Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

SiriusXM bad sound quality

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:41 PM

I was playing around with the functions of the entertainment system and saw that I had trial SiriusXM enabled. I really cant see why anyone would pay good money for that. The sound quality is worse than FM. Already got one phone call and snail mail from them trying to get me to sign up. They can keep it.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

Satellite radio is highly compressed to fit as many channels into the bandwidth as possible.  The sound quality is fine for talk radio, but not for music.  I gave up on it a long time ago; especially since terrestrial radio went HD.

#3 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

If you can get it cheap enough it is at least an argument. Lower quality for no commercials. 

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

I only have one local FM HD station which is my favorite but the rest have horrible programming and commercials.  Unless it's a very long trip, I don't like pulling out my phone to listen to it because that's a PITA and by the time it loads (I don't have strong cellular either) I'm nearly to my usual destinations.  Adding additional data to my family plan (kids) to cover both me and my wife's long commute would just about cover SAT programming costs.   Although the SAT sound quality isn't great, it's clear and we both greatly prefer the non-commercial formats.   I don't live in a big media market so local radio commercials are HORRIBLE and very repetitive (not enough sponsors).  I won't say I gladly pay for programming but I'm very glad it's an option I have.

• Perry Knopp likes this

#5 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

I ended up using a thumb drive with a ton of music on it. That works perfectly, and no commercials.

• eppyphotog likes this

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

I ended up using a thumb drive with a ton of music on it. That works perfectly, and no commercials.

I should have mentioned I've tried that route too.  Most of my music is, well, old.   :hysterical3:   But it's ripped from my CD's so it sounds really good!    :happy feet:

#7 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

What format did you use? Did you just copy the music from an Apple or Microsoft music library? Did you take the file structure like it is in the libraries or did you just copy a whole bunch of separate song files?

#8 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

I copied folders from my Music library directly onto the USB stick and it worked well. 

#9 OFFLINE   Randy Hammons

Randy Hammons

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302A with Pano

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:28 AM

I agree, but my wife doesn't seem to care, no matter how much I point it out. More often than not, when I'm the driver, I'll bluetooth stream a high quality stream from Google Play Music over the XM subscription.  

#10 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

More often than not, when I'm the driver, I'll bluetooth stream a high quality stream from Google Play Music over the XM subscription.  

By streaming audio over bluetooth, you are still compressing the music, maybe not as bad as XM does it, but artifacts are still there.  Better to plug your phone into USB.

#11 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Whenever I  try using music from USB drives I always get a copyright error and no music.  What am I doing wrong?

#12 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

Are you using apple format music, or some weird temporary license stuff like google play off line? try just ripping a CD to standard MP3 format, or if you have a bunch of CDs you bought through Amazon, you can download the music directly from Amazon as MP3.
  • tr7driver likes this

#13 OFFLINE   JonC

JonC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

There may actually be something wrong.  I don't notice a sound quality difference between my iPhone connected to USB vs the SiriusXM that they decided to turn on without me asking.  (I got a letter telling me they had enabled a free trial - they seem desperate to get me to pay them, which isn't going to happen.)

#14 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

Back when I was a kid growing up In Cleveland Ohio we had the wonderful radio station. WMMS. One of the long time disk jockeys was Lawrence Travagliante or better known as Kid Leo. He now has a program on Little Stevens Garage channel. Brings back a lot of memories. Most car radio's didn't sound so good then either. LOL

#15 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

Are you using apple format music, or some weird temporary license stuff like google play off line? try just ripping a CD to standard MP3 format, or if you have a bunch of CDs you bought through Amazon, you can download the music directly from Amazon as MP3.

Most are music from cd's that I own and copied to the memory.  I have one stick I bought from Jim Massina that was designed to play in the car.  I can plug it into my computer and play it, but when I plug it into the car i get no love.

Edited by tr7driver, 09 January 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Back when I was a kid growing up In Cleveland Ohio we had the wonderful radio station. WMMS. One of the long time disk jockeys was Lawrence Travagliante or better known as Kid Leo. He now has a program on Little Stevens Garage channel. Brings back a lot of memories. Most car radio's didn't sound so good then either. LOL

mms hasn't been the same since he left.

• Perry Knopp likes this

#17 OFFLINE   Joewo

Joewo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

Have you adjusted the audio settings of the stereo?  I found that yes Sirius/XM is not as good fidelity as a local FM station or mp3s however adjusting the trebel and bass and adjusting the option that moves the center of audio around the car.....and there is another setting that has a specific term that escapes me now but it moves the audio according to whether the audio is centered for the driver or passengers.  My Sirius audio for the CMax has been adjusted by my trial and error and it sounds plenty decent.  We often go on long drives in the car and being able to keep so many audio sources on such a long trip is pretty nice.  By the way if you really want to hear bad audio on Sirius listen to the Canadian music stations....the content is decent but audio wise they must actually TRY to make those stations sound inhumane. 

#18 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

To my ears, Sirius music is unbearable, a synthetic simulation of real sound. I'd rather hear nothing at all, but I have many other choices as close as my phone. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·