Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

TSB 16-0157 -- service scam?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,468 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

I'm sorry for your troubles alta, what I meant by my post is that many people don't have issues, the ones that do are posting about it, but the ones that don't you never hear from them.  The 12v battery thing seems to sound really bad, but its probably a small percentage of the cars that have that issue.  Thankfully mine has been perfect for me.

As far as the HVB, I preached to people about how to take care of their batteries since 2014, but many times I got laughed out of the forum so to speak people saying "Why should I do this and that??!"  Ford programmed the car to work the way it should and I just plug it and forget it and/or I drive however I want and there is protection already for the battery, etc, etc.  You know what I mean, you can find such posts here if you search.

Anyway, I have a good background for this, and I tried to educate people about it and tell them they won't see degradation now but 2 years from now if they keep up their practices on their new car, and now we see that sort of thing.  Yes for sure all batteries degrade, but you can lessen it or make it worse depending on your usage habits.

Anyway, I do hope you get things sorted out, and hopefully you will get some of your money back for the updates, I agree it seems quite excessive.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 15 May 2017 - 11:09 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

Yep and I appreciate the sentiment with regards to the scandalous charges for a FORD design malfunction.  

The HVB should have had better cooling in the design.   The Li battery care would be pretty difficult if you happened to live in a CA, NV low desert environment and have no AC in the garage.  For 4 or five months of the year you would either never run EV only and have limited opportunities for driving EV or charging at cooler temps.   IF the temp doesn't drop below 88-90 and gets in the 100s everyday, what does battery care look like?

The vehicle should have been designed to protect the very expensive Li powersource through adequate cooling without hindering regular driving practices in the summer months or if you have a heat trap garage/charging zone.

Being ignorant of the battery cooling issues two summers ago, I drove to the in laws about 15 miles away in higher temps and chargedoutside their home on a couple of occasions in the same heat.  I think those couple of high heat driving/charging occasions could have degraded my cells.  

I think the battery care information you have posted is valuable and should be followed by anyone looking to protect and get maximum charge capacity out of the traction battery cells.

Edited by altabrig, 15 May 2017 - 11:06 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:17 AM

Seems to be an issue with the rear door latch, and some sort of computer/programming issue.  I'm curious as to how often those who don't have issues open/close the rear hatch.  Of course everyone's use would be different...

I subscribed/purchased the FMP because I have familiarity with the Toyota Techstream and was curious if I could possibly save as my wife's is out of warranty.  So far J2534 seems to work for Toyota, and since the cable notes it supports that I just needed to subscribe for about $33.  But Ford's FMP software doesn't work well with it.  It noted an ABS update, but was not able to flash it.  I then somehow found the PCM had an update and flashed that.  It again noted the ABS update, but failed, again.  Seems like the official tool is the VCM II and I'd just send the car to the dealer before I bought one of those.  Dropped the car off at around 11 but got no news.  Seems like the adviser didn't even know what I was talking about, but did note it on the work order that the mechanic would see when I asked if he would see my note if I wrote it on the receipt I was signing....

Regarding protecting the battery, I have seen the instructions you posted.  They are complicated for me....  Some I don't understand.  For example if you are going up a high mountain and are going to go down the other side, you don't let your battery drain?  Then you'll have a highly charged battery and can't use regeneration on the the way down...  (Maybe I didn't read carefully....)  I guess that protects the battery, at cost of brakes/fuel as you need engine braking?

#24 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,468 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:53 AM

As far as the long hills, what I do is use the battery earlier on so that there is some room for it to regen on the way down.  But I don't use it to climb the steep hill, that will be alot of load on it.  For example between NY and PA there is a long hill.  I have to make sure I use some battery earlier on the highway or trip as I need at least 10% free for regen on the way down.

Think ahead if you can, its not too complicated.  Regen is unavoidable but high drain climbing a mountain is.

-=>Raja.

• jzchen likes this

#25 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

So after $600 dumped on wiring inspection and module reprogramming.

I just got these messages from MFM.

Went down at 1:30.   TOTALLY DEAD.  UP THE CREEK.

