Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Plug ring design flaw

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Rain collects in the bottom of the blue ring, and doesn't really ever "drain" out. It will evaporate and dry, and I can slide a paper towel under the ring to soak up water - but just left to itself the water just sits there, if its a rainy day it will never dry out. I am worried about road grime and dirt adding to the sitting rain water and making a sludge at the bottom of the ring...

photojan10093355.jpg

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   mremelman

mremelman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi / 2004 Honda CRV / 1987 Chevy Suburban 6.5TD 3/4 ton 4x4

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

So has anyone figured out how to turn off the visual feedback from the charge ring, when the car is charging?

I park my car outside, charger is exterior model from Leviton.  It turns out that the pulsing

blue light is just too tempting for teenagers to walk past late at night without messing with it.

I have video surveylance of my parking place and charger.  Got a great video of a young man

coming up next to the house, looking around, then trying to figure out how to unplug the car.

He eventually figured it out, and ran away. 

Now I could rig the handle to deliver a shock to anyone trying to mess with it without disarming...

But I think it would be better to have the option to turn off the stupid light ring...

#3 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

I believe MFT 3.5 has the option.

#4 OFFLINE   Ryan McEachern

Ryan McEachern

• 118 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationMaple Ridge, BC, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yes, there are three options for the plug lighting on the MFT menu for my car, Feb, 2013 build.

On
Limited
Off

#5 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationAlbuquerque
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

That's great to hear.  But it's also another reason to be upset about not having the latest MFT.

• fwroberts likes this

#6 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

I hear ya Rob! I'm waitin too...

#7 OFFLINE   jeffegg2

jeffegg2

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationwestland, mi.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

There is a fuse just for the ring. I removed the fuse on mine. I don't feel the need for it, and don't want to be an attraction at night.

#8 OFFLINE   Shorttack

Shorttack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationWestport, MA; Savannah, GA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi 303A

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Another flaw is the rubber shield above the charging receptacle. In cold weather, the rubber is inflexible. It is very easy to crush the upper portion of the rubber shield while inserting the J1772 charging plug. Over time, that will defeat the weatherizing capability of the rubber shield, let water in, and you can guess the rest.
  • MarionSpyder NY likes this

#9 OFFLINE   peterwx

peterwx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationblank
  • Current Vehicle:blank

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Another flaw is the rubber shield above the charging receptacle. In cold weather, the rubber is inflexible. It is very easy to crush the upper portion of the rubber shield while inserting the J1772 charging plug. Over time, that will defeat the weatherizing capability of the rubber shield, let water in, and you can guess the rest.

Agreed. Glitchy. My rubber shield was bent inward by the J1772 plug during my first week of ownership. I pushed it out of the way and it has not been a problem since but is still warped. Small glitch for a first year model though. I'll watch it for my 3-year 36k miles and make them fix when they update in later year models with a better piece of rubber. 

#10 OFFLINE   oftenon

oftenon

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Another flaw is the simple inability to lock the cover to keep kids from playing with it when it's parked outside.

#11 OFFLINE   chemicalkev

chemicalkev

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOntario
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

Has anyone found a solution or fix for the original problem of water collecting at the bottom of the plug ring?  I am concerned that this could cause rusting, or possibly freeze and crack something (I live in Canada).

#12 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

I wish for a light the door was open I have forgotten to close it a couple of times

#13 OFFLINE   FordServiceCA

FordServiceCA

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOakville, ON
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Has anyone found a solution or fix for the original problem of water collecting at the bottom of the plug ring?  I am concerned that this could cause rusting, or possibly freeze and crack something (I live in Canada).

Thanks for reaching out about this, chemicalkev. Have you had the service department at your local Ford dealership look into this? I suggest speaking to them about the plug ring, as they're best able to assist with this. 

Brittany

#14 OFFLINE   SSE

SSE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOutside Atlanta GA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

So has anyone figured out how to turn off the visual feedback from the charge ring, when the car is charging?

I park my car outside, charger is exterior model from Leviton.  It turns out that the pulsing

blue light is just too tempting for teenagers to walk past late at night without messing with it.

I have video surveylance of my parking place and charger.  Got a great video of a young man

coming up next to the house, looking around, then trying to figure out how to unplug the car.

He eventually figured it out, and ran away. 

Now I could rig the handle to deliver a shock to anyone trying to mess with it without disarming...

But I think it would be better to have the option to turn off the stupid light ring...

This might be too late LOL but I was able to turn mine off through a screen in the settings menu (I believe it's settings, I just wandered a bit). I also was concerned with it glowing and blinking while it was charging in an otherwise relatively dark driveway at night.

#15 OFFLINE   chryssa

chryssa

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

A good application of silicone helps keep water from collecting and keeps the rubber supple.   I also had a magnetic sign company make a cover for Slug: tn_gallery_139_49_1004848.jpg

#16 OFFLINE   JeanLucBlue

JeanLucBlue

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX ENERGI

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

Hey all,  I am going to get flak for saying this and I am sorry but I need to say it... when the Ford Service people respond to our questions/problems here, can we get an answer other than go to your service department and have them look at it, or let me know how it turns out after you go to a Service Department and I will look into it further? I know there probably isn't an answer, and yet there may be, but can that person do some research with at their level with Ford and get back to us with results (if any)?

Take this posting for example, why doesn't Brittany go to development, research or engineers (whom ever) and do some research for us? It would be nice if it was a known problem, with a possible fix, that we could take with us to the dealers in case they look at it and scratch their heads.

I am not picking on Brittany, but I wanted to put this out there.

Go ahead let me have it...

• SSE likes this

#17 OFFLINE   SSE

SSE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOutside Atlanta GA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

A good application of silicone helps keep water from collecting and keeps the rubber supple.   I also had a magnetic sign company make a cover for Slug: tn_gallery_139_49_1004848.jpg

Hi Chryssa, I would be interested to see your cover picture but it's too small to really make out. Could you by chance upload a larger one? thanks

#18 OFFLINE   chryssa

chryssa

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

SSE, sorry but I'm not tech savvy.  Pic opens larger in the gallery:  http://fordcmaxenerg...lug-with-cover/

Slug with cover

• SSE likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·