Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Sawtooth Inside Edge of Rear Tires

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 521 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

One rainy day my wife called me on the phone and I had to try to help her find the defrost button.  While working on this she could not see well, and on making a left hand turn she cut/hit the island.  Inspection revealed no physical damage to the car/body.  A couple months or so later I am seeing a sawtooth edge on the inside edges of the two rear tires.  (I noticed a feeling driving on the driveway of our home like there was a bulge on a tire, and checked all four).

Please advise on what may be the issue, and resolution.  Thank you, and take care.

Edited by jzchen, 27 January 2017 - 04:38 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

What exactly do you mean, can you post some pictures?

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 467 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:03 AM

Sounds like it is shock/strut or alignment look here

http://brownsalignme...ires/tire-wear/

tire-feathering-Cupping.jpg

• jzchen likes this

#4 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Tried to attach pics from my phone....

Attached Files

Edited by jzchen, 28 January 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

Having a hard time with the user interface on my phone.  But I wanted to say thank you for looking into this!!!

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

Get an alignment done and make sure to rotate tires more often, I do mine even 10k miles, now at 63200 miles original tires.

-=>Raja.

• jzchen likes this

#7 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

Raising the tire pressure to 50 psi will lessen the edge problem and make the tires last longer. Both sets of  Michelin's  lasted 64+k mi. on my CMAX. :smile2:

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

At 38 PSI I've noticed wonderfully even tread wear, until the last dealer service where they were supposed to rotate the tires with oil change.  It seemed they didn't, so I brought it to America's Tire to have them rotated.  Maybe they did rotate them, and I ended up rotating them back!  The front tires are smooth/wearing nicely.  (My pictures aren't very good, more noticeable issue in person...)  Will look into good place for alignment.  I haven't really found one around me, to be honest.  Even the ones with excellent Yelp reviews sometimes.  I've tried two for another vehicle.  I do have the tires rotated every 10k miles.  Tread wear has been nice and even on all four until recently, maybe due to hitting the island.  (I could hear the noise when it happened over the phone.)

Thank you everyone for the advice.  I really appreciate it!

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

Hitting the island goes back to "get an alignment" I'm sure it should help.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

At 38 PSI I've noticed wonderfully even tread wear, until the last dealer service where they were supposed to rotate the tires with oil change.  It seemed they didn't, so I brought it to America's Tire to have them rotated.  Maybe they did rotate them, and I ended up rotating them back!  The front tires are smooth/wearing nicely.  (My pictures aren't very good, more noticeable issue in person...)  Will look into good place for alignment.  I haven't really found one around me, to be honest.  Even the ones with excellent Yelp reviews sometimes.  I've tried two for another vehicle.  I do have the tires rotated every 10k miles.  Tread wear has been nice and even on all four until recently, maybe due to hitting the island.  (I could hear the noise when it happened over the phone.)

Thank you everyone for the advice.  I really appreciate it!

On tread wear with 64+ mi. at 50psi there was only 1/32" difference with the inside having the least. :smile2:

Paul

#11 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

Got the tires rotated at America's Tire, and the associate there said alignment as well. Asked for their recommendation and got dealer. Called the two nearest and chose one. Had the alignment done! I really like the way the car has been driving, so I hope this turns out well. The car feels more planted after the alignment....

Thanks again. I will let you know the results down the road. May take some time though....

#12 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

So as an update I checked the tire pressures this morning as I usually do the morning after a service.  One of the two places, or both, adjusted the tire pressures for me, down to 33 to 34 PSI.  (Not exactly, as my digital gauge only measures x.5 or x.0.) I pumped them back up to 38.5 PSI.  I was worried the stability I was feeling was due to increased negative camber, which would put even more stress on the inside edges of the tires, but maybe it's due to decreased pressure.  I didn't get to drive it this morning with the adjusted pressures, my wife took it to work.....

Thanks everyone!  (Hoping it isn't the balancing....)

On a side note I was hoping to get a print out of the alignment before and after, but the technician who came out to bring me the car said they didn't give me one because it was only slightly off.  (The SA earlier noted when they called to have me pick up the car "oh yeah" when I asked if it needed an alignment...)

Edited by jzchen, 31 January 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:46 AM

So I got a chance to drive it yesterday, and got some freeway time.  It is driving smooth as always.  I took a look at the front and rear tires.  The right rear inside edge is starting to develop cupping as komondor kindly posted.  I did not look carefully at the right rear...

So problem not solved yet.  I am eagerly waiting for a service department to open to possibly bring it back...

Thanks again everyone.  Sorry for the bad news...

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:58 AM

I hate to say it but the cupping might be old news.  I mean you JUST got an alignment a few days back and you take it out on 1 ride on the freeway and you think you can see wear in the tires already?  Usually that takes at least some hundreds of miles to show and maybe over a thousand before it might even become noticeable.  You know what I mean?