• 05/17/2017 1:33:57 pmChunk: 12-volt battery is low
  • 05/17/2017 1:25:05 pmChunk: 12-volt battery is low
  • 05/17/2017 1:24:06 pmChunk may have incorrect clock settings which will affect charging, GO Times, and more.
  • 05/17/2017 1:24:06 pmChunk: 12-volt battery is low

#26 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Just thinking........ I'd personally go pull some related fuses (my car is getting a new transmission or I would look to see what I would pull) and see if it resets itself.

Edited by Perry Knopp, 17 May 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

It is good troubleshooting advice given the randomness of the error codes generating the incorrect mfm info.  I was going to but I can't open the trunk til I get a jump.

#28 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

This is old and similar to the TSB 16-0157.  Should be  a recall if the wiring has been corrupted and TCUs going bad since they rolled of the line.   Ford needs to step up and fix this.  Not regular wear and tear to fail in the first 4 years.

the problem is that as the car sits overnight there are comuters in the car that stay on for a long time, some go off and then come back on again , the fix for this problem is to update ALL modules on the car, about 80% of them have updates, and they consist of makeing sure that they dont stay on for a long time when the car is off, after all the modules have been updated, then have them put a new battery in the car, remove any codes in all the modules and performe a battery monitor reset, then all your problems should be gone , ford knows about this problem and there are TSB and messages on fords Oasis to cure this problem ,
-
we can go back and forth on this page
-
Chris
-
TSB 14-0155 HYBRID AND ENERGI – DISCHARGED 12 VOLT BATTERY
Publication Date: August 27, 2014
FORD: 2013-2014 C-MAX
This article supersedes TSB 13-7-10 to update the model years, Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.
ISSUE:
Some 2013-2014 C-MAX Hybrid and Energi vehicles may experience a concern with a discharged 12 volt battery.
ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1.Disconnect the 12-volt battery. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-01.
2.Connect the Rotunda Midtronics GR1-190 or GRX-3590 Diagnostic Battery Charger to the vehicle’s battery terminal posts only. Battery cables must be removed and no other connections, such as body ground, can be in the circuit during testing.
a.Select diagnostic fast charge.
b.On GR1-190 only - select above 400 km (250 miles) or below 400 km (250 miles) based on vehicle mileage.
c.Select battery type Lead Acid.
d.Enter cold cranking amp (CCA) rating of 390 CCA.
3.Did the battery pass the load test?
a.Yes - allow battery to fully charge. After charging is complete, reconnect the 12-volt battery. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01. Proceed to Step 4.
b.No - record the failure code. Replace the battery. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01. Make sure the 12-volt battery is fully charged. Using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) service tool, perform the battery monitoring system (BMS). Reset after the new battery is connected. Proceed to Step 4.
4.Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM), DC/DC converter (DCDC), instrument panel cluster (IPC), gateway module (GWM) and, if equipped with the 4.2-inch display, the front control / display interface module (FCDIM) using IDS release 91.05 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to guarantee you will receive the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.
a.Inspect vehicle communication module (VCM) and cables for any damage. Make sure scan tool connections are not interrupted during programming.
b.Turn off all accessories (radio, heated/cooled seats, head lamps, interior lamps, HVAC system, etc.) and close doors.
c.Disconnect or depower any aftermarket accessories.
d.Disable IDS scan tool sleep mode, screen saver and hibernation modes.
e.Create all sessions key on engine off (KOEO). Starting the vehicle before creating a session will cause errors within the programming inhale process.
f.Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.
5.Is the vehicle an Energi built on or before 9/12/2013?
a.Yes - replace telematics control unit (TCU) Module. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00. Proceed to Step 6.
b.No - proceed to Step 6.
6.Is the vehicle built on or before 6/3/2013?
a.Yes - proceed to Step 7.
b.No - proceed to Step 8.
7.Inspect wiring for damage or chafing in rear liftgate area, driver door connector wire harness C339, and front passenger door connector wire harness C340 (Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4). Is damage or chafing present?
Figure 1 - 14-0155
Figure 2 - 14-0155
Figure 3 - 14-0155
Figure 4 - 14-0155
a.Yes - repair circuits as needed. Refer to Wiring Diagram (WD), Section 5-1. After repair, wrap affected area with 3M™ Temflex™ Cotton Friction Tape or equivalent to prevent future concerns. Proceed to step 8.
b.No - wrap affected area with 3M™ Temflex™ Cotton Friction Tape or equivalent to prevent future concerns. Proceed to step 8.
8.Print information sheet and provide to customer. Communicate to customer that Ford recommends disconnecting any devices attached to the auxiliary power port, USB port and OBDII port when the vehicle is turned off (e.g. cell phone chargers, USB devices, insurance company snapshot devices, etc.). (Figure 5)
Obtain Locally
Part Number Part Description
1755 3M™ Temflex™ Cotton Friction Tape
PART NUMBER PART NAME
DM5Z-19K350-B DM5Z-19K350-B TCU Module
BXT-67R BXT-67R 12-V Battery
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES
13B12
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
140155A 2013-2014 C-MAX Hybrid: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.0 Hr.
140155B 2013-2014 C-MAX Hybrid: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.1 Hrs.
140155C 2013-2014 C-MAX Hybrid: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.7 Hrs.
140155D 2013-2014 C-MAX Hybrid: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.8 Hrs.
140155E 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.2 Hrs.
140155F 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.5 Hrs.
140155G 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.9 Hrs.
140155H 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.1 Hrs.
140155J 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.7 Hrs.
140155K 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.9 Hrs.
140155L 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.3 Hrs.
140155M 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.6 Hrs.

