Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Today I graduated from the Air Filter Academy!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:38 PM

After getting back from FL, the oil change light was on and the car was due for the 60k mile service.  Actually its now to 61277 miles and yesterday I burned some gas coming from from a distance trip to Needham on one charge so the engine was ripe for an oil change while it was still hot.

I drove the car up on the ramps and proceeded to take out the bottom cover.  8 screws and that dropped out of the way, then 1 screw and we were draining the oil.  I replaced the filter as well though it did leak all over my wrist while I was taking it off and run down my sleeve some.  Yuk.  Maybe there is a better way, probably need to loosen it some and let it leak out first before taking it off all the way.

The engine on the bottom looks pristine, I don't see any oil leaks or seepage anywhere, just perfect I'm impressed.  I put a new filter and replaced the drain plug, and then put the cover back on and filled the car back up with oil.  The capacity is 4.5 quarts.

This morning I decided to do the inevitable, replace air filters.  I watched the Philipino guy video and did it that same way.  My filter that came out after 61k miles wasn't too bad at all in my opinion, I took a photo for Tom, see below, and replaced it anyways since I had a new one in my garage.  Note that I don't use the climate control much, for AC mostly and for heat only on long trips when the ice is running.  Otherwise if I'm not going anywhere during the winter I'm riding around "cold turkey" so to speak on EV power only.

Later after that event was done, I thought I better check the engine air filter.  I had to remove the intake hose to the filter as well as the intake hose to the engine, the connector and wire clip before I was able to get the housing off.  I opened up the filter area and the engine filter was pretty clean in my opinion, again see picture below, I just used the air compressor to blow some dust off of it and clean up the housing and I put it back.

It was very hard trying to put the filter assembly back on top of the engine.  I found it much easier to remove the 2 bolts for the air intake scoop and remove that entirely, then the engine filter assembly went on very easily.  I would recommend that in the future, 2 additional screws but its alot easier that way.

After what I saw today, I figure the next service will be at 120k miles I don't see the need to do anything any sooner.  As far as oil changes, every 20k miles seems to be a good number for me as well, the ice would have run somewhere around 10k miles or slightly less in that amount of miles.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 24 December 2016 - 04:45 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:49 AM

Raja, Merry Christmas.

That cabin filter was overdue. It is easier to change the second time around.

The ICE filter was in good shape. When I changed the ICE filter I saved the old one and cleaned it with my sad compressor since it looks so good I will put it back in for next time around.

Tom

#3 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

I would say the engine air filter would need replacement/cleaning every 30-40k engine miles but can certainly be stretched to 60k if you don't drive gravel roads.
My wife's old 2013 escape needed cleaning/replacement at 30k but she drives on a large gravel parking lot 2-3 time a day. It was pretty filthy. The cabin filter was much worse and had a funk.

#4 OFFLINE   JonC

JonC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationTN
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:15 AM

Raja, Merry Christmas.

That cabin filter was overdue. It is easier to change the second time around.

The ICE filter was in good shape. When I changed the ICE filter I saved the old one and cleaned it with my sad compressor since it looks so good I will put it back in for next time around.

Tom

That's really not a good idea.

Cleaning an air filter by blowing air through it with a compressor can put very small holes it it, which will let small particles through and increase engine wear.  You may not be able to see the holes without magnification, but they're probably there.

Air filters aren't that expensive, it's not a good idea to risk your engine.

If you want to be able to clean and reuse your air filter, get a K&N, not a paper filter, and don't clean it with compressed air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·