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#15 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

I hate to say it but the cupping might be old news.  I mean you JUST got an alignment a few days back and you take it out on 1 ride on the freeway and you think you can see wear in the tires already?  Usually that takes at least some hundreds of miles to show and maybe over a thousand before it might even become noticeable.  You know what I mean?

-=>Raja.

I also agree with rbout, it takes thousands of miles, it would nice to put inside of tires on outside of rims to get a better idea to whats going on. I think it took 10K miles before tires got quieter. :(

Paul

#16 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:57 AM

From experience wear issues go away really quick when a proper alignment is done.  The uneven edge wears out the sharp surfaces/higher surfaces.  My wife takes the car to work about 3 times a week, about 20 miles one way, or 40 miles round trip.  I think my posts haven't been clear and I apologize for this as I have just reread some of them.  This is primarily my wife's car.  So when I picked it up from the alignment I said I'd drive it to see how it feels.  I waited until the next morning when the tires were cool to adjust the pressures and found them low about 4 PSI.  (I had the tires rotated first, then brought it to the dealer directly to have the alignment done...)

I'm afraid these were the front tires that I had moved back, (and watched them do the rotation,) at America's Tire.  So these were the tires with smooth surfaces from the front/no wear issues.  Also, I drove straight to the alignment that morning, about 5.7 miles.  I don't think the tires had enough mileage to wear like that in 5.7 miles.  (I think I did check the rear tires when all the work done and they were smooth.)  Now the front tires are smooth.

I did realize I made a mistake in my last post.  It is the left rear tire, wearing on the inside (right) edge, that looks more like cupping than it does sawtooth.  The right rear tire inside edge looks pretty good as I took another look yesterday after I posted.

Thank you for all the advice.  I am sorry if I wasn't clear.

(Now that I recall, I had the McGard wheel lock key with me, the dealer could not have rotated the "bad" tires back to the rear.?  I asked a tech as I was walking out of the SAs' office whether they'd need the lock as I had forgotten to give it to the service adviser, and he noted they didn't need it for the alignment.)

The car has always driven wonderfully smooth from when we bought it, to when I noticed the strange wear on the tires.  It seemed like there might be a bulge in one of the tires as I was driving on the driveway at slow speed, so that is when I looked at the treads and noticed the uneven wear.

Edited by jzchen, 12 February 2017 - 06:04 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

Sigh.

I went to take a more careful inspection this morning and show the wife the issue.  Front left and right are sawtooth.  Rear left is sawtooth/cupped, and rear right is mildly sawtooth.  I'm beginning to feel unhappy with the alignment job....

#18 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:43 AM

Looking at your thread depth indicators it does look like you are wearing more on the outside of tire, I would definitely running 50 psi to make for more even wear.  When I had the alignment problem my tires looked worse and I went to 50psi to make my tires last longer.  I Talked to Michelin and they said it was fine to run tires at 50psi cold. :smile2: Tire do tend to get noisier as thread depth get down to replacement depth. :(  

Paul 

#19 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:27 PM

Looking at your thread depth indicators it does look like you are wearing more on the outside of tire, I would definitely running 50 psi to make for more even wear.  When I had the alignment problem my tires looked worse and I went to 50psi to make my tires last longer.  I Talked to Michelin and they said it was fine to run tires at 50psi cold. :smile2: Tire do tend to get noisier as thread depth get down to replacement depth. :(  

Paul 

Thank you for the concern.  I could feel the difference between my usual 38 PSI to 33/34 PSI, about 12% less.  I can't imagine how harsh the ride might feel to us at 50 PSI, 31.6% increase.  I believe 50 PSI is the MAX allowable cold pressure, which means it should be okay to use that pressure.  Tread wear looked really even before the sawtooth and cupping.  I really don't think that pressure difference would fix the strange wear.  I need to get the wheels tracking straight again...  Then I can update on whether the 38 PSI is actually low, or not.

Anyways, I have two courses of action to take now.  The dealership I chose to have the alignment done at was at $69.95 with 1 year warranty.  I think the other was about $20 dollars more with no warranty of any sort.  I chose the cheaper.  I can now bring it back there, but I'm a little suspicious as to why I didn't get a printout, and the tires are starting to wear worse it seems.  I don't think bringing it back there will lead to alignment was not done properly, but something along the lines of some kind of suspension damage/repair.  But, they should have done an inspection in the first place and let me know if they found anything bent/damaged from the hit.  (No wheel damage as far as I can tell visually inspecting the outer surface, where damage would most likely occur on such an incident.)  The car is still running nice and smooth like it always had, and I did not notice any funny feeling driving slow in the driveway, on my day with the car on Friday.  The other choice is to try another alignment somewhere else first?...

Thank you Paul.  I am sorry if I don't follow the 50 PSI for now...

Sincerely,
Jesse

Edited by jzchen, 12 February 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:54 AM

I really didn't notice much of a difference in ride running 50psi (51psi is Max cold), it handles and brakes great. Camber isn't adjustable in the back, they have to replace upper arm to change camber. I took a picture of mine when the Dealer replaced it, I would have to do some digging to find it. :smile2:

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·