#29 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

and another guide with picture  same routine different module patch most likely,

http://ford.oemdtc.c...2014-ford-c-max

#30 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

I totally get that if a part wears out and the warranty is gone I need to pay for it.  I do *not* get why I'm on the hook if Ford installs software updates that break their operating system.  Were it hardware, this would be the scenario: Ford comes into my garage and installs a new part without telling me.  The new part breaks the old parts, and now they want me to pay for the old parts.

And, the dealer could never explain why some software installations and updates were automatic and through the the modem (that is, the updates that broke the underlying system), and some couldn't be done that way and required that I pay for them.

Most disturbingly, the dealer strongly took the position that this was just going to keep happening -- software would keeping becoming obsolete and failing (rendering the car inoperable), and I'd have to keep paying for updates.  So, basically, the worse their software was the more profit they would make at my expense.

It is enough to make one sick.

I am so ticked.   This is a failure for those who have this issue.  I keep getting random clock setting, uplugged while charging mFM messages that are incorrect and the 12v message, then I can't get it going without a jump.   

AFTER $600 and back to square one, who much will the stealership try to pinch me for.  GOT me over the FORD barrel.

My $600 repair lasted 4 days.  Back to square one.   I am sure it wont be the work they did (warrantied), but the work the didn't do ($$$$).     ARGH.

The car is 4 years old with electrical that doesn't work.  COME on FORD.    

and please refrain from showering me with your wonderful choice to buy and extended warranty.  Cars with these issues are failures.    I hope your CMAXs run like a dream.  

After reading many hybrid and energi owners issues, this is an ongoing failure for a large number of CMAXs and FORD needs to step up and fix it at their expense.  

For crying out loud many fixes don't even work (like mine) and the problem keeps recurring.

Edited by altabrig, 17 May 2017 - 03:21 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,468 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

About the random clock thing, I'm getting that too all of a sudden and so is my buddy Ansy here in MA.  So its not an "issue" specific to your problems.  I just ignore it for now.

-=>Raja.

#32 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

I am not seeing any clock issues thank god. I am approaching 4 years of ownership and am on my third battery. 18 months each on the first two. All the programming updates and winning checks have been done due to the past problems so I am very interested in how things work out when I get to 18 months and beyond with this 12V battery.

Tom

#33 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

Yeah the clock may effect charge time, vehicle ready to charge (not in the vicinity of a charger) and the vehicle had an accidental unplug while charging (when not in the vicinity of a charger and not charing) alerts are all incorrect.   The ready to begin charging message (when not in the vicinity of a charger) has occurred for me since the modem change.

The clock message was a first when the 12v messages occurred yesterday along with the dead battery and lockout for the second time in less then a week (after $600 of unnecessary work).  Originally after the first dead 12v I took the car in for a new 12v.   Told the battery was good and that I needed the $600 wiring inspection and module reprogram.   

