see where the white disappears to a dark area on the tread, alternating back and forth.  The right side is much less, but if you look at the inside edge towards the bottom, you can see where the white to black sidewall, making a "ring", around the diameter of the tire is not continuous.  It is slightly having an issue.

They looked worse in person.  My camera sucks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·