In my neck of the woods,  a lot of folks with much more $ than I must not bat an eye and such charges.   For me they are brutal.  But unforgivable when done unnecessarily or with zero result.

I hope I am wrong, but preparing for unpleasant experience going forward by documenting, writing letters, reviews on sites, etc.  if the fix is not quick and final.

#34 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

My wife picked up the car after another 1.5 days in the shop (Theodore Robbins Ford in Costa Mesa).   The dealer could not replicate the dead battery and said the car has no problems.   On top of that, they  gave no valuable information.   Pretty much past 2 strikes.   Each interaction has been painful.   What happened to customer service?

They couldn't replicate it before when I dropped off the car for a new battery (which I did not get).   They tested the battery and told me it was holding charge and proceeded with the TSB work that did nothing because I  still had a dead car within a week. 

They gave me a $600 inspection and reprogram of the modules and I have the same problem 5 days later.   They did do the latch recall this time which they should have done last time.

Not sure to start with the dealer for reimbursement for unnecessary work that fixed nothing or go straight to FORD?  I had a member PM me a suggestion about posting reviews which may help any other suggestions welcome (aside from the guy on the fusion site who wants to tout his choice of buying an extended warranty.)   IMO this is both and Engineering problem caused by FORD, not normal wear and tear, and a dealership issue for not properly diagnosing the problem and doing unecessary work that gave no results due to the same issue (dead battery) repeating.

My guess is that if I had just bought a battery late last Thursday from an Autozone 15 miles away (the only 67R battery I could find local) and installed it, I wouldn't be experiencing the dead battery issue.

From NHTSA website:

https://www.nhtsa.go.../FWD#complaints

NHTSA ID Number: 10916481

Incident Date October 17, 2016

Consumer Location CHARLESTON, SC

Vehicle Identification Number 1FADP5BU9DL****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

WE PURCHASED THIS CAR USED IN SEPTEMBER, 2016 AND IT HAD 33,000 MILES ON IT. ONE WEEK AFTER WE BOUGHT IT WE RETURNED TO THE CAR FROM DINNER AND FOUND IT WOULDN'T START. HAD IT JUMPED AND CONTINUED ON OUR WAY. ONE WEEK AGO WE WENT TO START THE CAR AFTER IT SAT IN THE DRIVEWAY OVERNIGHT AND THE SAME THING: BATTERY WAS DEAD. WE HAD IT JUMPED. THIS MORNING, AFTER SITTING IN THE DRIVEWAY OVERNIGHT, IT WOULDN'T START AGAIN, BATTERY DEAD. THIS IS THE THIRD TIME IN JUST OVER A MONTH OUR BATTERY HAS GONE DEAD. 

THIS SITE IS FULL OF REPORTS OF THIS HAPPENING, AND FORD DEALERS ARE UNABLE TO FIX THE PROBLEM. WHY HASN'T THIS CAR BEEN RECALLED? FORD NEEDS TO OFFER REPLACEMENT VEHICLES TO ANYONE UNFORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE PURCHASED ONE OF THESE LEMONS.

NHTSA ID Number: 10884517

Incident Date July 30, 2014

Consumer Location CALHOUN CITY, MS

Vehicle Identification Number 1FADP5AU9DL****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2013 FORD C-MAX. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE VEHICLE FAILED TO START. THE BATTERY WAS REPLACED, BUT THE FAILURE RECURRED THREE WEEKS LATER. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO AN INDEPENDENT MECHANIC; HOWEVER; THE VEHICLE WAS NOT DIAGNOSED OR REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOT NOTIFIED OF THE FAILURE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 300.

NHTSA ID Number: 10862914

Incident Date May 2, 2016

Consumer Location PITTSBURG, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 1FADP5CU5DL****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

MY CAR FAILED TO START FOR 2 CONSECUTIVE DAYS AFTER NON-OPERATION OVERNIGHT AND WHEN I TOOK THE DEALERSHIP THEY SAID THEY NEED TO PERFORM A TSB 15-0089, SINCE MY CAR WAS OUT OF WARRANTY LESS THAN 2 MONTHS, FORD SAID I NEED TO PAY $1500 TO FIX THIS ISSUE. BASED ON RESEARCH THIS ISSUES SEEMS TO AFFECT MULTIPLE VEHICLES IN THIS CATEGORY AND FORD IS NOT OWNING UP TO FIXING THIS ISSUE THAT IS AFFECTING THESE CARS.

Edited by altabrig, 19 May 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Color:Magnetic
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

I believe there are two problems here.
Problem one is the original cause of the battery drain. (I suspect the TCU)
Problem two is the battery is now partly defective due to being completely drained and is now not holding as much. It will likely test fine for 5 seconds (typical battery tester) but would fail a longer drain test.

Another issue is the incompetence of the dealers. I have found that there are a large number of terrible employees and only a small fraction of good ones that could properly diagnose any issue.
My guess is your tech just searches battery issue and applies the first thing he sees vs attempting to identify the Cause.

I would suggest this.

Fully charge your 12v on an independent battery charger.

Disconnect the 12v battery and leave disconnected for 5Min.
Reconnect battery and see if your battery gets drained again.

If there is a computer module that's hung up causing the battery drain (I suspect it is) the battery unless disconnected completely will still have a charge in the system and the module won't fully power down.

#36 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

Thanks Josh.  I am sure you are right about the dealer not giving enough time to drain.  It probably is a module.

Exactly why FORD and should be fixing this.  The dealer shouldn't be doing TSB fixes for this kind of electrical/digital engineering fail on my dime, irregardless of the fact that the work was ineffective.   

A workaround would be nice too, but I can go out each day with a charger to boost my car if this happens again and again.  2x in less than a week with money spent on incompetent diagnosis and zero results for $$$ labor.  WTH?  

Can't let the family out in an unreliable vehicle.   That HVB battery is and expensive brick real  quick when the modules and 12v get screwy.

What a letdown.   I was psyched to drive this thing for another decade and get another FORD Electric or PHEV and looking forward to the release of the F-150.   This crap isn't helping my brand loyalty in anyway.

#37 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

I am going to post the TSB regarding the TCU on pre-9/13 mfg vehicles.  IT is pre 6.13 for the wiring and 9.13 for the TCU I believe.

Was the vehicle built on or before 12-Sep-2013?

1. Yes – replace the telematics control unit (TCU)/embedded modem. When completing Programmable Module Installation (PMI) select automatic process for as-built data entry. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00. Proceed to Step 6.
  1. No – proceed to Step 6.

It should be on FORD's dime since the TCU has been incompatible with updates or malfunctioning since 2013 per the various TSBs regarding the battery issues on the ENERGI.  Seems like a customer/consumer goodwill for those that bought the pre 6.13 Energis.

I brought my car in for the battery (because I figured that would be the best option after the battery died) and got sold (actually my wife did) a TSB 16-1057 that if followed correctly per the PRE 9.13 manufacture date requires the  installation of the TCU (which was not done).    

The TSB also allocates 1.4 hours for the work done on my vehicle and the dealer charged us for 4.3 hours at $140 per hour.  After talking to the mechanic and figuring out the work required -1.4 hours seems liberal.

With the TCU install (as it should have been done ), the total hours only bumps up to 1.9 hours.   FORD note that none of the TSB steps are combined and service can only bill for one.

I am not sure what is more infuriating.   The egregious overcharging and obfuscation on the invoice, the incorrect TSB service, or the glaring fact that the car may have been fine with a new batter (which is why I brought it in.)

HERE is the TSB step by step information as well as billing.  THE STEP Numbers got converted to 1. on all when I cut and paste.  To see the actual numbering of the steps pleas visit the site through the link below.

http://ford.oemdtc.c...2014-ford-c-max

TSB 16-0157 C-MAX ENERGI – DISCHARGED 12 VOLT BATTERY Publication Date: December 1, 2016

FORD: 2013-2014 C-MAX

This article supersedes TSB 15-0089 to update the Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi vehicles may exhibit a concern with a discharged 12 volt battery.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the 12 volt battery. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-01.
  1. Connect the Rotunda Midtronics GR1-190 or GRX-3590 Diagnostic Battery Charger to the vehicle’s battery terminal posts only. Battery cables must be removed and no other connections, such as body ground, can be in the circuit during testing.
    1. Select diagnostic fast charge.
    1. On GR1-190 only – select above 400 km (250 miles) or below 400 km (250 miles) based on vehicle mileage.
    1. Select battery type Lead Acid.
    1. Enter cold cranking amp (CCA) rating of 390 CCA.
  1. Did the battery pass the load test?
    1. Yes – allow battery to fully charge. After charging is complete, reconnect the 12 volt battery. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01. Proceed to Step 4.
    1. No – record the failure code. Replace the battery. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01. Make sure the new 12 volt battery is fully charged. Using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) service tool, perform the battery monitoring system (BMS) reset after the new battery is connected. Proceed to Step 4.
  1. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM), DC/DC converter (DCDC), instrument panel cluster (IPC), and gateway module (GWM) using IDS release 102.04 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to guarantee you will receive the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.
    1. Inspect vehicle communication module (VCM) and cables for any damage. Make sure scan tool connections are not interrupted during programming.
    1. Connect the VCM to the vehicle’s primary data link connector (DLC). Do not connect the VCM to the GWM data link connector.
    1. Turn off all accessories (radio, heated/cooled seats, headlamps, interior lamps, HVAC system) and close doors.
    1. Disconnect any aftermarket accessories.
    1. Disable sleep mode, screen saver and hibernation modes on the computer used for IDS.
    1. Create all IDS vehicle sessions key on engine off (KOEO). Starting the vehicle before creating a session will cause errors within the programming inhale process.
    1. Connect a battery charger to the 12 volt battery.
  1. Was the vehicle built on or before 12-Sep-2013?
    1. Yes – replace the telematics control unit (TCU)/embedded modem. When completing Programmable Module Installation (PMI) select automatic process for as-built data entry. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00. Proceed to Step 6.
  1. Was the vehicle built on or before 3-Jun-2013?
    1. Yes – proceed to Step 7.
    1. No – proceed to Step 8.
  1. Inspect the wiring for damage or chafing in the rear liftgate area, driver door connector wire harness C339 and front passenger door connector wire harness C340 (Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4). Is damage or chafing present?
    tb10582a.jpg
    Figure 1 – 16-0157 

tb10583a.jpg
    Figure 2 – 16-0157

tb10584a.jpg
    Figure 3 – 16-0157
    tb10585a.jpg
    Figure 4 – 16-0157

1. Yes – repair the circuits as needed. Refer to Wiring Diagram(WD), Section 5-1. After repair, wrap the affected area with 3M Temflex Cotton Friction Tape or equivalent to prevent future concerns. Proceed to Step 8.
    1. No – wrap affected area with 3M Temflex Cotton Friction Tape or equivalent to prevent future concerns. Proceed to Step 8.
  1. Print the information sheet and provide to the customer. Communicate to the customer that Ford recommends disconnecting any devices attached to the auxiliary power port, USB port and OBDII port when the vehicle is turned off. (such as cell phone chargers, USB devices, insurance company snapshot devices). (Figure 5)

PART NUMBER PART NAME GM5Z-14G229-BD TCU Module BXT-67R 12 Volt Battery

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
160157A 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.4 Hrs.
160157B 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.7 Hrs.
160157C 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.1 Hrs.
160157D 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.3 Hrs.
160157E 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.9 Hrs.
160157F 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect Wiring Pass (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.1 Hrs.
160157G 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Charge Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.6 Hrs.
160157H 2013-2014 C-MAX Energi: Diagnose And Replace Battery, Reprogram Modules, Replace The TCU Module, Inspect And Repair Wiring (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.8 Hrs.

On my vehicle  TSB-16-1057 A   1.4 hours was followed but wrong due to the information here within the above TSB:  

Was the vehicle built on or before 12-Sep-2013?

They should have done TSB 16 -1057 E which required 1.9 Total hours labor and the cost of the TCU part.   Still was overcharged almost $400 for the 160157A they performed which is criminal.  I have no faith in the BBB and expect my only recourse after direct appeal to the service manager and GM is through online review sites by citing the evidence of this fraud. 

Brought the information to the service managers attention, we'll see what happens.   Sure with they had just put in the new 67R as requested.

Edited by altabrig, 23 May 2017 - 11:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·